Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    cearball

I was just wondering if most of the schools you guys train in do fight classes?

Also what level of sparring do you do in your normal classes?

The reason i ask this is that in the classes i attend we only really do slow fighting with no protective gear & pad work.

Now i love going to my class & feel that they have improved my fighting/self sefense skills but get frustrated by the slow fighting. The reason being although i think it hones technique it doesnt truly simulate a fight. For example there are times when im fighting & the guys technique is obviously better than mine but i feel that if i was allowed to truly let rip i could out manuevre & pretty much beat the guy just on speed, even if the guys technique is better than mine.
    I dont want to sound big headed by saying that, but im a skinny guy built for speed & stick n move is wot iv always done while fighting so its wot i generally rely on.

Does anyone else have these issues or is it just me?

btw this is my first post, after lurking on these forums iv finally decided to join :woohoo:

nate

Re: Training Methods

There’s a reason for slow fighting, it’s so you can learn the technique effectively, work on your aim / targeting, and train safely. I think most people who advance through the system end up taking fight classes eventually to help out with their sparring technique.

As I remember, there’s fighting / sparring on the lvl 3 test.

It sounds like you’re starting to be comfortable with your slow fighting techniques, so why not take it to a fight class and see how your technique and footwork interact in real time.

I thought I moved pretty fast too until I went into fight class and got my head knocked around pretty good.

cearball

I would love to do fight class, i want to c how i would hold up.
    Theres no option of that in my school though, the lessons are pretty much the same all days.
    There was a wednesday session that pretty much taught just ground work & was pretty rough, not enough people attended it though to make it worth while for the instrucor so its since been cancelled.

I think the reason there isnt a fight class is that theres not much demand for it off the other students. Also it could scare off some of the newbies i guess, the wednesday sessions did this until they got switched to experienced students only.

I think the main problem is that krav isnt known over in britain & doesnt have as big a following as in the US. So training is a compromise of what will draw in the biggest number of people (not scaring them off), rather than the more aggressive lessons that some schools seem to teach.

Start your own, outside the studio, with like minded people. Just make sure you all agree to respect each others’ safety and skill levels.

bracius

Shhhh! The first rule Nick, the first rule

HA! “I see some of you have broken the first two rules…”

stickfig13

I agree….

I want to fight too!

I get tired of going slow motion. I realize that some stuff isn’t safe to use in a sparring scenerio, but I would love to spare a little to see where I’m at.

At my school there are a lot of women who train. What good does it do me to defend a choke half speed from a women half my size? I would rather have the biggest guy in the room attack me (full speed) so I can feel the speed and strength.

cearball

Yeah i know wot u mean.

I dont really mind the size of my training partner as you could be attacked by anyone in the street but it be insightfull to have someone attack you at full speed/strength.

As to training with people smaller than me i learnt my lesson on underestimating them.
    My usual group of people i train with regularly are bigger/stronger than me so im used to dealing with that. However while doing one of the mainly groundwork classes there were only 5 students who turned up: 1 newbie, 2 beginners (me) & 2 advanced students.

Halfway through we switched to group attacks while one person is on the ground, the main purpose being for one of the attackers to tie up the victim on the ground while the others attack.

I hadnt really done any groundwork before so i was worried bout how i was gonna deal with the advance students. One had a good size & weight advantage on me & i thought at the time that he was involved in the army in some way, while the other was double my age or more & smaller than i was. needless to say i was worried about facing the first guy.

However when we got down to it the big guy didnt turn out as big a problem as i thought i was able to deal with him & at least tie him up if not get him to tap out. While the older guy was a completely differnt story he had me locked up n tapping out within seconds of going to the ground with him, still couldnt tell you wot he even did it seemed that fast to me & pretty much continued for the rest of the class.

Really opened my eyes about krav & the dangers of underestimating people. This had to be one of my Fav classes.

cearball

Nickolas Cook do u reckon training outside of the normal classes with no real guidance could be counter productive?

For instance end in people picking up bad habits etc.

I’d say any bad habits you have would quickly show when sparring with an experienced fighter. He/she would surely show you the error of your ways and teach what to do instead. Now if we’re talking a bunch of local s**tkickers getting together to pull a Brad Pitt, then, yeah, that could spell disaster and some missing teeth. But I’d say if at least a few of your people are experienced then they’d make the others rise to their level in no time. Enough temple shots and even I can learn to put my hands up. HA!

bkl041018

we do fight class for about two months, beginning slowly focusing on certain techniques and culminating with the final week of full contact, full speed sparring…

cearball

quote bkl041018:

we do fight class for about two months, beginning slowly focusing on certain techniques and culminating with the final week of full contact, full speed sparring…

How much do you feel fight class has help develop you as an overall fighter say to just your standard krav lessons?

Nickolas cook might sound weird but to approach some of the more experienced members of the class to c if their interested would make me feel like im insulting the instructor in some way, sorta saying that his lessons arent good enough. My friends i have joined with would b up for it but their equal or less experienced than me. Either way il bring it up in tomorrows lesson, maybe some of the students actually do their own private thing & iv just not found out.

I can see your point. It’d be different with me, I guess. I’d ask my instructor to join because she can easily kick my ass in sparring. HA! She is one tough cookie. Her groin kicks are not to be forgotten. Ever.

cearball

Wot protective gear do you wear when doing fight class?
    Wot rules do you apply?

Found three guys willing to train we want to do full contact, pretty much anything goes except eye gouging, biting & fish hooking etc.

Thinking along the lines of headguard, knee, elbow & shin pads & gum shield.

Oh yes & groin guard cant believe i forgot that one.

too much padding?

jonj480

We wear headgear, gloves, shin guards, mouthpiece and groin protection. As far as rules go… it all depends on what we are doing. Some times groin kicks are allowed, sometimes it is just boxing or kickboxing, sometimes it is mma type rules, sometimes it is 2, 3, or 6 on 1 (painful….). The main thing our instructors stress is to keep it controlled (as much as you can control chaos, lol). The goal is not to hurt or knockout your classmates, but to learn how to fight and use your vision in a dynamic situation.

I would say that we still end up getting hit pretty hard, at least I do, but the goal is not to hurt or KO classmates, but to get better at fighting. None of us are getting paid to be there and all have a job to return to in the morning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: