Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    infosec

I made an intro thread, but not many people are in that section. Tomorrow is my first class and I am very excited. I have no background when it comes to training in any martial art, so I am wondering what I will encounter in my first session and what I should keep in mind while I am there to help me really take in this experience.

Thanks for the help!

-Dave

mdeaneuscg

Re: What to expect?

Just go in with an open mind, and a no quit attitude. Expect to be challenged physically, emotionally, and psychologically. Bring a bottle of water and a towel. Level 1 classes are largely conditioning and foundational work for the later levels. Conditioning doesn’t just refer to physically though. A large part of Krav Maga is the mentality and attitude. If you are expecting a calm experience, you won’t find it. Aggression (controlled of course) is encouraged, and you will be pushed out of your comfort zone at least once. This is done to heighten your stress levels, to give some preparation to the levels of stress you will experience if you are ever the victim of a violent attack

infosec

quote MDeaneUSCG:

Just go in with an open mind, and a no quit attitude. Expect to be challenged physically, emotionally, and psychologically. Bring a bottle of water and a towel. Level 1 classes are largely conditioning and foundational work for the later levels. Conditioning doesn’t just refer to physically though. A large part of Krav Maga is the mentality and attitude. If you are expecting a calm experience, you won’t find it. Aggression (controlled of course) is encouraged, and you will be pushed out of your comfort zone at least once.

Ok will do, thanks tons for the input. I love fighting and I have no problem with being aggressive. I will make sure to post tomorrow night what happened at my class!

don

In addition – hydrate tonight and tomorrow, warm up and stretch, stay in control of yourself, be a good partner, don’t try to prove anything unless it’s to yourself, be respectful/friendly, have fun…

shipwreck

+1 to everything Don said. Be prepared to be sore the next day too. Especially if they decide to do something like knee strikes…..

celtickm

I agree what the other posters on here have said already from my limited experience. I don’t mean to hijack this thread but the OP may also be interested in this; what do you guys normally eat\drink before going to class and how long before class is this?

Thanks

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

invest in a heating pad 🙂

mdeaneuscg

quote Shipwreck:

+1 to everything Don said. Be prepared to be sore the next day too. Especially if they decide to do something like knee strikes…..

Knee strikes won’t be too bad, it’s when they throw in the 360 defense on your first day that test your desire. My fore arms were black and blue for a week after that first class.

charlie1

quote MDeaneUSCG:

Knee strikes won’t be too bad, it’s when they throw in the 360 defense on your first day that test your desire. My fore arms were black and blue for a week after that first class.

One of my fore arms was so black and blue after doing 360 defense in one of the classes that on the way home I stopped and got ice to put on it for the drive home. I accidentally took a swing on the inside flat part right above the wrist and it popped all the veins up. It was a good learning experience though, and everything typically gets easier with time and practice.

shipwreck

quote MDeaneUSCG:

My first class was knee strikes, and we were training with a lot of advanced guys that day as well. Needless to say they didn’t take it easy and it was definitely a wake up call. I don’t care how thick the curve shields are, a full on barrage of knees to the chest hurt.

But yes, I can also remember the first day of 360 blocks. Definitely felt that one for a few days after….

don

quote MDeaneUSCG:

lol you know it’s bad when you almost crash while driving home because you can’t grip the steering wheel properly (and if/when something like a calf cramps up in the middle of the night during stage 4 NREM sleep)…

infosec

Well guys I have successfully completed my first class and damn…..I feel excellent, my muscles are a bit sore. We mostly worked on striking tombstones with our partner and then transitioned to defending yourself from a choke from behind. Everything went very smooth and the final drill incorporated groundwork with choking defense to striking. All in all I’m very sore, but this is something I see myself doing for quite awhile. I would also love to thank all of you for the input. It made the class go very smooth and having a friend there with me also helped a lot! :woohoo:

Before class: I would not recommend eating 2 hours before class. Take a carb bar or peanuts. Hydrate prior to class, but not to much water.

During class: Electrolyte sports drink, carb bar or a little chex or trail mix

for after class: A big glass of chocolate milk some Midol (yes guys, I said Midol) and some horse liniment for the sore muscles.

Day after: If this is your first class try to move the day after, don’t lay around, light stretching, stay hydrated.

Listen to your body, especially if your over your mid-30s. It takes awhile for your body to adjust to this type of training. So ease into it. You have discovered Krav Maga and will most likely want to go to class the next day, but take it slow you have the rest of your life.

Train hard and be safe.

celtickm

Just the kind of info I needed Oglenewinkel especially since I’m not a person who already goes to the gym often!

Thanks for sharing

shipwreck

Chocolate milk is a life saver. The wife and I thought it was strange but it instantly cooled our bodies and relaxed us. Perfect cure for after class!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: