Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics UFC 61 – $40 and 3.5 hours I’ll never get back …

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    j-frank

PrideFC is where it’s at. The rules are better, the fights and the fighters are better, and they don’t have a ref that screams \”LET’S GET IT ON!!!\” 😆

Plus, Pride needs our support more than ever right now…

kirsten

The fighters themselves have said that Pride takes better care of them. Better medical, pay, & ref’s. However, Pride has always had more control of the fighters with regards to press appearances, scripted interviews, etc.

It seems that is what UFC has turned into- as far as attempting to control the fighters more. I don’t bother with much UFC lately, I was very disapointed with the last few shows. 🙁

johnwhitman

I have always quite liked the Pride fights (although I miss Bas’s commentary).

Are they in financial trouble?

xkirian

Pride = Yakuza…. just lost their TV deal over it in Japan….Unfortunate… yet to be determined if they can survive with out the revenue, but, they are working on the 1st US Pride Event in Vegas in October.

Kirian

j-frank

Re:

Pride does not equal Yakuza 😕

I’ve been following the controversy at another forum, here are the highlights:

The Japanese media are reporting that Fuji TV have cancelled their long standing contract with Dream Sage Entertainment.

In a recent press conference a Fuji TV representative stated that Pride committed an ìimproper eventî and after consultation with their legal team they have decided to cancel the contract. No official line has been given on exactly what Pride did wrong but it is believed that it has something to do with the Yakuza Crime Syndicate connection allegation that has currently been rocking Dream Stage Entertainment.

This potentially has far reaching and devastating consequences for the organisation responsible for Pride Fighting Championships, Pride Bushido and the pro wrestling event, Hustle.

It is believed that the deal with Fuji TV nets Pride FC several hundred million Yen per year; money that was used to pay for some of the worldís most popular, successful and expensive fighters.

Worryingly without this kind of financial support, it is forecast that Pride FC may have to downsize dramatically.

But it is also best not get carried away either. It is rumoured that Pride, a massive TV ratings winner, already has another TV deal in the pipeline.

Prideís president, Nobuyuki Sakakibara, will make an official announcement on this subject tomorrow.

Over six hundred people showed up for the biggest Press Conference in Pride FCís history.

Members of the press and public flocked to the Sunflower Hall in Tokyo to hear Dream Stage Entertainmentís official line on the scandal that is currently rocking the company, and to find out if the future of Pride FC is in jeopardy.

Sakakibara says that Yakuza Claims are Groundless
    Dream Stage Entertainmentís President vehemently denied that his company has any ties what so ever with Japanese Yakuza Crime Syndicate, Yamaguchi-Gumi.

Sakakibara reiterated that all the charges levelled at him and the company were groundless, there was no criminal activity, DSE broke no laws and no crimes had been committed.

The Proof
    Sakakibara said that if he or the company were involved in organised crime or affiliated with the Yakuza, there would be no press conference at all and he himself would already be in jail.

DSE Will Sue
    Dream Stage Entertainment will sue the publisher of Shukan Gendai for damages. The Japanese weekly magazine was the first media to report DES’s alleged Yakuza links and spearheaded the current witch-hunt which has lead to Pride, Bushido and Hustle loosing itís lucrative contract with Fuji Television.

No further Questions
    Dream Stage Entertainment did not open the forum for the media and fans present to ask any questions on the Fuji/Yakuza situation.

\”Pride will continue for as long as the fans support it\”

Although no mention was made of any new television deal, it was promised that Pride will continue and no change has been made to the next scheduled Pride event.

SkyPerfecTV has decided to continue airing Dream Stage Entertainment’s Pride events on Japanese pay-per-view, but there is much more to this story, according to MMAWeekly’s sources in Japan.

SkyPerfecTV will continue to air Pride-branded MMA events and Hustle-branded pro wrestling events, but SkyPerfecTV appears to be doing so in a stealthy way. For example, the network just aired a Hustle event last week without any PR or advertisements, whereas it had previously put a lot of money and effort into advertising Hustle’s shows. If SkyPerfecTV does the same thing with Pride events, it could have a negative impact on Pride.

After Fuji TV terminated its relationship with Pride, Fuji put pressure on other companies to do the same, and SkyPerfecTV had to decide whether they would air Pride events in the future.

An example of the pressure coming out of Fuji TV is that all programs on Fuji TV were ordered not to use any Pride or Hustle talent in any way, whi

lazlo

I like the Pride ring, rules, especially the long first round, but there are few things that I don’t get:

-Why do they do soooo many \”resets\” at the edge of ring? There must be another solution. Hmmmm…I can’t think of one…uh…a raised judo mat? The resets slow the action and the flow.

-Why is the ref wearing that head-cam if they don’t show shots from it? It looks \”un-ref\” like.

-Why are the events shown on pay-per-view not live? Yes, I understand that it is Japan, but three week or six month old stuff especially on the FSN Glazer and Trigg Show where they never show the date of the fight gets annoying. Thoughts? My point: You can’t figure out who is the top dog at any given point(or I can’t). Maybe the web site will help.

xkirian

Pride does not equal Yakuza

\”The Proof – Sakakibara said that if he or the company were involved in organised crime or affiliated with the Yakuza, there would be no press conference at all and he himself would already be in jail. \”

So the head of Pride says they are not affiliated with the Yakuza and thats considered proof…..hmmmm, thats not proof where I come from? But maybe thats just me….How many times did Goti say he wasnt in the Mob again??? Come on now ;).

I’m sure Fuji TV dropped a money maker like Pride for no reason?

IF they are affiliated with the Yakuza or not, they lost their contract with Fuji over it, no debating that fact.

Kirian

j-frank

Re:

you’re quite right about the so-called \”proof\”

but to say \”Pride=Yakuza\” ? C’mon now 😉

psyops

Boring!!!!!

The two heavyweight fights were a disaster. I mean Frank Mir and the other guy was an absolute embarrasment. Arlovski and Sylvia were scared of each other. I’m tired of hearing guys run their mouths and then do nothing to back up their chatter. It’s embarrasing.

The Tito/Shamrock fight was stopped at the right time. If you are pissed about the outcome be pissed at Shamrock. He got his ass kicked again.

anonymous

So, will Pride still take place in Japan or might they bring it to the US?

mmottster

I agree, this UFC was very boring and I regret the lost $40.

vicious

if any of these are true… i’ll be happy.

UFC Ultimate Fight Night: August 17th in Las Vegas

-Karo Parisyan vs. Diego Sanchez

(The main card airs live as the lead-in to the season premiere of TUF 4: The Comeback).

UFC 62: August 26th in Las Vegas

-Chuck Liddell vs. Babalu Sobral for the UFC Light Heavyweight Title

-Sean Sherk vs. TBA for the vacant UFC Lightweight Title

-David Loiseau vs. Mike Swick

-David Terrell vs. Yushin Okami

UFC 63: September 23rd in California

-Matt Hughes vs. Georges St. Pierre for the UFC Welterweight Title

UFC 64: October 14th in Las Vegas

-Rich Franklin vs. Anderson Silva for the UFC Middleweight Title

-Tim Sylvia vs. Jeff Monson for the UFC Heavyweight Title

UFC 65: November 18th in Las Vegas

-Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva (provided that Liddell defeats Babalu in August and is not injured in doing so; and that Silva is not injured in the sem-finals or finals of the Pride Open Weight Grand Prix in September).

-Kazuyuki Fujita vs. TBA

-Phil Baroni vs. TBA

Note: The currently scheduled date for this event is November 18th, but that date is subject to change because there is also an HBO Boxing PPV that is currently scheduled for November 18th.

UFC Super Bowl Weekend: February 3, 2007

-possibly Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz

kravjeff

Look like great cards – Just not sure I’ll be spending my money again after the disappointing fights last time. 🙁

j-frank

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

So, will Pride still take place in Japan or might they bring it to the US?

Pride has an event scheduled in Las Vegas for October –

anonymous

Cool. Will it be live on PPV, similar to the UFC fights, with US commentators?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: