Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Working out the same day of class

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    lor

For those of you who work out at home, do you guys do a full workout on the same day of class? If so, do you notice any change in your energy level?

So far, I haven’t really noticed a huge difference between the days I work out and the days I don’t, but I’m inexperienced. I’m wondering if doing both on the same day is, although doable, perhaps not the best idea.

tough-girl

I’d say it depends on the type of workout you’re doing outside of class, and how much time you have between the two. If it’s cardio, I see no problems. If it’s weight training, there can be difficulties, and it’ll all depend on what’s done in class. If you do weights before work and have the full day to recover before an evening class, it shouldn’t matter much. I don’t have that option, so I prioritise the two, usually putting Krav first, and then seeing if I can still do the planned workout, or something close enough to it, afterwards. Sometimes the workout needs to be postponed until the next day, or split up somehow…can’t do heavy deadlifts after hard groundwork, as I learned 😛

jjbklb

I had to give up my weight training on class day.That reduced my weight workout to twice a week.I also gave up running on class day.

klem

It is possible to lift before Krav on the day of class but there are some conditions. It would help if you have been lifting awhile and have a solid base conditioning.

Don’t go from the weightroom straight to Krav class. Lift in the AM or lunch if you have an evening class to allow a few hours of recovery. Most importantly, don’t go full out to failure or max weight and/or reps on the day of KM class. The best is if you have a heavy/light day routine and do the light day on class day.

I know that basketball players- college and pro, often lift on game days because of their tight schedules during the season. Like anything else, it may work for some and not for others. Also work in the lifting slowly and see if it effects your Krav.

kravmdjeff

Klem…funny, my basketball coaches told us strictly to NOT do that…messes up the fine motor skills involved in shooting and ball handling. Which was tough, because in high school most guys doubled with football and they just came off the football season and wanted to keep lifting since they were sort of at peak.

alny1

😆 dont football players workout with weights and practice 2 or three times a day at camp. it can only make you better. rest when you sleep[/b]

garddawg

First, if I hear someone say I’m doing \”cardio\” to get ready for Krav maga one more time I’ll……..

When you are starting KM it is probably better not to workout the day of class. But depending on your starting point and how quickly you adapt you can add it in.
    The idea behind many of our drills is to work hard enough so that you lose fine motor control. Hopefully you do and your instructor is there yelling at you to:
    1. keep going
    2. get your form back together
    The key to getting better is to vary your workouts, vary your movements, very often. Once you are a KM veteren you should try lifting before class, it will make you better. You should lift after class, it will make you better. If you can, try lifting during class, it will make you better.

By the way, totally disagree with the deadlifting after grappling. If you can’t it defines a weakness and should be fixed. We have done the following workout before and after grappling.
    10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of the triplet:
    Deadlift: 1 ? bodyweight
    Bench press: bodyweight
    Clean: æ bodyweight
    Storm through for time
    First few times we did it killed us. Not anymore.

emil

garddawg, I also hate the \”I do bi’s and tri’s on one day…\”

garddawg

Just kills me….

johnl-d11

I lift right after my KM classes on monday and thurs. I go as heavy as possible and have been doing this for 3-4 months. Been getting stronger too. One thing that I can’t do is run the same day as KM, I did that a few times and thought I was going to keel over during drills. I even do the last 20-30 mins of my TKD class even though I’m not too effective since the KM class was so demanding.

johnl-d11

Garddawg, You have some sweet workouts.. Hard, but very demanding and \”fun\” 😆

lor

Re:

garddawg ~ \”First, if I hear someone say I’m doing \”cardio\” to get ready for Krav maga one more time I’ll……..\”

I’m doing cardio to get ready for Krav. 😛

Back to my question. My concern is injury here. I understand that part of Krav is learning to perform under physical stress, which is fine by me. I just wonder if the combination of Krav *and* an individual’s regular workout isn’t too much for one day, opening the door for injuries that could have otherwise been prevented.

garddawg

I am now officially practicing headbutts on the concrete wall. 😉

g-v

Re:

quote \”Lor\:

garddawg ~ \”First, if I hear someone say I’m doing \”cardio\” to get ready for Krav maga one more time I’ll……..\”

I’m doing cardio to get ready for Krav. 😛

Back to my question. My concern is injury here. I understand that part of Krav is learning to perform under physical stress, which is fine by me. I just wonder if the combination of Krav *and* an individual’s regular workout isn’t too much for one day, opening the door for injuries that could have otherwise been prevented.

I’d ease into it if I was you. Me personally, I went from alternating krav class days with workout days, to occasional workout days together with krav class, to ocasional workout days with two krav classes. Your body gets used to it.

anonymous

So, let’s say you’re sore from Krav class and the next day you want to do some weight lifting. Is it okay to do that, or bad for the muscles? If you feel sore, is it better to rest until the soreness is gone?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: