Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    jstrauss

What’s taught differently between the Force Training Division and the self-defense classes? That’s probably a broad question, but in general, what makes up the majority of differences?

stevetuna

Re: Training differences

The force training is geared towards military / law enforcement. We’ll train the same combatives and self-defense techniques that you’ll get in your regular Krav Maga classes, but we also train weapons defenses, weapon retention, handcuffing techniques, arrest compliance and control techniques and other law enforcement – specific applications.

Many of the weapons defenses that we learn in the force training division are in the Krav Maga curriculum at the higher levels.

I hope this answers your question.

jstrauss

It does, perfectly. Are any of those techniques taught at the higher levels in the regular krav curriculum?

mara-jade

Weapons are taught in Level 4 – knife, gun, stick, bat, etc. I think long gun is Level 5. It’s important to get your foundation down before going to these (learn to walk before you run, etc).

Great stuffthumbsup

calove71

Is there a required level to hold in the Self defense level before attending a force training level class or instructor course.

I am just checking for future reference. I am currently going back into the National guard as an MP and hoping to get picked up as a reserve officer for my local police department.

Chris

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

weapons defensesyes starting around L2 your instructors might start giving you a taste of whats to come at the higher levels – gun, stick, knife and long gun rifle defense

weapon retentionNo, typically civilian students do not bring Sam Browns/duty belts to class as this is LE specific

handcuffing techniques, arrest compliance and control techniquesNo again LE specific not civilian applicable

kms1974

quote CJs Dad:

weapons defenses ñ yes starting around L2 your instructors might start giving you a taste of whats to come at the higher levels – gun, stick, knife and long gun rifle defense

weapon retention ñ No, typically civilian students do not bring Sam Browns/duty belts to class as this is LE specific

handcuffing techniques, arrest compliance and control techniques ñ No again LE specific not civilian applicable

Now here’s a thought, alot of people have a ccw. I think weapons ought to be taught to civilians with ccw.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

you mean retention I assume? That is kind of a niche but that would make sense in a one on one private situation. Not my call but yeah makes sense.

kms1974

Yes did mean weapons retention…lol

Unless….lol

brentw

We don’t teach weapon retention and it shouldn’t be taught to civilians as a general rule. They are part of the curriculum but it is 2nd/3rd degree blackbelt. Your job as a civilian is different. It isn’t to run into danger, it is to get away. That being said it isn’t as important.
    Two of the biggest reasons why it isn’t taught – One, if the bad guys know our weapon retention they can do it to officers/deputies. Two, if the bad guys know our weapon retention they can train to defeat it. Now, The second is easier said than done but not impossible. Even then, the more you train the easier it is and we already know bad guys train, often more and harder than us.

kms1974

quote BrentW:

We don’t teach weapon retention and it shouldn’t be taught to civilians as a general rule. They are part of the curriculum but it is 2nd/3rd degree blackbelt. Your job as a civilian is different. It isn’t to run into danger, it is to get away. That being said it isn’t as important.
    Two of the biggest reasons why it isn’t taught – One, if the bad guys know our weapon retention they can do it to officers/deputies. Two, if the bad guys know our weapon retention they can train to defeat it. Now, The second is easier said than done but not impossible. Even then, the more you train the easier it is and we already know bad guys train, often more and harder than us.

I disagree, getting away should also include escaping with your gun or your assailants gun (since weapon disarms are taught).

brentw

Most cases where weapon retention is needed are offensive in nature – ie. going into a threat, waiting for a suspect to make a decision in close quarters, moving with your weapon out, etc. – and could be avoided if you can leave. Military and LE don’t have that choice – that’s exactly what they do. The odds of having a civilian need it are slim especially when a majority of those situations can/should be avoided.

So for troop and officer safety I understand the reasons and I’ll stand by them.

As for the argument of teaching weapon take aways. One, they are defensive in nature. Two, instructors should not be teaching them to people of “low character.” We have (and instructors should) turn away anyone like that. If I ever found out that any of the people I trained were teaching those people, we would have a serious talk and it would be the end of their training.

armitage

Brent – would you consider providing Force Training Division Classes to the Private Security Sector? I ask because I am applying for a transfer with my current employer to a Hospital Security position in Denver, Colorado area – which will most likely involve carrying a Taser, Firearm, or both. I am unsure of the level of retention training they will provide, but as I will also be going in at a Supervisory/Management level, I plan on addressing any deficiencies in training standards.

This type of training would be highly useful, as Hospital Security is a very much “hands-on” assignment – at my current facility we’re unarmed (apart from handcuffs/radio), so when we have to restrain violent patients/visitors, we don’t have to worry about any weapon retention, whereas at an armed facility, this would be whole different ball-game.

Feel free to email/PM me if you’d prefer to discuss this off the boards.

paul

too me weapons retention training is not relevent for a civilian. When a LEO pulls a weapon, firing the weapon may or may not be necessary. When a civilian pulls a weapon a bullet had better be exiting the the barrel once you are on target.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Brent does make a very valid point

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: