Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Violent assault caught on tape

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    ktulu
    jaeroo

If I was in that situation and I decide to intervene, I wouldn’t waste my time tangling using H2H ( in case I do, I’d take shortcuts, such as going for his eyes, throat, nose, groin, knees/using improvised weapons/going to the ground is not smart) with that idiot. Since he has a size advantage (over 300 lbs.), I’d use pepper spray (i’d spray that woman as well) and verbal commands (will use that also when employing a firearm). That doesn’t work, I’ll have to employ deadly force (victim definitely was in danger of being seriously hurt/had a fractured orbital as a result) with my .40 or .45. I never go to any fast food joint without a firearm nowadays. I’d heard the dirtbag served only 4 yrs. and I heard the victim is gonna sue him for damages. I doubt if that’s gonna work if the dirtbag has no income after time served in prison. Seeing those people doing nothing to stop this assault as well as the victim just submitting like sheep just sickens the hell out of me!

kraven

That clip just reinforces a few concepts that I remember from my first few KM classes at KMDC:
    Environmental Awareness – If someone is violently berating you, and her angry, 300-lb house-of-a-boyfriend then gets in your face, hang up the damn phone PDQ and focus on the situation at hand. All signs point to you shortly getting jacked up.
    If You’re Being Attacked, There Are No Cheap Shots – As Jaeroo said, eyes, throat, groin, knees; and put your cellphone and keys to good use, too.
    Simultaneous Defense and Attack, Attack, Attack – Granted, it depends on being aware of the situation and recognizing an attack, but that first punch couldn’t have been telegraphed more.

ryan

You’re going to spray in a small, crowded restaurant, and maybe even use a firearm on a guy who’s struggling with another guy? 😕

runnergirl

Um, yeah, I would also pull a concealed weapon in that situation. At least by my state law, it’s well within self defense/defense of others to shoot in that situation. My only concern would be that 9mm wouldn’t be enough stopping power with all that blubber.

The victim was on the ground within seconds, the only possible issue with using a firearm was the guy behind them in the corner at one point.

caliwt

That guy brought that on himself, with his comment, but so what, he didn’t deserve to get beat.

Just goes to show what can happen out there.

and as said above, put the phone away Stupid!! Maybe he was trying to call 911?

and if I was in there I am not sure if I would have helped either, that guy was big! I would have followed him around untell the police came, or if he started smashing the guy after he was down I would have jumped in. Maybe kicked out his legs from behind and gone for a choke? but what about the girlfriend? she could be getting a gun from the car or something.

Tuff to say not being there…..

I did like noticing that he misses with a few of the hooks because they are to tight. Straight is better….

clfmak

I can’t seem to view it- most likely because I have a Mac with a 56K modem. But I saw an assault on TV in some fast food place, where a woman gets all angry at some guy because he cuts in line, and then her boyfriend (some husky black guy) turns around and clocks the guy in the jaw. The punched guy stubles out, and the boyfriend continues after him. Sounds like it might be the same thing.

Most people don’t miss with hooks because they’re too tight- usually they are thrown too wide, and easilly dodged, or they end up behind the head, leading to grappling. But this is proabaly just because untrained people out to take a head off naturally throw big hooks with accuracy as an afterthought. At any rate, straight is not necessarily better. Straight is different.

caliwt

Its the same clip. but the girl cut in line and the guy says something.

The hook is one of those really thight ones at a the guys head from behind as he is falling. It look like the classic case of someone who does to many bicep curls at the weight room and then under stress when they punch, the bicep pulls the punch in to tight.

But the first punch, BAM!!! that looked like it hurt 🙁

ryan

I’m not making any reference to the legalities, only to the close quarters, multiple parties (third), and the moving and engaged combatants.

kurtuan

I think the victim’s first mistake as pointed out earlier was his initial comment. If anyone saw the entire incident on the news, the victim was engaged in a little \”chest bumping\” and shouting with the boyfriend (and the woman) before the initial blow. Other than the comment, his biggest mistake was not trying to put some distance between himself and the assailant (guess he didn’t want to lose his place in line), you’ll notice the boyfriend didn’t throw a punch until the victim looked down to turn off his phone. Why would someone take their eyes off of a 300+lb. guy who is an obvious and immediate threat?!?!

I would agree with Jaeroo’s use of pepper spray or deadly force as long as his \”verbal warnings\” resulted in some seperation between the assailant and the rest of the bystanders, but I’m not a LE officer, so I don’t know what the \”official\” procedure would be….

binagaki

I would be very apprehensive to use a gun in a situation like that. There are a lot of other people around, and there is no way you can guarantee their safety when you start firing.

The best bet if you were to intervene would be to go hands on and/or use another weapon more suited to close situations (like a knife). You just have the remember that if you hit the big guy I can guarantee that you would have to deal with the woman too.

bradm

I could not open the link that stated this thread. But, I believe I saw the same attack on Fox5 news last night. They were in line at a pizza place and the woman cut in line and the ruckus started. I would blame the woman for starting the whole thing. She even spit at the employee behind the counter.

I think the victom could have handled it a little better (obviously he had no sef defense training). But, he did not deserve to get pounded on like that.

The news said the big guy attacker got 4 years in prison. GOOD! Personally I think he should have got 8 years in prison and the woman 4 years for starting the whole thing. And all those people who just stood around and watched – what a bunce of Bull. I hope they get theirs someday.

jaeroo

Binagaki, I have a knife too but it’s the last thing I’ll use if that’s the only thing I have other than pepper spray. Besides, in my locality, I have witnessed more people go to jail for using a knife (even in self-defense) than a gun on an assailant. Even then local knife laws vary and are very vague. Since the guy is large, it might even take more stabs to neutralize him than it would for capping about 2 or more rds. of .40/.45. And statistics also show that criminals are less likely to tangle with a citizen armed with a gun instead of one with a knife, which most already have encountered as well as learned to use while incarcerated. Since my pepperspray is stream instead of fog, it’s not really much of an issue when in a crowd unless some innocent person stands in the way to help and gets sprayed by accident. Big thing is to keep your distance and watch his hands. Also when taking charge of that situation, I’d instruct everyone to keep clear and have someone call 911 and, just in case, an ambulance. Escape would have been a good thing if I’m close to the exit. But this is for if you are in line and the route to the escape is obstructed by the crowd and the dirtbag beating someone to a pulp.

ryan

It would be irresponsible to try and fire in this circumstance, endangering the lives of the other patrons, as well as the victim. It was very close quarters, they were hardly static, and there were people everywhere. As far as the pepper spray, you would probably just be inviting your own beating. If you missed or it did not have the desired effect (which is very likely), then what? Oh, and don’t think for a minute that the woman who started it all wouldn’t have gotten involved (maybe engaged a weapon of her own–then what, a shootout in a cramped and crowded pizza joint, because of some ego-driven BS that ended with just a beating?)

On another note, it’s easy to armchair quarterback, and say I would have done this or that. Everyone seems to assume that the bystanders new what was happening and why. If you’re the guy at the front of the line, and you turn to see this, how do you know which one to shoot? The big guy giving the beating? What if he was defending himself, and you missed what happened? What if there was history among these three that you would have no prior knowledge of?

jaeroo

There are no real answers. But what would you have done? If I wanted to leave, I’d go out the back door and call police if I don’t wanna get involved.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: