Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    boucheed

I have been with Krav Maga for 3 weeks now. One thing I have noticed besides trying to preform the techniques too quickly is that my left is really weak. Both my straight and hooks have nothing. I asked my instructors and they said to shadow box and use my hips more. I understand what they are saying but it is not clicking in my head. Has anyone encountered this problem and found a solution?

Thanks
    Dan

prekarious1

Re: Weak Left

Get a punching bag.
    Slow movements concentrating on technique and control. Build speed slowly and before you know it you’ll be just fine

crazy-train

that works. also ask your partner (when training with one) to really hound you about hip movement and pivoting your foot, usually after a couple of times of being hounded it gets through.

raneman

I had this same problem. Shadow boxing in front of a mirro helped alot. I also practiced in my weak side stance ALOT. This helped me with hip and foot movement quite a bit

thejew

Listen to what they said Dan, you’ve got to practice practice practice! A boxer just doesn’t step in the ring with a devastating left hook, he throws thousands and thousands of punches the get the technique down.

Just keep working on it (and not just that 15min you’re hitting the pad in a class) and it will come in due time. Do what they said, go slow, focus, rotate.

And like they suggested, get a bag. I have a combo station that has the heavybag, speed bag and double ended agility bag, and also a bob. If you can’t get a bag, shadow box … alot.

You will not get better if you don’t practice, period.

Practicing is what will get you through it for sure.

I’ll make a ploy here for the Bas Rutten Workout CD’s & DVD as good workout material for both shadow boxing and heavy bag as well. Both have excellent routines such as boxing, Thai boxing, overall fighting, & overall workout.

thejew

quote HazardousSmoker:

Practicing is what will get you through it for sure.

I’ll make a ploy here for the Bas Rutten Workout CD’s & DVD as good workout material for both shadow boxing and heavy bag as well. Both have excellent routines such as boxing, Thai boxing, overall fighting, & overall workout.

I can’t wait for Bas’ new CD/DVD to come out!

Looking forward to seeing what he has in store for us as well.

giant-killer

Yes, practice, practice, also slowly, just to get the movement down. Just remember what the teacher said about moving your hips and getting the weight into the punch, then do it slowly, just getting a feel for it. Once you start to understand the movement better, speed it up.

For the hook, you can also try to roll your shoulder forward a bit before throwing it. It’s a bit more visible, but can add power (same on the right).

leejam99

make sure your shoulders are square to your opponent so that you have equal distance in which your weapon(punches) travels to the target. In Krav, we typically do not call our left punch a Jab because of this reason. We want both our hands to be knockout punches. If you were to stand like a boxer which is to have your left side forward for jabs, your automatically making that side weaker. More distance your weapon travel/turns/pivots, more velocity it picks up, more power it can generates.

James

boucheed

Thanks everyone, now any recommendations on a heavy bag?

Dan

giant-killer

Good old BOB. Go break his nose with your newly improved jab! thumbsup

thejew

quote boucheed:

Thanks everyone, now any recommendations on a heavy bag?

Dan

Best for heavy bag is a bag stand and a heavy bag, and a close next is a wavemaster xxl or bob xxl.

Pretty soon you’ll have your training partners hurting. Nobody at my gym wants to hold the tombstone for me. hahaha. That comes with thousands of hours of hitting the bag though, so keep at it boss!

boucheed

When you all throw a straight left/right are you feet in motion or mostly stationary. I have noticed while training at the gym I get off balance and others I train with are moving in on the focus mits.

Another problem I keep encountering is bringing my left back when throwing a right. I tend to let it drop. Will working slowly on a bag or in the mirror and concentrating on this help?

Dan

leejam99

your motion should always be dynamic while you are in a fight meaning you/feet/body should be in constant motion. I HATE it when i tell my students to get into fighting stance…and they stand there like a tree with their hands up……Only time your feet should be static is at the moment of impact. your feet can still pivot depending on what you are doing but your feet should be firmly planted on the ground so that you have a good base and so that you can drive/push off for power. make sure your feet/stance are at least shoulder width apart for maximum base/balance.

as for your hands…. i would do 2 things.

1 – shadowbox in the mirror and watch your form
    2 – hit the bag concentrating keeping your hands up as you stated. always thinking about bringing your hands back to your cheek.

hope that helps,

James

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: