Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    cearball

Re: Training Methods

Ok reviving this thread problem, did some training meaning to start off slowly.
    Wearing head guards, gum shield & 14 oz gloves me & a friend went at it but we only allowed head shots. This was meant to be an easy session to get us more used to full contact sparing. Thing is accidentally almost ko’d my friend, wasnt bad he just hit the deck & was groggy for awhile. Thing is i dont think he wants to train this way again because of it so im left again with the thirst for a fight class & no training partners as there was another member who pulled out before it got physical.

Suggestions & tips in finding more partners?
    I thought it is realistic to expect a few ko’s along the way if training to be of value am i wrong in this?

blanker

why dont you go to a good muay thai or mma gym and tell them how you like training full contac?

cearball

Thought of joining a boxing class but id rather stick to just krav at the mo. Its been mentioned that sparring might be brought back in on one of the days so im hoping thts gonna happen. For now im still talking with people i train with to set up something outside of the usual lessons.

clfmak

Finding likeminded people to spar from different backgrounds is great. I train with a guy that studies savate, judo and some weapon fighting. We have all sorts of gear, so we can isolate any particular area or ruleset. I’m trying to get some good fencing masks on ebay for better weapon stuff (its been hard, because fencing enthusiasts seem to have lots of money and they keep outbidding me).

midnighter

quote CLFMak:

(its been hard, because fencing enthusiasts seem to have lots of money and they keep outbidding me).

Lol, I don’t know why, but this cracked me up.

cearball

Wot sort of weapons stuff are you planning on using the fencing mask for?

thecrownsown

The training centre I’m at has Krav, Fight Classes, and BJJ. I’ve stayed strictly with Krav but there were several others who took the INtro to Fight Class as well as the Krav Maga. There techniques and ability are amazing and you can see the pay offs when they are in the Krav classes now. I regret not starting the fight classes earlier! So, I’m signed up for the intro course starting next week. (We need 10 weeks of Intro before they let you loose into Level I ).

From what I hear from the guys who started before me, it gives excellent training and techniques and builds on your fighting skills for Krav Maga. It compliments it well.

As for training without a skilled instructor, I’d be hesitant. It’s the instructor who has the knowledge/experience to best train/equip you. I don’t think there is anything wrong with training outside of class with others, but to get the skills, and understand the concepts, we need guidance.

Required gear for Fight Class here: Head Guard, mouth guard, shin guards, 14 oz. gloves, (hand wraps of course), and groin protection.

thecrownsown

quote Cearball:

Hopefully nothing else but for fencing blades…..I’ve been fencing Sabre for years, and the masks are rated only for particular conditions. Feeling protected in a fencing mask against heavy blades, or blunt objects could be dangerous.

cearball

Think iv seen a vid on this forum of someone getting elbowed in the face while using a fencing mask for protection & it caved in on them.

Only reason i asked bout weapons used is i was gonna suggest one of the padded headguards but with a plastic face cover, cant vouch for these though have no idea how tough they are.

clfmak

quote Cearball:

Mostly sparring with sticks and training knives. I also do some more creative weapons sparring for fun (I tried out a stick and buckler combination yesterday- got a few dents). I also picked up some epees because fencing is good for working a lot of stickfighting dynamics but there’s a lot more people I know willing to fence with me than spar with training knives or sticks (for example I taught my dad and a hippie friend and we fence in our spare time. More of a recreational thing than a martial arts kind of thing, but its a lot of fun and makes you think strategically.

thecrownsown

Fencing is full contact chess! It’s an amazing sport/art form. I recommend though taking classes to learn the proper foot work/stance, etc. The lunge is paramount to get the quickest way for your blade to your opponent.

cearball

I did fencing for about a year & enjoyed it, but in the end gave it up, i do think it is really good though i just struggled to get to classes cos of my shifts & also found the attitudes of alot of people there snobby which didnt help.

Found a historical fencing society not far from me which is originially wot i wanted to do, so might go & try learning some longsword techniques :woohoo:

thecrownsown

quote Cearball:

I did fencing for about a year & enjoyed it, but in the end gave it up, i do think it is really good though i just struggled to get to classes cos of my shifts & also found the attitudes of alot of people there snobby which didnt help.

Found a historical fencing society not far from me which is originially wot i wanted to do, so might go & try learning some longsword techniques :woohoo:

Awesome! I hear ya about the “snobby” aspect sometimes found in fencing. Its not everywhere, but seems to be a part of the culture brought over from European Fencing! The Historical swordplay sounds cool, but take it with a grain of salt. More often then not, they’re more about an artistic “play” with swords and have totally lost and practical use for the blade, sport or otherwise!

clfmak

quote TheCrownsOwn:

Hopefully nothing else but for fencing blades…..I’ve been fencing Sabre for years, and the masks are rated only for particular conditions. Feeling protected in a fencing mask against heavy blades, or blunt objects could be dangerous.

I’m aware that a fencing mask isn’t exactly a helmet. However, I’ve seen some really hard hits taken in Dog Brothers stick fights. Sometimes they are dented in, but I don’t plan on doing full contact training with weapons to the head while wearing a fencing mask. I have my kendo headgear if I want something more sturdy. I’ve seen three weapon rated masks used to good effect in escrima to good effect, once you get a feel for the appropriate level of contact.

quote TheCrownsOwn:

Fencing is full contact chess! It’s an amazing sport/art form. I recommend though taking classes to learn the proper foot work/stance, etc. The lunge is paramount to get the quickest way for your blade to your opponent.

I’ve actually taken fencing classes a while back. When I learned escrima from my uncle he would also teach fencing, because you develop a lot of the same attributes you use in stickfighting with a lower level of danger. If I had the time to take some more formal classes I would definitely look into it.

sdkraver

quote Cearball:

Think iv seen a vid on this forum of someone getting elbowed in the face while using a fencing mask for protection & it caved in on them.

Only reason i asked bout weapons used is i was gonna suggest one of the padded headguards but with a plastic face cover, cant vouch for these though have no idea how tough they are.

Faceguards aren’t allowed in our class for the reason you suggested above, they can break and you take a shard of plastic or whatever into your face.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: