Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Who is the opponent/enemy?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    cearball

Re: Who is the opponent/enemy?

I dont think the “street fighter” should be underestimated. Iv seen people who’d had training in various types of fighting arts get nailed by “street fighters” with no official training other than experience of real life violence. These people who got beat would have probably battered the “street fighter” in a ring with one hand tied behind their back (ok maybe an exageration :):) but they lost in my opinion because they didnt train for the street & had never experienced the fear/adrenalin that comes with such confrontations.

Its why i like Krav i feel it prepares you for such situations better than other fighting arts, not necessarily physically but mentaly.

clfmak

quote TheCrownsOwn:

LIke this poor guy who’s an expert….is his system the problem…or is it the practitioner? How do we know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I&feature=related

At the very least, poor training method. Its telling that a man of his background was unable to defend against a WRIST GRAB of all possible things.

jesse

I see what the original poster is asking, but I also have to agree with the majority of the posters on the thread. Things happen way too fast to try to figure out a fighter’s background much. Some things I can and will do simply because of my training. I’d automatically be noticing a number of things. Bear in mind that most of these wouldn’t end up conciously being noticed at all. It would be more of a subliminal thing if I’m doing it right.

His right/left leg is forward. (Which am I going to target first.)

He’s in a good/bad stance. (I can disrupt it easily or not.)

He’s got his weight forward/back. (Is he really into this? Afraid? Used to using his hands? Feet? About to shoot for my legs?)

He’s got his hands high/low/close/out a ways. (Which target am I going to go for? Where is he going to leave an opening?)

You can take all of these things…and the way the person moves in the subsequent fight and figure out much more about the person’s background and training. If they end up taking it to the ground, you can figure they have a wrestling or mma background etc…. Frankly though, if you spend all the time to reason backwards from the very basic things that you’ve seen, then they’ll already have you.

I’ve had a few times in my life where I realised that I was very likely to get into a fight with a particular person or two. I then spent a good bit of time finding out about what they knew how to do. In the heat of the moment, however, I simply have to let it go and do what I know to do or I won’t react in time. If what I do doesn’t work, then I have a few options for next time (If there is one :(:). Either I failed to correctly do what I already had been taught to do, so I need to train more techniques and in more realistic situations. Or possibly what I had been trained to do wasn’t actually effective in the first place so I need to realise it and look for something else (which is why I’m now in Krav rather than back to what I did during high school). Or possibly I was in an extremely difficult situation to win ie: multiple attackers, big body weight difference, weapons. In that case you’re simply going to have to train more…and *cough* figure out how to change the odds (get a gun, dog, bodyguard, house on the other side of town, etc…)

Good luck…spar more against different opponents.

michaelmall

That guy in the video must of forgot to tell his opponent that he
    was a kiai master.If you have to get in a fight ,you don’t have time
    to worry about what your opponent knows it will slow you down.
    I think that krav covers a large variety of arts in it’s training.
    I see tae kwon do,muay tia,boxing ,karate,jui jitsu,and a lot of
    other arts.So I would say it is a mma.

kravmdmatt

It is not the training or experience of the attacker you should necessarily worry about. It is the individual(s) and the situation at hand you should focus on.

I have seen people with extensive martial arts backgrounds with years of training that couldn’t fight their way out of a wet paper bag. On the other side you have people with no training and couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn if they were standing inside of it, but are EXTREMELY aggressive and violent.

There’s no way to train on how to handle every single different type of attacker with varying skill levels. One cannot say if A happens respond with B.

So if you find yourself in a dangerous situation, you really need to use whatever strategy will get you out to safety. Even if it means not fighting at all. If you do have to fight for you life or safety then you do whatever it takes to end it quickly. No rules. No fair play or sportsmanship. There is no “feeling out” process to see what the attacker(s) know or don’t know. You use the techniques with the highest probability of success with 100% output.

As one of my instructors once said – “Don’t start fights. Finish them.”

One of the reasons instructors tend to use the term “attacker” instead of “opponent” is the latter tends to give students the idea that the other person is of equal size, weight, skill level and experience similar to a competition.

Where as “attacker” should be seen as a dangerous, violent irrational person bent on causing harm and death and should be dealt with accordingly.

For situations, you should hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
    For the skill level of the attacker, you should hope for the worst, but prepare for the best.

relli-kant

quote BrentW:

…whether that be the awkward attacker who is totally random and catches us off guard (if you spar I know you have met this guy).

I have! There was that guy I once sparred with, who was doing cartwheels in the middle of the fight. Talk about random and being caught off guard… rofl2

Anonymous
    Inactive

The thing I love about KM is that it really doesnt matter what they can do. I have learned and read about and watched or otherwise absorbed information on lots and lots of martial arts. Such as taekwondo, kung fu, tai chi, aikido, weeping style jutjitsu, bjj, american wrestling, boxing, karate, and many others on a lower level. Also Ive spent litterally hours watching videos of real life street fights. (Street-Fu)

My conclusion is that KM has the most amazingly quick start-to-useful speed. What I mean by that is A yellow belt could beat the crap out of even a moderately skilled person.

The thing is, no mater the style chosen, someone is better than you. But even the least naturally skilled can defeat an attacker via KM. Besides, you really wont find many well trained muggers. The odds of you being mugged are 1/1000 in a densely populated area and 1/2000 in the suburbs and remote in the country side. The odds of that person being well: trained very low. The odds of them being any kind of master.. probably non existant.

drlvegas

quote Psyops:

Umm…

That system is chocalate covered bull****! Waste of time. For chris’s sake. Anyways to answer the original question. I don’t care what my attacker knows. He better understand that if he attacks me he’s getting his ass beaten. Simple and plain. An ass beaten delivered to a Kung Fu master is the same as one delivered to a Karate Master!

Krav or no krav the attitude has to be the same. The attitude is I will do whatever it takes to destroy the person attacking me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMZfdCkYPig

After watching this video, I decided to quit Krav & start Capoera, so I can really kick some ass.

sundance

I started training in martial arts to defend myself against anyone who tries to attack me.

relli-kant

quote Drlvegas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMZfdCkYPig

After watching this video, I decided to quit Krav & start Capoera, so I can really kick some ass.

Ha! That’s just like my guy with the cartwheels! Unfortunately, I was very inexperienced at the time and didn’t do the obvious to him, as this fighter did! Well, next time… rofl2

parishd

quote Relli Kant:

Ha! That’s just like my guy with the cartwheels! Unfortunately, I was very inexperienced at the time and didn’t do the obvious to him, as this fighter did! Well, next time… rofl2

I just got caught off guard by a cartwheel-like maneuver today from someone who, interestingly enough, formerly trained in Capoera. I thought he was backing off, and he was from the waist up, so I closed only to have his upper body disappear and his foot come out of nowhere to hit me right in the side of the head. I know I’m inexperienced, but I swear that foot wasn’t even attached to his body. :confused:

jesse

That’s actually a different camera angle from the movie “Never Back Down” that ended up not being used in the movie.

pugnax88

quote Jesse:

That’s actually a different camera angle from the movie “Never Back Down” that ended up not being used in the movie.

I was going to point this out, as well.

My understanding of Krav was that we are supposed to bring the fight to them and not give them the opportunity to use any training they might have. If you get jumped, obviously this wouldn’t apply, but once the initial surprise is over, you should be able to do what we’re all training to do.

jrodf4

Knowing techniques and doing it correctly are very important BUT live sparring and learning to correct your mistakes while actually practicing/sparring is what makes you a good fighter.

jrodf4

One thing I didn’t like about the place I train at is that they are doing a fighting introductory class (sparring) which costs about $250 dllrs. That was kind of weird sparring should be a norm in a self defense/mma training class. The better you students get the better they will make your facility and self defense style look. Word of mouth goes a long way.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: