Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge What does this Hebrew phrase mean?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    giant-killer

Hey Hebrew speakers (I suppose that’s Hebrew).

A bit of Krav bashing seems to be going on at the F.I.G.H.T. forum, they are trying to discredit the third party defense shown in last months BB magazine featuring Brent, John and Matt. They keep talking about picture 3 of the last defense and draw all kinds of strange conclusions apparently. Tried my best to explain it.

Anywho, Mike Lee Kanarek, the senior teacher and founder of their system used this phrase: \”Aleenou Yaroo… Alehem Lo Yaroo, that is the difference! \” in describing how our KM and I suppose what he would consider the \”real\” thing differ. Asked me to find someone to translate, so I’m asking. I also told them they could come here anytime to discuss any concerns about technique, but so far no one seems to have taken the offer.

Anyway, just looking for a translation of the phrase. Thanks.

evo8

looks like he translated it for you in his last post. Wow, seems like a pretty heated debate over there in F.I.G.H.T. land. I have not yet seen the BB article so i can’t make a comment about it. But it seems obvious to me that you are not going to convince anybody over on that forum that they are looking at the picture incorrectly.

kravdaj

Wow, what a thread. I will never understand the mentality of my way is the best yours is the worst. It seems to be a standard argument for many things in life.

Judo is the best…..TKD sucks
    Christianity is the best……Judaism sucks
    Coke is the best…..Pepsi sucks

For me it has always been what works for me…..works for me, it might not work for you, so don’t do it. Do what works for you. I respect you for your choice, respect me for mine.

The only thing I get from the FIGHT guy is his insecurity with his system. It is easy to build up something you believe in without tearing down everything else, if what you believe in has any merit.

Just my two cents.

giant-killer

Haven’t gone back there yet, but will shortly. Just wanted to set the record straight about our article without being disrespectful to anyone, but I suppose they just don’t like the \”LA guys\” and are trying to use one picture in one article to discredit them. I was looking for an honest debate, but it may not be possible. We’ll see.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

The part about being a sell out is pretty funny. Maybe you should ask him why he has TKD schools in LA, Semi, Valencia that have FIGHT/Haganah programs.

Never mind theres no point.

giant-killer

I just read that latest post. Yeah, it’s disappointing, but probably not surprising. I tried to be very civil in my answer and not engage in more mudslinging, because you’re right, what’s the point? As for the technique he was assailing, looks like he had few answers for that and to distract he launches into a tirade about Darren’s presumed weight. How highly original! It’s what any LA hater falls back on when they have nothing else to say. I’m still waiting for a good explanation about the technique itself, but I’ll probably be waiting in vain.

vwr32

Aleenou Yaroo… Alehem Lo Yaroo

The only word that shows up in a hebrew-english dictionary is \”lo\”. According to that source it could mean any number of different things, from \”hello\” in internet chats to \”LO, local oscillator in a superheterodyne receiver.\” Again, nothing really jumped out in hebrew. Also ran the phrase thru a yiddish dictionary, and no results on anything either.

Urban dictionary defines \”yaroo\” as bastard tho.

I tried. 😀

EDIT: Just to be sure, I also ran it thru a English to Klingon translator… maybe he mistyped it? In klingon it would read:
    \”Aleeghobe’u Yaroo… Alehem Lo Yaroo\”

Unfortunately, it doesn’t reverse translate from klingon to english in that form. The interesting thing is that when I ran it thru a pirate translator, it came back identical to the klingon translation. We might be unlocking the secrets of the universe here with the discovery of a pirate/hebrew/klingon ancestry connection.

unstpabl1

Re:

[quote:869d97cd78=\”vwr32\”]

Unfortunately, it doesn’t reverse translate from klingon to english in that form. The interesting thing is that when I ran it thru a pirate translator, it came back identical to the klingon translation. We might be unlocking the secrets of the universe here with the discovery of a pirate/hebrew/klingon ancestry connection.[/quote:869d97cd78]

did i mention you scare me 😆 freakin trekkies 😛

unstpabl1

Re:

[quote:4bc907e8d4=\”CJs Dad\”]The part about being a sell out is pretty funny. Maybe you should ask him why he has TKD schools in LA, Semi, Valencia that have FIGHT/Haganah programs.

Never mind theres no point.[/quote:4bc907e8d4]

Because they paid him alot and had to buy all the dvd’s and stuff first, but they aren’t selling anything. Its all business. Their isn’t a technique in the world that can’t be criticised, because there is always a counter

vwr32

Re:

[quote:516f8f419f=\”unstpabl1\”]
    Their isn’t a technique in the world that can’t be criticised, because there is always a counter[/quote:516f8f419f]

The weaker one has always been the \”other\” form, ragged on by students and instructors as a way to boost support for their own. It’s a pointless battle, but helps to add content to the bottomless pit of useless waste of time arguments in internet chats right alongside the debates over religion, sports, autos, computers, politics, and the use of supplements. I’ve shoveled a few loads into the pit myself.

As an alternative to both tv and internet argmuments, I’ve decided to buy a new computer and start getting back into gaming. The graphics in games like World in Conflict and the addictive nature of World of Warcraft are just too much to miss out on. At least there, to finish an argument I can kill their little cartoon character and be done with it.

Anyway, there’s only one way to resolve the \”my skill is better than your skill\” debate… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I
    I’ll just keep going with what I feel is best for me and let the forum warriors duke it out in cyberspace. A month from now all the energy dedicated to the current hotheaded blowhard spouting nonsense will have shifted to yet another eruption of idiocy by someone else. I’ve carried the torch too often, time to relax by killing people in violent 3d animation backed by a few hundred watts of thunderous Bose sound and subwoofer bliss. I just need a bit more time to save up for a killer machine lol. 😉

giant-killer

Hmmm, so far he’s still talking about Darren’s supposed weight issues and who knows what instead of the real issue, the third party defense. I still think he misread the picture and just won’t admit it. He even posted on another thread before posting on the \”KM\” one, with what sounded like a flimsy excuse about not responding (in other words he had no good answers to my questions). I don’t know. Anyway, at least I got to set the record straight about our defense. Looks like he will be in an upcoming issue of BB magazine, let’s all take a close, overly critical look at the pictures! 🙂

Hi Giant Killer.

That phrase means \”They shot at us, they did not shoot at them\”

I suppose he’s trying to say something like that the Israelis know how to fight because the Arabs shot at them, and these people on the forums trying to bash Krav Maga have no right to bash it because they have not been shot at.

Re using a Hebrew-English dictionary, it only helps if you already know Hebrew. \”Lo\” means \”no\” or \”not\”, it certainly does not mean \”hello\” in a chat room!

Aleenou = at us
    yaroo = they shot (you have to look up the root of the word, yara, he shot, to find the definition)
    Alehem = at them

So basically to look up Hebrew words in the dictionary, well verbs anyway, 90% of the time you need to know the root or basic form of the word. This would be very hard if not impossible to know if you do not already know Hebrew.

I hope this helps clear it up 🙂

vwr32

Re:

[quote:5feb0cd9bd=\”Liquid Rockface\”]Hi Giant Killer.

That phrase means \”They shot at us, they did not shoot at them\”

I suppose he’s trying to say something like that the Israelis know how to fight because the Arabs shot at them, and these people on the forums trying to bash Krav Maga have no right to bash it because they have not been shot at.

Re using a Hebrew-English dictionary, it only helps if you already know Hebrew. \”Lo\” means \”no\” or \”not\”, it certainly does not mean \”hello\” in a chat room!

Aleenou = at us
    yaroo = they shot (you have to look up the root of the word, yara, he shot, to find the definition)
    Alehem = at them

So basically to look up Hebrew words in the dictionary, well verbs anyway, 90% of the time you need to know the root or basic form of the word. This would be very hard if not impossible to know if you do not already know Hebrew.

I hope this helps clear it up :)[/quote:5feb0cd9bd]

Ahh… that’s probably where things went crazy with the klingon translations too. Thanks for the insight!

dkatman

Re:

[quote=\”vwr32Ahh… that’s probably where things went crazy with the klingon translations too. Thanks for the insight![/quote]

That is so funny! I cannot believe you wrote that….or looked that up like that.

Liquid Rockface,

Thanks for clearning that up. Since reading the first post, I was wondering what it meant.

Thanks,
    Dave

giant-killer

He actually translated it on his forum as well. I think he meant that he was in the army and Darren and John weren’t, so they couldn’t possibly know anything about Krav Maga.

Looks like the whole conversation is gone now, they got a brandnew forum over there. Clean start. Not a bad thing. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: