Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics What do you do after the fight?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    karlhungus

I have been pondering this. Say, for example that you are in a public place…. Lets say a gas station filling up your car. When out of no where someone assaults you (be it a mugging or just a plain assault). So you defend yourself and beat the tar out of the attacker leaving him in a pile on the ground. What do you do after that?

Do you drop all of your plans and call the cops, all the while hoping he doesn’t wake up? Do you just drive away? If you do drive away, aren’t you leaving yourself open to being sued or accused of being the attacker? On the flip side of that, if you don’t run away aren’t you leaving yourself open to being sued for assault?

Just curious what the correct response would be, also curious what you all would choose do do?

g-v

Re: What do you do after the fight?

I would probably take off rather than stick around and wait for the cops, personally.

jaeroo

I’d call the cops immediately and report the incident just to be safe. Regardless, I’ll still get sued but I can also file a countersuit (get a reputable lawyer). Usually the one who makes the call first is considered the victim. Because of this, I’d always bring a cellphone with me when out of the house. I am under no obligation to apprehend him so it is better to report the incident after I drive to a safer location. But also remember the description of the attacker. It also pays to have a notepad with you. If you can safely remain in the same location that you were attacked, try to get as much witnesses as possible.

anonymous

Wow, good question. If I left, I would probabaly write down what happened, I always have a pen and pad in my car. Would like to hear from the experts or perhaps some LE’s.

ffdo

Put yourself in a safe place first, eg, in the gas station, in your car, a block away etc etc. Call 911, not only talk to the cops but get medical attention for the attacker turned ‘victem’. If you do this you are showing that you are concerned for his life and that you were the victem originally. Also, the guy probably needs the medical help at this point. From an LE view, once you have elliminated the threat, it is your obligation to take charge of the guy that was just the attacker, and provide for his welfare, especially if he is hurt.

If you just leave, the cops will only get his side of the story, and it will be GREATLY different from yours.

JC

g-v

Re:

I should clarify, it depends on the situation. If it’s some bar fight and I only kick some dude’s ass…no, I ain’t sticking around. Nobody’s gonna issue an APB for a simple fight, and I ain’t spending hours in the copshop for it if I could help it.

On the other hand, if I’m attacked in a mugging and/or seriously hurt the guy in the process, then yeh, I’d call the cops, ems for the ‘victim’, etc.

dkst

We do drills based on always knowing where the exit is. In fact, the exit is the first place I’m looking for, even before the fight begins.

I think G.V. is right, bar fight or stupid I’m going to kick your ass fight, leave asap.

I would even think twice about staying in a mugging or something like that, what is the point. If you hang around, he will sue your ass for beating him up, the legal system is all messed up. Here in Chicago someone caught a guy trying to steal his car, he ran down stairs and kicked his ass, well, he got sued.

Like people have said, \”you feared for your life\”, you weren’t going to stick around.

saxman314

Leave their ass in the gutter. They don’t know you, and they shouldn’t have messed with you.

ffdo

Leave their ass in the gutter at a gas station you better make sure you elliminate ALL of the witnesses that get your plate. Better make sure you put neosporin on your knuckles so when the cops show up and you say you were in Sunday school the cops will believe you……

True story, KM guy trained in Israel and lives in the US. Gets in a fight at a gas station. Attacker goes to get a crow bar out of his trunk, turns and is knocked out. KM guy gets in his car and leaves. Crow bar guy calls cops, KM guy is tracked via plates, goes to jail for assault…..

Just remember, he who calls cops first is usually considered the victem. Two, if you leave a guy to die, and he does, you can be charged with myriad offenses even if you were originally defending yourself. I have no sympothy for some idiot mugger, but is it worth going to jail for when you are no longer in danger?

JC

g-v

Re:

quote \”FFDO\:

Two, if you leave a guy to die, and he does, you can be charged with myriad offenses even if you were originally defending yourself.

Yup, that’s the main argument for calling the cops and ems if you really tore someone up, regardless who started the altercation. But yeh, I wouldn’t make the call at the same location, necessarily. I’m not about to get my ass busted up by the dude’s friends while waiting for the cops.

saxman314

Eh… You’re probably right. I just really hate to think about having to spend my time worrying over some jerk who picked the wrong guy to mess with. If I can walk away from it when it’s over without repercussions, I will.

ffdo

I can certainly understand that sax, just make sure you take care of yourself and possible problems.

JC

anonymous

If this happens at a gas station, there will probably be surveillance tape, which could be used as evidence and possibly also to track you if you just leave and don’t call the cops.

I think I would leave, just in case the guy wakes back up, but I’d call the police once I’m safe. Or if it happens near a business I might go in there and ask for help.

Another thing I’m wondering about is what do I do if I’m threatened with a gun, do a Krav Maga gun takeaway and now I have the weapon, pointing it at the attacker. Shall I order him to leave the scene? Or keep pointing the gun at him, hoping someone will call the cops? Or call for help? Or turn and leave with the gun, watching my back to make sure he doesn’t jump me from behind? Obviously, I can’t shoot him, and if someone happens to look out the window and all he sees is me holding the gun, they will think I’m the attacker. What if I walk away with the gun, the attacker disappears, but suddenly a police car drives by? Should I stop them and tell them what happened? But if there are no witnesses, all they see now is me holding the gun. And maybe that gun can be traced to another crime and get me into trouble. But if I throw it away some kid might find it and accidently shoot someone. So, what do I do with the gun after the KM gun takeaway? I’m assuming now that I’m on foot, with light clothing, so few places to conceal the weapon once I have taken it.

dkst

If someone pulls a gun and you do the gun take away, you point it at him/her and shot to kill. That is why they pull the gun out in the first place, to kill you, why would you not kill them. Here is the question you should be asking: If I don’t kill this person, will they get another chance to kill, will it be my wife or my girlfriend, a kid, some ones parents?

I have no idea what I would do and I hope I never have to take a life.

anonymous

Legally, I don’t think I can just shoot someone if he poses no longer a threat. If he charges me, yes, but if he just stands there, or turns to run away, I can’t just execute him, that’ll certainly land me in prison.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: