Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Who here has had to use their KM on the street?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    karlhungus

I have only seen one post where someone talks about being attacked. I am curious who else has had to use it?

I haven’t had to use it yet, thankfully.

kravron

I havent had to use it yet, but I felt alot safer while I was stationed in Qatar for 6 mos. No Hajji was gonna attack me while I was on the town in Doha : 😀

karlhungus

I definately feel safer also, I also think about \”what if\” scenarios WAY more frequently now.

garddawg

I could post a few from our students if you wanted.

clfmak

Last week, one of my students, a heavy set middle aged guy told me a story about how he was attacked a few months ago. While walking to his car with his kid, something hit him across the back, making him arch backwards. It was a guy with a car antenna- big diagonal mark across his back. He turned and slammed an outward hammerfist to the guy’s neck, and the guy collapsed. The guy’s friend then attacked from behind (don’t remember how) and he soccer kicked him in the groin, laying him out as well. Having held focus mitts and other gear for him, I have no doubts about his ablilty to take out someone with one strike. Although he’s only been around of a few months, he said that he used to fight a lot as a kid, and would almost never use his hands- he would kick and elbow.

karlhungus

Re:

quote \”garddawg\:

I could post a few from our students if you wanted.

That would be awesome. Thanks GD.

garddawg

This came from a women who had been training with us for about 6 months.
    She had gone to her ex husbands house to pick up her kids. They had said there good byes and loaded the kids into the car. As she was getting in the car a man wrenched the door open, grabbed her hair and pulled her out of the car yelling \”Get out of the car\”. She burst towards him, throwing punches He lost his footing, fell over, scrambled to his feet and ran off. Eventually the sheriffs caught the guy.

garddawg

Young guy about 24 had been training with me for a few months. He was a BJJ guy before he took up Krav Maga. Trained here in town with several grapplers including the Lions Den and Roy Harris. Anyway, the kids was at a bar (Sorry several of the stories include the phrase ìwas at a barî ) and exchanges words with a hardass. At some point he goes to the restroom. As he swings open the door to come out he gets slammed with a right cross. He covers and regroups under a barrage of punches, does an outside defense and then an elbow to the attackers head. Locks on and begins delivering knees drives the attacker to the ground. The whole time he notices the bouncers standing back and not joining the fray. Turns out the guy was a convict and was reaching for a gun he had in his waist band.
    I was looking for the original email on this and canít find it because it also speaks to the thread on grappling vs. striking. The kid opened his email to me about the incident by thanking me. He said before KM he would have taken the guy to the ground and tried to submit him. He noted it would have given the attacker plenty of time to bring the gun into play.

Have a few more if you want them.

siayn

Cool, keep em coming

clfmak

My experience is mostly isolated to stopping the fights of others. I have jumped into a few fights when it looked like someone might be seriously injured- which is bad for both parties involved. Once I had to pull someone off someone else because he was pounding the other guy’s head ino the concrete. I used a full nelson hold and dragged him back. This came straight from childhood wrestling, and to this day I know no better method to humanely resolve that type of situation. Another time I stopped my car next to a fight and stood nearby just watching, because I didn’t want to intervene unless someone was in danger of being really hurt. I watched with a big wooden stick slung over my shoulder, and was wearing my training clothes because I just got out of the studio. The two were struggling in what was basically a scarf hold. The guy on top saw me and my big stick and ran off. The other guy followed. Roosevelt would be proud. Strangely enough, one of the most useful training methods for intervening is moving step push hands- a form of shoving match from tai chi.
    One time when I was being harassed by some guy who wanted to steal my skateboard at a stoplight. He asked where my name was on it, and I pointed to the beck. As he stooped over to look at it, I swung an uppercut and pulled it just in front of his face. He got the message and left me alone.
    I have instinctively assumed a fighting stance when accosted by various dogs. Fortunately they’ve never caught me in recent times.
    On Tuesday, I was going to a 12:30 class, and across the street I saw some crazy man waving his fists, yelling, and pointing at the air. When he came near a stoplight, he would wind his fist back and hit it with a right haymaker. I made a note of it, because he did it on a few different lightsm with the exact same technique. I saw him approach a guy on a bike and start his yelling. If he looked like he was going to hit him, I made a choice that I’d intervene, and because he used the same technique, I planned out how I would counter his punch and take him down (I planned on ducking under it, pulling out his legs, maintain the hold at his ankles, and driving my boot into his groin, repeatedly if necessary). Fortunately, he was just angry at another metal post.

garddawg

I have a couple good stories of people coming into the gym and challenging me to a fight. I’ll save them for later if this thread doesn’t die and anyone is interested.

Rush Hour traffic, Christmas shopping, tempers flaring. A student and some friends get caught on I-15. The student and one of the passengers have full bladders and need to relieve themselves. They pull off the freeway, and head for a bush (seperate bushes). In the process he had cut off a guy who apparently was not in the holiday spirit. The other driver pulls off the road a little ahead of my student. He runs back and decks my students friend, and heads for my student. My student had time to at least button up and turn as the right punch came. He did an inside defense and countered with several right hands dropping the guy. Best part, the witnesses said that while he was countering he was yelling \”You have made a bad decision\” over and over.

This incident is responsible for the now infamous Brand X defense while peeing drill.

kmsf

My experiences using Krav in real situations happened while doing some bail enforcement ( bountyhunting- think Dog the Bounty Hunter without the cameras and blonde wife- or the millions of $$) which I use to do a couple of years back more frequently. Had to kick in a door once to enter a premisis (krav front kick) Had to defend against a guy coming at me blocking my way in a dark basement where one person was hiding from me. Arresting a big guy in a garage had to wrestle him to get the cuffs on. Defending against a guy that went off on us in a courthouse. Running down one guy and kicking his leg out from behind to stop him. Couple more insignificant ones – and a couple non bail enforcement encounters – one in a Taco Time parking lot when two guys hit my car and called my wife a bitch where I used the car to keep them seperate from each other and could move on them one at a time.

karlhungus

Good posts everyone. Thanks for the input. And I would be happy to hear the stories of you being challenged at your studio GD.

anonymous

When attacked while peeing, maybe you could turn, aim, and hit the attacker with that liquid substance, temporarily blinding him, then counter with punches. 😉

garddawg

I’ve filled in details from talking to the families that watched, the students description is italiced.

\”When my friend was attacked by three young gang members, I jumped in to help him and suddenly I found myself in a 12 on 2 fight. My friend and I faced 12 opponents whose only motivation was to hospitalize us. We did more than just survive the attack, we walked away with very minor injuries. That same weekend, in another part of San Diego, someone else was killed in a similar gang incident…….
    When I jumped to my friend’s aid I suddenly found myself under attack by 5 young gang members.

I am a family man, I had taken my daughters to the beach that night. I am one of the last people you’d picture being involved in a gang fight. Just like most people, I never thought things like this happen to people like me. Guess what – the world has changed and things like this DO happen. I know that the training I received at Brand X saved me from devastating injury… possibly more.\”

Two men, one in his late thirties the other early forties. On their way home from the beach, they stopped with their families to get something to eat. After they ordered the kids and wives went back to the car while the husbands waited for the food. On the way out the door one of the guys was cold cocked. He went down, but immediately came up swinging. The other guy jumped in the fray. The attackers surrounded the men and bum rushed them. Two of the attackers went down from punches, one from being kicked over a table. They had an escape route and took it. got back to their cars. Sheriffs arrived. One of the kids said \”It looked just like a Krav class Dad\”.

Interesting to note, neither dad remembers much of what happened. The daughters can describe blow for blow. Also, I just realized I’ve put four stories up and only one of these instances went to the ground, and that was caused by a strike. He regained his feet ending the engagement standing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: