Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge weight training and krav maga

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    mara-jade

Re: weight training and krav maga

quote gwalsh:

Kettlebells,kettlebells,kettlebells!
    mara_jade?

Sorry, missed the post here..Oh kettlebells are great. Up until about I guess a year or so, you could only buy them online. Heck, military BXs carry them and even target does. You don’t need tons of room either.

I’ve heard very good things here about the Art of Strength DVDs – haven’t gotten them myself yet but I know Stevetuna loves them

http://www.artofstrength.com/

Here’s another site to read up on even a downloadable mp3 workout
    http://www.liftkettlebells.com/Workouts/Easy-Kettlebell-Workout.aspx.

Actually, I did pick up this DVD – no music but very thorough in the exercises, gives alternate moves and you can mix your own workouts. It’s not just for gals either:D:

http://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Goddess-Workout-Effective-Flexibility/dp/B001CBFH0E/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1237421033&sr=8-1

Originally bought this to help me in class – pretty good book
    http://www.amazon.com/Shape-Complete-Kettlebell-Exercises-Training/dp/B000EDGOEE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237421307&sr=8-1

garddawg

Thought this was cool:
    http://games2009.crossfit.com/regionals/conner-martin.html

dckm

quote garddawg:

How heavy are you lifting? What is your max bench, deadlift, power clean and squat (legit with hips below parallel). How much do you weigh? What kind of shape are you in?

since i try to do krav maga 3 days per week, i haven’t really been lifting. my max bench – last time i tried was around 170 lbs. i weigh 160 and since i’ve stopped smoking i feel like i’m in better shape. i haven’t done a squat in years so wouldn’t be able to give you a max.

hemibuck

quote dckm:

since i try to do krav maga 3 days per week, i haven’t really been lifting. my max bench – last time i tried was around 170 lbs. i weigh 160 and since i’ve stopped smoking i feel like i’m in better shape. i haven’t done a squat in years so wouldn’t be able to give you a max.

IMO I would stick with Krav and try some Crossfit exercises maybe at your home. You will be surprised how much stronger you are going to get with just Krav. Once you have got your body in shape and your techniques down, then look to a “strength” adder. Also it never hurts to add a little protein and maybe some creatine to your diet. Just my 2 cents.

dckm

quote Hemibuck:

IMO I would stick with Krav and try some Crossfit exercises maybe at your home. You will be surprised how much stronger you are going to get with just Krav. Once you have got your body in shape and your techniques down, then look to a “strength” adder. Also it never hurts to add a little protein and maybe some creatine to your diet. Just my 2 cents.

thanks for your suggestions. i’ll look into crossfit.
    that creatine and protein sounds like a good idea.

hemibuck

quote dckm:

thanks for your suggestions. i’ll look into crossfit.
    that creatine and protein sounds like a good idea.

Your welcome. At my age I need every edge I can get to recover from some of these workouts…lol! I have been a big advocate of supplementing with protein and creatine, it does make a difference. Also with that you don’t need to break the bank by getting the most expensive brands….shop around.

Oh if you go to the CrossFit main site they always have a WOD or “workout of the day” posted. Get a couple of kettle bells and you will be on your way!

dckm

quote Hemibuck:

Your welcome. At my age I need every edge I can get to recover from some of these workouts…lol! I have been a big advocate of supplementing with protein and creatine, it does make a difference. Also with that you don’t need to break the bank by getting the most expensive brands….shop around.

Oh if you go to the CrossFit main site they always have a WOD or “workout of the day” posted. Get a couple of kettle bells and you will be on your way!

i’ve been keeping an eye on the workout of the day. i also like watching the videos that show the proper way to do the exercises. one of my favorite exercises are different variations on the pullup, which are difficult to do at home.
    i’ll figure out a way to work around that. i want to train for strength but as i’m seeing more and more explosiveness and functional strength is more valuable.

hemibuck

quote dckm:

i’ve been keeping an eye on the workout of the day. i also like watching the videos that show the proper way to do the exercises. one of my favorite exercises are different variations on the pullup, which are difficult to do at home.
    i’ll figure out a way to work around that. i want to train for strength but as i’m seeing more and more explosiveness and functional strength is more valuable.

Thats the key “functional” strength. You can be as strong as an ox but can’t run for 30 seconds all out and then do 20 pullups, followed by 20 burpees ect. Core strength is essential to all the others. And with that I am on my way out the door to a Crossfit workout….Mondays are usually pretty brutal too….lol!

dckm

thanx. i finally took the plunge and went and worked out at the local YMCA. i’m focusing on complex exercises like overhead presses, bench presses and squats. i’m also mixing in some cardio as well as doing pullups.
    they’ve also got this machine called the hip adbuction/adduction.
    interesting looking machine. since my punching power comes from my hips and legs i definitely want to look into adding this exercise to my repertoire.

paul

if you are going to start lifting, get with a trainer to teach you proper technique so you dont injure yourself. you can get away with improper technique while you are young but it does catch up with you. i have several friends now in their 40s having their shoulders operated on. i will probably be next lol… ouch

dckm

quote paul:

if you are going to start lifting, get with a trainer to teach you proper technique so you dont injure yourself. you can get away with improper technique while you are young but it does catch up with you. i have several friends now in their 40s having their shoulders operated on. i will probably be next lol… ouch

thanks. i’ll keep that in mind.

bradm

Good advice. However, even with proper technique you need to be careful and not overdo it, especially by lifting too much. I’m 67 and live in a “55 and over” active adult community. I’m at the fitness center everyday and have met some who lifted competitively in their younger years. They all seem to have some joint problems – knees, shoulders, elbows, and back pain.

prism

quote dckm:

they’ve also got this machine called the hip adbuction/adduction. interesting looking machine. since my punching power comes from my hips and legs i definitely want to look into adding this exercise to my repertoire.

Don’t waste your time with the adduction/abduction machines. The gains from using those things is going to be minimal at best. Stick with the main compound lifts like back/front squats and deadlifts to gain strength there.

night-robin

quote mara_jade:

Here’s another site to read up on even a downloadable mp3 workout
    http://www.liftkettlebells.com/Workouts/Easy-Kettlebell-Workout.aspx.

From your experience with Kettlebells, is this a full body workout or what? I bought a Kettlebell and this workout seems credible enough but I was wondering if its good on its own or if other exercises should be added.

ncsam160

quote Night Robin:

From your experience with Kettlebells, is this a full body workout or what? I bought a Kettlebell and this workout seems credible enough but I was wondering if its good on its own or if other exercises should be added.

The only thing I think you would need to add is some push ups. Other than that I’d say that’s a pretty comprehensive workout.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: