Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Working out the same day of class

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    tough-girl

I’m very rarely sore from Krav…last time was over a month ago, and it was my nose…so I’m a bad person to answer that.

Garddawg, I understand that deadlifts are possible after grappling, but when I say heavy, I mean I train PL-style, so heavy probably has a different meaning for me than most people. I have no problem doing deads with 1.5x my bw after class. If some part of your body isn’t taxed after an hour of grappling with somebody who weighs literally twice as much as you, my hat’s off to whatever you’re doing that I’m not. And please share.

clfmak

cardio for martial arts? Isolating bi’s and tri’s? What about the no red meat high carbohydrate diet? Yay for rice cakes!

tough-girl

Um…I eat rice cakes with my protein shake after my weight sessions…do you need to indulge in self-flagellation now, too? 😈

klem

KravMDjeff, I’m not surprised that your coach told you not to lift weights the day of the game. Many \”sport\” coaches are full of assumptions and uneducated biases regarding strength and conditioning. They are doing what they think is right, but it just isn’t necessarily the truth.
    I’ve spoken with the basketball strength and conditioning coaches for the University of Florida, Pittsburg, Ohio State, and Xavier. All of them have their athletes lift on game days if the scheduled lifting day is the same.
    Again, these are well trained athletes who lift as part of their daily routine. The intensity and the exercises done on game are sometimes adjust according the the needs of the specific athlete.
    The original point is that you can lift on the day of Krav but you can’t be totally exhausting yourself. Start slowly, and see how it effects your Krav and ability to recover.

Regarding soreness the day after class and lifting (or exercise of any kind-light running, shadow boxing, a game of basketball). Excluding injury, doing something that increases your blood flow and flushes out lactic acid may be very beneficial. Do something light with higher reps than normal. After doing light exercises it would also be a great time to stretch and work on increasing your flexibility. Keep in mind that the goal here would not be to get stronger or faster. A tem used in conditioning circles is \”active\” rest.

garddawg

tough girl,
    When talking about working out for fighting, anyone who talks deadlifts rather than their bicep pump is on the right track in my book. Our gym record was set last month by a 230 pound kid who tripled 625. I s**#, at 165 I’m still trying to break 400. I guess that will go on the things to do in 2006 list.
    As far as fitness goes I want to train my people to have the broadest spectrum of fitness possible. Most people would say that running a 6:00 minute mile is good, doing 50 pull ups is good, deadlifting 225 for thirty reps is good. I want my guys to run the mile in 6:00, burst in the door at a full run, jump up on the bar do their 50 pull ups come off the bar and crank out their 30 reps for the deadlift without a break.
    That kind of fitness is totally different than the \”I run on the treadmill three times a week right before arm day crowd.\”

johnl-d11

I tried to do this last night and dear lord, it sucked.

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of the triplet:
    Deadlift: 1 ? bodyweight
    Bench press: bodyweight
    Clean: æ bodyweight

I did my interval running, the 5mph, then 10mph.. ended with 3 mins at 10mph then went straight to the rack and started. Gonna ween myself in, so I only did even reps 🙂 and not the entire weight. When I finally got done, I had a pool of sweat under me. Loved it. 😆

garddawg

Glad you enjoyed it. 😆 Do start slowly.

klem

garddawg and JohnL, I think you’ve gone over your lifting backgrounds in the past so this may not apply to you guys so much as those who have limited or no experience with exercises like deadlifts (I love them too, along with squats).
    Always make sure that you are using good form. Look straight ahead, chest up, back straight, shoulders pulled back. Think of the arms as ropes connecting your hands to your shoulders, keep the bar close to your legs and over your feet, and use your legs to power the lifts. It may help to think of pushing your heels into the ground as you lift.
    Avoid bending at the waist, using your lower back to lift the weight, letting the bar drift away from your body, jerking up the weight, or using your arms in some kind of modified row.
    If you are doing higher reps, especially pay attention as you come to the end of a set where you may be tired and start of cheat. Also, use the same technique lowering the weight as you did lifting it up. A back injury will not only end your lifting for a long time but also your Krav training.

anonymous

Talking about muscles soreness, how come some parts of the body seem to get more easily sore than others? I could work out my upper body intensely and the next day I might be stiff and have some soreness. But if I do just a handful of squats I’m unable to walk for a week. That’s really annoying and as a result I’ve stopped doing intense (or even light) leg workouts. Also, when my legs get sore, they get injured sometimes, the area that is sore somehow tightens up, very hard to describe, but suddenly it’s not just sore anymore but injured somehow. If I keep the leg still, it will be better in a few days, so it’s not a pull or anything. This affects mostly the muscles in the inner thigh. Any thoughts on that?

One thing I’ve discovered that can prevent muscle soreness is icing the muscle you know will be sore right after the workout and maybe once more a few hours later. That has helped me with my legs, but of course it’s time consuming. Is there anything else out there that can help prevent muscle soreness or treat it when it’s already there?

clfmak

Self-flagellation? I have one of these… http://www.coldsteel.com/95sseries.html
    Anyway, what I was especially referring to was the popularity of a diet based around highly processed carbohydrates like bread, pasta, rice cakes, things like that.

tough-girl

That’d suffice 😈
    Just asking because the other guy had to go practise bouncing his head on the wall…

garddawg

only if you mention cardio again. 😆

Good point you have mentioned about the diet CLF.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: