Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    boucheed

Re: Weak Left

Thanks James.

My

boucheed

Thanks James,

My biggest problem is that I expect myself to know how to do things after I am shown. I realize I need more patients and I will practice to get better.

stevetuna

Plenty of good advice provided here already, but I’ll add these two thoughts: 1.) the left hook is never about the arm. Instead, it’s all about the turn of the body. Pivot on that left foot like you’re trying to spin. Remember that the hook is a short, vicious arc. Transfer your weight fully!

2.) As for the straight left (when the left is your lead hand), transfer your weight into the strike to the point that your right heel is turned to your left as you extend the punch. The extension should be similar to reaching like you’re trying to grab something from the back of the refrigerator (an analogy that I’ve stolen from one of my fellow instructors…).

As Bas would say: THROW EVERY PUNCH WITH KNOCKOUT POWER!!!

Good luck!

jay99

You can also worrk on just the rotation and pivot by crossing your arms tight against your chest like an “x” with your hands up by your shoulders. Stand in your fighting stance and go back and forth as though you are throwing your left and right punches but don’t let go of your shirt. Start of slowly than pick up the pace.

It may give you a chance to get a solid look at your body movement with out distracting your self with the actuall punch. Do it faster and hard and it is a good little trick to help with strengthening the muscles as well.

boucheed

Thanks Jay99

I will try that once my ribs heal up from fight class. Caught a shoulder straight into the ribs on a takedown and bruised them pretty bad. Hopefully I will be back up soon.

Dan

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: