Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    lumpy

Need some input here. If you were going to do intense 8hr/day training for 7 straight days, and all you had was a refrigerator and no way to cook breakfast, what would you eat each morning? What kind of carb protein balance? My 200lb body has limitied fat stores. Dairy dosnt suit me well before training. I am an idiot when it comes to proper diet. I only have low body fat, as I am lazy in diet, but intense in training.

Lunch ideas would be helpful also (keep in mind training immediatly after lunch).

Thanks!

garddawg

Your going to get all kinds of advice here about diet. I’ll let that side go for a minute, but if you expect to be a top performer you have to be disciplined about your diet. Most people put to much emphasis on \”working out\”. In my gym we establish the following to achieve optimal fitness and performance levels. (think of this as a pyramid with diet being the foundation and sport is the peak):

Diet – lays the molecular foundations for fitness and health.

Metabolic Conditioning – builds capacity in each of three metabolic pathways, beginning with aerobic, then lactic acid, and then phosphocreatine pathways.

Gymnastics – establishes functional capacity for body control and
    range of motion.

Weightlifting and throwing – develop ability to control external
    objects and produce power.

Sport – applies fitness in competitive atmosphere with more
    randomized movements and skill mastery.

If the lower levels of the pyramid are not sound the upper levels will not be either.

Our athletes follow the zone diet. Regular guys like myself who work two jobs and are gone from the house for 12-16 hours a day, generally prepare our protein a week in advance. Storing each days protein in baggies or tupperware. Then its easy. Throw the baggie in a cooler with a couple pieces of fruit and a can of nuts and lunch for that day is ready.

kravmdjeff

Lumpy,

Sounds like you’re prepping for phase training.

Eat what you want. Your best hope is to dull the pain 😉

During that kind of training, I ate 5000 calories a day and LOST 13 lbs.

garddawg

Yeah. I had forgotten what that’s like been a few years. 😆

progress

GD-
    Is there one Zone book you would recomend?

thanks

kmcat

Lately I’ve been having these 3 – 4 oz foil packages of tuna. These are a whole lot better for me than the hamburgers I was grabbing for lunch.

Also I have been trying to substitue carrots for chips whenever I feel like the need for \”something crunchy\”.

garddawg

Progress,
    Do you want to understand the theory behind it or do you want to have a good working understanding of how to implement it? Some/ most of the zone books make it so hard to implement, but I can find some good articles for you on how to make it work if your interested.

unstpabl1

Garddawg, Please post. I find the Zone overly complicated.If you have material that simplifies it in application that would be a great help.thanks

garddawg

Lumpy,
    Sorry for sending your thread sideways. Misunderstood your question.

Unstpabl,
    Here is a link to a CF journal that made the Zone easy to implement. It’s $5.00, but well worth it. It gives a list of foods and an easy way to eyeball how much equals of each equals one block. Also divides up foods into low and high glycemic choices. I lamentated the food charts and stuck them on the side of my firdge. Has made being on the zone very easy.

https://store.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F5044990&rnd=9520118&rrc=N&affl=&cip=66.65.204.244&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=cfj021&cat=cfjbak&catstr=HOME:cfjbak

If you have any questions, let me know.

unstpabl1

Lumpy, milk, cottage cheese, fruit,,rye bread, peanut butter,MRP’s, cereal for starters

GD… THANK YOU

lumpy

KMDJeff,

Your assumption is correct, my only problem now is I leave at 1830hrs tonight on a plane for LA, and I am batteling a cold from my 2 and 5 year olds. I am about Zicamed out, but I am now getting my energy level back.

WHen I get the time, I’ll look into the zone stuff..THanks

progress

Thanks GD, I just ordered the journal, I had read the first Zone book years ago and wondered if the blocks had changed from the initial plan. From what I remember it was somewhat difficult to calculate the blocks. Hope this helps make it a bit more simple.

unstpabl1

Lumpy, that airborn stuff works for me, though I use the walborn(walgreens version, same exact formula). Works better when you hit it at the begining, however may be a great idea during the training every 3 hours to keep your immune system strong. Can’t hurt. Good luck
    mike

jaeroo

I generally don’t eat breakfast before a workout. Especially dairy products, they enhance lactic acid soreness. All I have in the morning if I don’t work out at that time is \”Boost\” nutritional energy drink or just a bowl of \”Special K\” cereal with milk. I have a regular breakfast but only once or twice a week only.

slammer

It is clear to me that some people here know a good deal more about nutrition than I do so I will keep this short. It seems to me that while you may not have much fat to fall back on, while training you body will metabolize muscle before fat anyway. I would make sure you do eat a good breakfast/lunch as you seem concerned about, but I would also make sure to have some carb gel or something light and easy to take WHILE training.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: