Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    bellenova

Why Krav Maga?

I decided I wanted to pursue MA a few years ago as a way to get over my PTSD from a serious car accident. That may sound kind of weird, but I had always wanted to do MA of some kind, and I figured that it would help me deal with the constant anxiety and feelings of not being in control.

I ended up in Krav Maga because I saw an ad for a new school near my house, one day, and I thought I would be ready to finally go for it. I looked up some info on the history and fighting style, and I liked what I saw. Since the focus was on aggressiveness and real-world practicallity, I knew that it was the thing for me. Once I met the instructors and took an intro session, I signed up right away.

It’s been about two months, and I am totally hooked, and it has helped with my PTSD tremendously. Plus, there’s nothing that relieves stress quite like beating the hell out of a tombstone or kick shield 😉

defensediva

I feel much as bellenova feels about Krav. I started a while ago, tried a few schools in the NY area, was mightily discouraged (and STILL intimidated). Finding KMLI was a godsend because they made me feel COMFORTABLE about training my hardest. I, too, love it. And why Krav in particular? No nonsense, reality.

kravron

No forms, no complicated body movement, practical realistic training, actual gun/knife defenses, using whatever is at hand to make sure you win. Thats my way, thats the Krav way…we get along together 😈

kravmdjeff

Re:

quote \”bellenova\:

Why Krav Maga?

I decided I wanted to pursue MA a few years ago as a way to get over my PTSD from a serious car accident. That may sound kind of weird, but I had always wanted to do MA of some kind, and I figured that it would help me deal with the constant anxiety and feelings of not being in control.

I ended up in Krav Maga because I saw an ad for a new school near my house, one day, and I thought I would be ready to finally go for it. I looked up some info on the history and fighting style, and I liked what I saw. Since the focus was on aggressiveness and real-world practicallity, I knew that it was the thing for me. Once I met the instructors and took an intro session, I signed up right away.

It’s been about two months, and I am totally hooked, and it has helped with my PTSD tremendously. Plus, there’s nothing that relieves stress quite like beating the hell out of a tombstone or kick shield 😉

Bellenova, this may be totally out of left field, but I am currently attempting to work with a counseling center near our facility that specializes in PTSD recovery…do you think you could write up a more detailed account of what you just wrote out?

bellenova

Re:

quote \”KravMDjeff\:

Bellenova, this may be totally out of left field, but I am currently attempting to work with a counseling center near our facility that specializes in PTSD recovery…do you think you could write up a more detailed account of what you just wrote out?

Nope, not out of left field at all. Shoot me an email at [email protected] and I’ll send something over.

ffdo

OK, I have tried various MAs here and there and some had good potential for self defense. After going through LEO training I started looking for something that would compliment the DT we got there. I was taking Aikedo when I too saw the discovery chn show and started looking into KM. I tried a class when I was in DC and was hooked…….

Why I liked it and have stuck with it when I have never stayed with an MA. Each MA has something to offer when it comes to DT/SD but often it takes years of practice before much of it becomes practical. In KM you learn something in every class that could apply on the street. No rules is another reason. I could care less about scoring points, I want to survive and have to protect those around me. KM is no nonsense and you learn from lesson one valuable tools for your chest…..

JC

zapper

Gotta agree with FFDO. Krav Maga classes are always good, and that’s amazing to me. Also, it could be my imagination, but KM students are just cooler people than students of other MAs!

stvb

I chose Krav for two reasons: 1) self defense, and 2) fitness. For the self defense aspect, I have always hated being weaker than men and knowing that if a man ever attacked me that I’d most likely lose. I know that I won’t change the strength part of things b/c I’m not willing to become a powerlifter, but I wanted to take a martial art in order to learn how to use what I have to my greatest advantage.

I also had recently relocated and I was looking for a new gym to join to stay in shape. I saw an article in the local news paper about Krav, and I was intrigued. The next week I traveled to Kentucky for work and I saw an article about Krav in a paper there. I figured it was an omen, like one of those jokes where the guy keeps seeing the same 5 numbers popping up all around him, then he doesn’t play the lottery and those are the winning numbers that night. I kept seeing Krav info, so I knew that I just had to try it.

So now I really like it, and I do feel somewhat safer because while I would be a fighter by nature when attacked, I now have a few self defense options that I could use should a situation arise. I can’t wait until I learn more and I’m acutally good at it!

Please don’t let this give rise to a whole bunch of people telling me that I’m now dangerously overconfident b/c you won’t see me walking down the street in a bad neighborhood picking a fight b/c I’m now a professional Krav warrior. I would not purposely pick a fight, but having a small amount of Krav training has made me more situationally aware and more likely to use effective defenses against an assailant.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: