Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    johnwhitman

I’d like to thank everyone who attended this year’s Winter Camp in Colorado. We had a great time! Training began on Friday with an mma fighting class by Jeff Jimmo. If you haven’t trained with Jeff yet, take the next opportunity! Jeff has a world of knowledge both in sport fighting and ring fighting of all kinds. Jeff teaches at Ryan Hoover’s Extreme Karate in North Carolina, which also has a great KM program!
    Jeff’s Friday seminar was fantastic, and it was fun for me personally to get to train!

On Saturday, I conducted an advanced black belt seminar with a great group of students; the training included advanced gun work under high stress.

James Hiromasa, a KM black belt who hosted the whole event, then ran two seminars. The first was on Accessing Higher Force Options for civilians — moving from self defense to a concealed weapon (if you have one). Then James did a Law Enforcement Only seminar which was also great.

After that, Jeff did another great training seminar on fighting skills both in and out of the ring.

I ended with more advanced training, including knife v. knife, and Cold Weather scenarios while wearing bulky clothing.

After that long day of training on Saturday, Sunday was time for fun! James had arranged a private car on the Ski Train that runs from Denver up into the mountains. The entire KM group rode together in this very cool private car, then spent the day skiing and snowboarding at Winter Park, 10,000 feet up! At day’s end, we all rode back in the private car. I believe one or two people had a drink, but I don’t recall for sure. 🙂

Thanks to James and Shannon who arranged the entire event. It was fabulous, and they deserve all our appreciation for their hard work.

Thanks, too, to all the students who trained so hard!

I urge you all to come to next year’s Winter Camp. It is open to students from all schools. We hope that Winter Camp, along with L.A.’s Summer Camp, become the two main events of the KM year. Winter Camp is a GREAT opportunity to get excellent training and meet others in our KM community. This year was great, and next year will be even better!!!

anonymous

Wow, man, that sounds really awesome and NOW you’re telling us? 😥

Wished I’d been there. Private ski trips up the mountain? And getting drunk while you’re up there? 😀 And then practicing KM while you are skiing drunk down the mountain? Sounds like pretty advanced training. 8)

Is Jeff Jimmo ever coming to LA? He seems to be pretty interesting from what I’ve heard about him here.

al

For the record, I attended the Winter Camp, but due to an eye injury, was unable to train. I sat on the side, watched, and took notes, and can’t wait to try what was shown when the eye is healed.

I’ve been going to various martial arts seminars for over 10 years now, and this was definately one of, if not the best I’ve ever been to.

Even though Mr. Whitman and Mr. Jimmo had been traveling since the early hours of Friday morning, and they were dealing with the effects of being at high altitude, both showed an amazing amount of energy when they hit the mat. Jeff’s classes are always awesome. You spend as much time laughing as you do sweating, and you learn some very effective techniques everytime. Find where this guy is teaching and make a point to go to one of his classes. You will not be disappointed.

Mr. Whitman’s classes were top notch. He has the ability to help you take the basic techniques of Krav Maga and apply them to higher level techniques in a way few other instructors can do, and he does it so that it’s fun and enjoyable.

James Hiromasa’s classes are fantastic. I’ve never seen a better martial arts instructor, and more concerned teacher would be impossible to find. When he wasn’t teaching, he was constantly in motion checking on all the students and instructors to ensure everyone was enjoying the event. On Saturday afternoon, he was injured when a couple of students crashed into his knee from the side, and he partially tore the lateral tendon in his knee.
    While most of us would have been down for the rest of the month, James took his brace off the next morning and spent the day snow boarding, and walking around the ski train making sure everyone was having fun.

This was a GREAT seminar with some of the nicest people in the business. The only complaint I have is that Shannon Hiromasa didn’t teach any of the classes. She is one of the best ( and toughest ) teachers you will ever come across, and because of her diminutive size, she makes up for it with some of the cleanest, best Krav techniques you will ever see. She also has the heart of a true warrior. She suffered a concussion in training on Thursday, and was practicing hard on Friday! This woman is hardcore.

The ski train was a great way to end the weekend. A nice relaxing ride through the Rocky Mountains to Winter Park with a bunch of exhausted Krav Maga students and teachers. I don’t think it gets any better than that.

So start saving your money now for next year!

kravmdjeff

Jeff Jimmo will be at Krav Maga Maryland in Columbia, MD on April 21st to do a seminar on \”dirty fighting\”-pre-emptive striking, fight psychology, etc. We are quite excited to have him.

Sorry, I know we’re not supposed to use the forum for advertising…but I figured Jeff Jimmo deserved an exception

anonymous

How much did they charge for all of that fun?

johnwhitman

I concur and further, since it’s Jeff, believe he should receive an allowance, anomalism, anomaly, departure, deviation, difference, dispensation, eccentricity, nonconformity, peculiarity, perquisite, and a privilege. 🙂

anonymous

😯 Wow, that’s quite an endorsement. Sounds like John is in love…. 😆

Now I really want to meet Jeff. Maybe, when KravMD is done with him, he can send him over to LA? We could put up a mattress in room 3, it’ll save him hotel costs and we’ll always have him handy to teach us all kinds of cool stuff… 8)

al

GiantKiller –

The cost of the entire seminar, including the ski train was $199.00. The cost without the ski train was $149.00. If you should come out next year, make sure you do the ski train. That’s where they show you all the level 6 techniques that are approved for only the most serious of Krav students. 😀

la-revancha

JEFF JIMMO IS GOOD FOR AMERICA!!!!

Furthermore, his spanish is pretty extensive.

Apologies to James, Sr. Whitman, et al., for not attending. Money was tight.

El Burrito

anonymous

199$ for everything sounds like a great deal. Did you have to buy lift tickets for the skiing, or did you just take the cool car? 😀 I had this whole thread going once about doing KM while skiing, that would be an excellent time to try it out!

Are there any affordable hotels nearby?

al

Lift tickets and equipment rentals were additional. Discounted lift tickets were $55.00. I don’t know what the equipment rental fee was because I didn’t ski.

After the long hours of training on Friday and Saturday, I don’t think you could have found anyone who wanted to talk about Krav, let alone practice on the slopes. The ski train is just for relaxing and getting to know your classmates a little better.

jburtonpdx

The only problem that I noticed was that Jeff’s pants were to long, he kept tripping over them….

anonymous

Could you bring your own equipment? How long were you on the mountain? 55$ for lift tickets sounds good. Were there a lot of slopes?

Guess I just want to go skiing, there’s little rain in LA this year, so not much snow in the local mountains.

I’m sure you guys just wanted to relax, but how about some pole vs pole stick fighting? Or being choked while on skis? Or bear hugs with actual bears doing the hugging? Tons of fun stuff to practice…

al

You can always bring your own equipment, I just think that flying with that stuff can be a bit of a pain.

Winter Park is an awesome ski resort. There are 134 designated trails ranging from easy beginner to \”Oh, shit!\” advanced. They have 24 lifts that can move 36,000 riders up slope each hour. The average snowfall is 351 inches.

Sorry to break your heart, but unless the resort is taken over by terrorists, like in some bad movie, you’re not going to find anyone interested in doing Krav on the slopes. ( Mr. Whitman did teach a winter class where people wore thick gloves and parkas the day before. ) James Hiromasa believes in training HARD in class, but when it’s time to relax, it’s time to relax.

bar-el

I have been to most all of the big ski resorts here in Colorado, except Steamboat Springs, and I’d have to say Winterpark is my second favorite, with Vail being my number one pick. I’d agree with Al, in that the terrain is diverse, so there is something for everybody. You can’t go wrong….unless you go down the wrong run.

Unfortunately I did not get to attend the seminars, maybe in the future we could have some during the week?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: