Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Why so much strange kicks in higher levels.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    lions2011

I like your basic Thai kick to leg, push kick and groin kick.

Why does the level 2-3 focus on so many bizarre kicks like side kick, back kick, slap kick, etc…

Far easier to use back elbow or hammer fist for side or back attacks.

smokelaw1

Re: Why so much strange kicks in higher levels.

quote lions2011:

Why does the level 2-3 focus on so many bizarre kicks like side kick, back kick, slap kick, etc…

No one ever complained that they had too many tools with which to defend themselves. There is a time and a place for everything. Sure, there will be more times I use a “basic” strike. That’s why they are the foundation. And I don’t really think of side or back kicks as “bizarre.” I don’t like the slap kick for much, but I’ve sure had them used against me with good results.

If I remember your earlier posts, you are a yellow belt? So by the time you are learning the more advanced, spinning, etc kicks, you will likely see the usefullness, even if you continue to favor the “basics” like I do.

don

I’m STILL waiting for CJ’s Dad to teach me the flying monkey kick… :rolleyes::D:

mara-jade

There’s nothing wrong with having more than 1 kick tool in the toolbox. Strange? Perhaps to you as you may not have done them yet. Some take getting used to as I’ve learned:wav:

kmman

It’s those darn instructors with the TKD backgrounds!

greenbeanie

quote lions2011:

“The reasons for including these “fancy” techniques are:

1. Because other systems use them, we must be proficient enough to train how to defend them.
    2. Increased ability to perform these techniques tends to improve the basic techniques as well.”

–Complete Krav Maga

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote don:

i’m Still Waiting For Cj’s Dad To Teach Me The Flying Monkey Kick… :rolleyes::d:

Lol

unstpabl1

quote lions2011:

Is it? How much extra reach does the kick give you over a strike? If multiples are involved would it be helpful to defend 360 degrees? Is it helpful to know how to defend other things you may see? if I said we work ocassionally a back kick and a version of a chicken kick and even a spin kick in Muay Thai would you believe me? Am I asking a lot of questions? I’m asking because you seem to have it all figured out:rolleyes:

plus one on CJ’s Dad’s Flying monkey kick

neilm

Fairly simple answer to me on those. If an assailant is to your side or rear and is at kicking range. I’m sure your instructor can tell you more about ranging – long, medium or short. Kicking distance, punching distance, elbowing/kneeing distance. If you’re asking about fancier things like high roundhouses, spinning kicks etc, I have heard two reasons given: 1) You train in them, so that your partner (and in turn yourself) can practice the defences. 2) You never know when things come up. As part of the fundamentals of Krav, we’re looking at chaotic real world situations. It’s always possible that a striking opportunity will come up at an unusual angle etc. Maybe there’s some furniture in the way, or your assailant is significantly taller/shorter than you, on uneven ground, someone who drops their guard and leaves an obvious opening in a particular location… allsorts. P.S. My personal incentive is rather different: I love kicking stuff!

lions2011

Actually I am looking forward to working on my side and back kick in the fall. your right it is very fun kicking things. Much safer than punching as my fists and knuckles hurt alot.

However, I think the heel and axe kicks and slap kicks may be too hard for me as I do not have great coordination and flexiblity.

So your up in Birmingham UK and not Birmingham Alabama….. Surprise they have Krav up there. Glad they do.

unstpabl1

In my Muay thai class which is taught by ex Lumpinee Thai fighters. we do a Thai kick/spinning heel kick and a couple jump kicks which suprises a lot of new guys.

Saenchai one on the all time greats of the sport does a cartwheel kick regularly and lands it

I catch guys with spinning back kicks alot either because their not use to seeing it, think its a spinning elbow or are laughing too hard at watching the fat old guy spin with such deceptive slowness

Had a trainer Javier The Gaucho Diez won multiple KB titles who killed w/ the Axe kick

Axe and cresents will open up your hips and improve both coordination and flexibility so even if it’s not a tech you like it’ll help your overall game

I was always a fan of the axe and crescent kicks.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Jump spinning axe kick FTW 🙂 (thats the flying monkey kick joke btw)

unstpabl1

quote CJs Dad:

Jump spinning axe kick FTW 🙂 (thats the flying monkey kick joke btw)

I’m still waiting for the tutorial dvd series on that kick.:beer:

Besides being that your a Martial Art Hall Of Famer you need an instructional series ANYWAY…………:tantrum: OH OH OH or better yet a documentry.thumbsup I’ll direct. We’ll entitle it IF I WANTED TO ROLL AROUND ON THE FLOOR I’D BUY A LABADOR

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote unstpabl1:

I’m still waiting for the tutorial dvd series on that kick.:beer:

Besides being that your a Martial Art Hall Of Famer you need an instructional series ANYWAY…………:tantrum: OH OH OH or better yet a documentry.thumbsup I’ll direct. We’ll entitle it IF I WANTED TO ROLL AROUND ON THE FLOOR I’D BUY A LABADOR

ROFL – Nice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: