Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    rick-prado

I recently received an email from another forum.

It said that John Whitman was no longer affiliated with KMAA.

Anyone else hear that?

Just curious.

Thanks

ryan

Plantman, would you send me an e-mail? [email protected]

Thanks!

giant-killer

WHAT??????? 😯 😯 😯 😯 Please tell me that ain’t so…

wyatt9696

my thinking is that someone in the know, should either confirm or deny this rumor, before it snowballs out of control. just my 2 cents.

giant-killer

Yeah, like John posting he’s still with us…. Or not. 😕 ❓

leejam99

why not call the NTC and ask?!?

krav8541

I did call and ask this afternoon. What I was told was that he no longer is with the company but still will be answering his voicemail, will be around for training, and will come back to teach most likely in the near future. I asked if he, John Whitman, was okay, to which the heavily accented gentleman replied \”yes, he’s okay\”. I then left a voice mail. Sure would like to hear it from the horses mouth, (not implying that John Whitman looks like a horse. We all know that he’s one fine piece of man candy 😛 ) Hope all goes well for him in all his endeavors in life and career.

markx3

Guys,

Is it just me or did Darren not say enough good words about John Whitman? Words like how John is one of the best KM instructors in the country and possibly the world. Everyone I know who has ever trained with him look up to him. Words like how John has been all over the internet, T.V., magazines, etc, FOR YEARS defending Darrenís legitimacy to teach KM in the U.S. Words like how John fought for KM in the ring and got his arm broken but kept fighting because he represented the never quit attitude of KM. He ended up winning that fight! Words about how John has traveled all over the world teaching KM, and defending Darren in Israel to other KM organizations.

Itís very difficult for me to think of Krav Maga without John since John IS Krav Maga. Those are my thoughts on the matter.

Mark Z

rick-prado

Things are never what they appear to be.

KMAA has been a hugely successful($$$$) organization for several years now.

A lot of that has been credited to Mr Whitman on this forum.

For anyone to say that you want someone with more business experience is a bunch of bullshit.

This recent upheaval at KMAA, more than likely has to do with the fact that KMAA has lost their claim to own the name \”Krav Maga\”.

Several franchises owners are splitting with KMAA and are either joining other organizations, or are just teaching Krav without ties to the parent group.

ryan

Without getting into politics, the fact is, this was a business decision (despite Plantman’s speculation, which seemed a bit contradictory.) For quite some time, the line between training and business has been quite blurred. Mallen was brought in because of his extensive business experience, and the restructuring is designed to separate training from business, so both get the proper attention.

That said, you cannot place a value on John Whitman’s role in the growth of Krav Maga, as a system and organization, as well as his role as an instructor to countless numbers of students and instructors. It is a difficult thing to relay via a medium such as this, but John’s leadership over the years has been a tremendous asset, as well as an inspiration to many. He was my first KM instructor, and he is still my dear friend. While I hope he will continue with KMW, John is a very intelligent and gifted guy, so I know he’ll be successful no matter what path he chooses.

Now, there will undoubtedly be more speculation, conspiracy theorists, et al. It will only serve to create or widen divides. It will not serve John or the greater good of the system we all love. I implore everyone to remain cordial and respectful.

All the best,
    Ryan

stevetuna

Well said, Ryan. Thank you.

The other organizations are wasting their e-mails that they send to me. Nantucket is staying with Krav Maga Worldwide. End of story.

la-revancha

A bit sudden and unexpected, yes, but no \”upheaval\” 🙄 🙄 .

That being said, I would lack the same zeal and fortitude in teaching Krav and making people safer if it wasn’t for John. He’s a brother, father, and friend to me.

You clearly intended to push the same ol’ agenda in posting this thread.

You’re better than this, plantman. Please stop the trolling.

rick-prado

I am pushing no agenda, merely giving my opinion on the matter.

Regarding my earlier post, I was stating factual information regarding ownership of the name Krav Maga.

It is also fact that KMAA has lost several franchisees for various reasons.

Philosophical, Financial, doesn’t matter.

I’m sure they gain some as well.

Not owning the name Krav Maga will be a serious cause for concern now, as any franchisee can simply not renew their agreement and continue to teach Krav Maga since no one can claim ownership of the name.

giant-killer

I’m actually kind of glad Plantman brought it up, because if he hadn’t there may not even have been a statement about this.

I’d say this can definitely be categorized as an\”upheaval\”, as John was the face of the company ever since the beginning. This is a little bit like kicking Bill Gates out of Microsoft.

I’d agree 100% with Mark, not nearly enough praise for John in the statement. Bruce Mallen and Jon Pascal each get their own paragraph (well deserved, I’m sure), but John’s work for the company is summarized only as \”many contributions\”. And no one so far has mentioned his work for the forum, which he founded and has moderated for seven years and from which he seems to now have disappeared as well.

I really hope he is doing well and wish him all the best for the future.

emil

I must admit I am very disappointed and saddened by John’s departure. I am sure there were reasons behind this decision, however on a personal level this is quite upsetting. May be because I am not a school owner, it’s easier for me to focus on the non-business side of this. However, I believe that for the near future, this system will not be the same. John’s integrity, intelligence and passion for Krav are some of the reasons I’ve continued to enjoy teaching. Granted he has strong opinions, but I found that he always listened to reason and a different point of view. Finally, I always thought if someone who looks like an ordinary citizen( without neck tats and a giant biceps) can be such an excellent martial artist there’s hope for me yet:). John I wish you the best of luck, and I hope our paths cross again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: