Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics To fight or not to fight?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: To fight or not to fight?

quote big_gene75:

I hope you have a gun and are smart enough to stand back when you deploy it because if I can touch you youíre screwed

cj’s dad – u scare me with just your statements! lol!!

I seem to get that a lot :dunno:

Strange considering Iím a pacifist. :rolleyes:

2pennytravel

you did the right thing man. im new to krav but the fact that you left without hurting the guy really shows some self-control which most people wouldnt have… way to be a true krav maga-istrofl2

stevetuna

What we teach the km-X kids:

Walk away if you can.

Run away if you have to.

Defend yourself if you must. And do it very well.

(We teach the same to the adults as well. The kids just seem to get it faster.)

You did well, Edmundich.

ryan

Fight if you have to or you are getting paid to…

dkatman

It is a funny thing when we spend so much time and energy training that we then wonder what it might be like to use on the street, outside of a gym, with someone who doesn’t know to do the inside defense against the left straight that is coming. 🙂

But the biggest question is: What was your intention? Did you walk the streets looking for a fight? Did you walk the streets looking for food? Did you eat? In that instance, I see it more as you losing if that guy got you to abandon your gameplan. You stuck to your objective. You ate.

However, at the time, what was your first move when that guy jumped up from the table and started rushing at you? Would have have been unprepared? When you decided to leave, Did you have a plan if he got up and came after you? I bet you did.

Dave

Anonymous

Edmundich.

How likely are you to run into this guy again? Perhaps you could go back to this restaurant and ask the waiters/waitresses about him to see if he’s a regular and what his story is; perhaps he even works for your company, in which case you could make these “some very strict rules” work for you, and against him.

I agree with all the advice said so far, especially Steve Tuna’s triple maxim

quote stevetuna:

Walk away if you can.

Run away if you have to.

Defend yourself if you must. And do it very well.

It seems to be that it would become more challenging (but equally important) to live by this advice even if you end up encountering this guy in future, but also take further action.

If you do encounter him again, and again and again, and the same thing happens, then not confronting him would amount to appeasing a bully (or a stalker, should he end up picking on you exclusively).

I can see the temptation to do a Mart McFly in this situation (think Biff in Back to the Future, a school playground bully and what he grows up to be), but you should start by reporting him to the police, for your sake and for the sake of your community. The problem with this approach is that that it’s risky, and in a movie like Back to the Future I/II/III nobody ever gets killed or seriously hurt (in BTTF III, they shot a scene where Biff “Mad Dog” Tannen shoots the sherif dead, but didn’t include this scene in the movie because it was too violent for the genre).

In any case, as Steve Tuna says, the final resort in an immediately threatening situation is to do what you learned in class, and do it well.

karmaok

You did the right thing. Sometimes the right thing doesn’t always feel the best, but it always requires the most courage. Never fight unless you have to but if you do, 100% commit and decide before hand you are the one walking away no matter how it goes down. Think of it this way, you walked away without a scratch and he looked like a moron. Sounds like a win to me.

edmundich

Well it would take an army to get me off my food plans :))). The guy didn’t jump, he was seating. I think, in an actual fight, I was better prepared. However, a few things came to mind: This is my first day of a job and the least thing i want is a ripped shirt. If that was club or a street, it would be different. But get involve in a fight on a parking lot of a mall, where your co-workers can you see you, I thought was inapropriate. My second thought was that he didn’t pick on me, because he didn’t like me. He would have picked at anyone who could walk in. Therefore this guy is simply crazy or on drugs. He could ve had a weapon. For all these reasons, I actually considered turning him in to the cops. And one cop was outside, a few feet away. But then at the end I just decided to walk away.

But the biggest question is: What was your intention? Did you walk the streets looking for a fight? Did you walk the streets looking for food? Did you eat? In that instance, I see it more as you losing if that guy got you to abandon your gameplan. You stuck to your objective. You ate.

However, at the time, what was your first move when that guy jumped up from the table and started rushing at you? Would have have been unprepared? When you decided to leave, Did you have a plan if he got up and came after you? I bet you did.

Dave[/quote]

kirsten

The longer you are training, the more secure you will become and the less inclined to fight you will become. So don’t give it another moments thought. You did the right thing and somebody that does that to another person unprovoked is either having a pissed off moment and wants to fight to vent, they are off their med’s, or they are just nuttier than squirrel ****. In any case what’s the point of it? It proves nothing and you may not be the one to get hurt, it could be a bystandard that gets injured…

vinman

you did the right thing, but I know how much it pisses me off when I’ve walked away from fights, wondering if I did the right thing….even when I knew that they deserved a good beating 🙂

aldub

quote Vinman:

you did the right thing, but I know how much it pisses me off when I’ve walked away from fights, wondering if I did the right thing….even when I knew that they deserved a good beating 🙂

Agree. But yes, walking away was the right thing to do

nemo-dat

Here is something to think about.
    (1) You engage him and he stabs or shoots you and you are seriously injured or killed.
    (2) You engage him and cut yourself getting AIDS or hepatitis etc. (you name the disease)
    (3) You beat his ass and get sold out by a witness and go to jail.
    (4) You beat his ass and seriously injure or kill him and have to live with it for the rest of your life.
    I donít like any of those alternatives. So IMHO you did the right thing.

g-v

Yeh, you did the right thing. But hmmm, bashing the dude’s face into the table he sat at would have been imensely more satisfying. Just sayin’. :))))

g-v

…in the short run, that is. In the long run, somebody’s gonna get hurt. And, then come the cops, and after them, the lawyers. By all accounts, it be a real sucky experience when you have to spend time in court, justifying how you reconfigured some dude’s face against a brick wall, whatnot. Yes, better to walk off and go on to enjoy your life without hassles…if you have a choice in the matter, at least.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: