Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    giant-killer

One great thing about John’s leadership was that he was very accessible, always around the gym, teaching, chatting or even taking classes. And he would answer pretty much any question on the forum as well. I really hope things won’t become too corporate or impersonal now.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I think everyone is a little shocked and surprised over the course of events. I agree with many of the sentiments that have been shared in fact Iíll add one of my own. Iíve been an instructor/coach most of my adult life but it wasnít until going through phase and listening to Johns lecture on how to transfer knowledge that I truly understood what that meant or how in fact to actually do that. I personally owe him a debt of gratitude for driving that issue home with me.

I donít think anyone is saying anything negative about him as a person or a teacher and mentor. I certainly liked all of those things about him. Iíve told many many people in the system how amazing he is as an instructor.

Having shared all that all we can really do is speculate how he was as a businessman. The two issues are separate.

Emotionally are we upset? You bet! But logically we really donít know what went on.

I for one hope he stays to do what I can honestly say is one of his best assets

ìtransferring the knowledgeî

giant-killer

You are right, we can’t know the details, but I wonder if they couldn’t have hired Bruce Mallen as a special business consultant and still keep John as a leader and as the \”face\” of KM?

I’m a little worried that going too corporate may not necessarily be in the best interest of Krav Maga. A multi-million dollar office complex is impressive, but it’s also a cold place, made with steel and bricks and without a soul. I’ve always found that Krav Maga is more than just a building or a business, it’s a living, breathing thing, a family, an ideology. John incorporated that and as I have said has always been very accessible, which I believe is an important quality for the leader of such a company.

If there should be some problems with certain schools switching allegiances or going their own way, it may be just for that reason, that they are looking at teaching KM as more of a business deal. In that case, a better deal may come along and they take it. The most loyal and successful schools are probably the ones that really care about the system itself and care about the personal relationships they have with its leaders. A leader who is accessible, a fellow teacher and practitioner who is out there training with them, can make a big difference and can strengthen their ties to the company.

And as for the assumption that John may not be a good businessman, one would have to acknowledge that he lead the company from being a newly founded corporation with one location to the big enterprise it is now, with over 200 locations worldwide. No small accomplishment.

g-v

Re:

quote \”Giant Killer\:

If there should be some problems with certain schools switching allegiances or going their own way, it may be just for that reason, that they are looking at teaching KM as more of a business deal.

Or less of one, right? Right? Come on GK, spit it out. 😆

Anyways, I never met John, but his name is synonymous with kmaa, so here’s hoping he’s still around in some capacity.

mblitz

For many of us, John Whitman is a teacher, mentor, and friend. I know I have no intention of allowing his departure from KMAA/KMWW to change that. I can’t claim to understand the move by KMAA/KMWW to make this change to the top end of the organization. Sometimes these things are the result of higher wisdom; sometimes these things are mistakes. Time will tell. But for the \”record,\” as a 22 year veteran professor, a 12 year \”veteran\” of KM, and the head of a KM school in NY, I can say that John is the most gifted instructor I have ever met. His contributions to KM and to the national organization are inestimable.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: