Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    hollywood

I’ve been training krav maga and brazilian jiu jitsu for about 11 months now. I do bjj on mondays and wednesday for about an hour and krav on tuesdays and thursdays for about two hours. I grew up playing sports and have lifted weights since about the age of 13;I’m 26 by the way. I get a great workout from both arts but I would really like to do some weight lifting too. I was thinking a more fighting specific lifting; higher reps and more full body movement lifts. What I really needed advise on is with my schedule what days, how often, and what lifts to do. Oh yeah, I really wouldn’t be able to do the morning lifting being I get back from training at 9pm and leave for work at 6am; i gotta sleep:).Any advise would be appreciatied. Thanks

johnl-d11

I pretty much do the same arts (KM and BJJ).. I stick with those on Mon-Wed-Thur-Sat. Krav on Mon-Thur, BJJ on the other 2 days… On Tuesdays and Fridays, I will do interval cardio at the gym (or golf if its nice out. 😀 ) and full body lifts. Deadlifts, Squats, chin ups, clean/jerk, thrusters. We also get creative at our school, like pushing cars, sprinting back to do a weight exercise, repeat 3-4 times. But I don’t do high reps, I try to go as heavy as possible and get as many reps as I can.

kravjeff

Must be nice to be able to dedicate that much time to training!!! You must be signgle … 🙂

johnl-d11

Nope, but my wife gets home about the same time I do, plus she works saturdays.. Gotta love a hairdressers schedule. 😀

la-revancha

Search funciton will set you free!

Strength/conditioning/tough fun: Crossfit. Garddawg is a KM/CF instructor on this forum, he can fill you in. Crossfit got me in shape for my krav black belt test earlier this year (thanks to CFDC!!). When done correctly, a full CF debilitating workout takes less than a half hour. BJ Penn and John Hackleman (Chuck Liddell’s trainer) are big advocates as well.

Isometric strength/flexibility/breath control in uncomfortable positions/healing your training wounds: yoga. Here’s the routine I have done religiously for 3 years.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bryan-Kest-Power-Complete-Collection/dp/B0001WTWYC

This helped undo all the damage accrued from said black belt test 😉 Thanks again Sr. Whitman and Sr. Wilkening!!!

Yes, the yoga guy is fruity, but his workout (#2) is brutal. Also, you can pop in the DVD at your leisure and bring it with you when you travel.

garddawg

La Revancha,
    Would love to hear about the test.

Hollywood,
    What are you trying to achieve by lifting weights. If you are looking for speed and power you would build a program around Oly lifting. If you are looking for strength you would build a program around power lifting. For general physical conditoning I have never found anything that matches CrossFit.

I have several trainers posting their CrossFit workouts here:
    http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16
    Pit influenced CrossFit workouts are posted weekly here:
    http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=7

lotar

Have a look at Ross Enamiat,s stuff.
    http://www.rossboxing.com

His stuff is awesome, ENJOY 😈

Craig

hollywood

Re:

quote \”garddawg\:

La Revancha,
    Would love to hear about the test.

Hollywood,
    What are you trying to achieve by lifting weights. If you are looking for speed and power you would build a program around Oly lifting. If you are looking for strength you would build a program around power lifting. For general physical conditoning I have never found anything that matches CrossFit.

I have several trainers posting their CrossFit workouts here:
    http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16
    Pit influenced CrossFit workouts are posted weekly here:
    http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=7

i’m looking for power and speed. so what lifts would you suggest? also with my schedule when should i do them?

garddawg

Hollywood,
    In your first post you mentioned \”fighting specific lifting; higher reps and more full body movement lifts.\” You do want to use full body movement (multi joint) but higher reps will give you muscular endurance, not power or speed.
    Your program should be built around 5 or 6 movements:
    Back Squats
    Deadlifts
    Power Cleans or Power Snatch
    Shoulder or Push Press
    Pull ups or Chins

Sets should be between 3-5 per/weights heavy/ reps 3-5 per

I don’t know you so I cannot speak to your schedule, diet, or recoverability. The standard program I would put my athletes on might look something like this:

Monday:
    Back squat
    5 X 5
    Deadlift
    5 X 5
    Shoulder press
    5 X 5
    CrossFit Metabolic work (10-15 Min)
    Sport Specific Training

Tuesday
    Power Clean
    5 X 5
    Pull up
    5 X 5
    CrossFit MetCon Work (20 min)
    Sport Specific training

Wednesday
    Off

Thursday
    Back squat
    3 X 3 (Heavier than Monday)
    Deadlift
    Shoulder press
    CrossFit Metabolic work (10-15 Min)
    Sport Specific Training

Friday
    Power Clean (Heavier than Tuesday)
    3 X 3
    Pull up (Heavier than Tuesday)
    3 X 3
    CrossFit MetCon Work (20 min)
    Sport Specific training

Saturday
    Skill work
    Sport Specific training

jaeroo

Functional Free Weights/Resistance Workout:

Dumbells (1 set of 20, 3 sets of 15 reps, weight increases each set):
    -curls
    -military press
    -bench press (incline)
    -lying triceps presses
    -deadlifts
    -forearm curls

Other Exercises Using Alternate Eqpt.:
    -for lats, I do T-Bar rows
    -for my quads, I use a leg press machine
    -for calves, I use a donky press machine (sets of 30 reps)
    -for midsection, I use ab machine, medicine ball, or do hanging leg raises (2 sets of 50 reps)
    -for neck, I do 40 reps using front, back, and side bridges
    -inner and outer thigh workouts using machine (2 sets of 30-40 reps)
    -handgrip squeezes (2 sets of 100 reps)

Barbells (4 sets of 12 heavyweight reps= weight increases with each set, no time spent on isolation exercises; just simple lifts to build power more suited to grappling):
    -military press or upright rows
    -flat or decline bench press
    -barbell rows
    -squats
    -deadlifts

Bowflex Blaze Resistance Machine ( Use It Every 3rd Week=Got the 400 lbs. Power Rod Upgrade/4 sets of 15 reps/Resistance Increases Each Set):
    -bicep curls
    -lat pulldowns or lat rows
    -sitting leg curls
    -lying leg curls
    -incline bench press or pec flyes
    -upright rows or military press
    -assisted crunch (2 sets of 60 reps)
    -side crunches or trunk rotation (2 sets of 50 reps)
    -standing or lying tricep presses
    -forearm curls (front and back)
    -lower back bends (2 sets of 40 reps)
    -outer/inner thigh workout (2 sets of 30 reps)
    -ankle rotations (2 sets of 40 reps)

jaeroo

More Functional Strength Training

Calisthenics:
    Hindu squats=100 reps
    divebombers=50 reps
    neck bridges (front/back/sideways)=25 reps followed by holding it for 1 min.
    crunches (10 variations, 10 reps each)
    chinups followed by 3 variations of pullups=12 reps each
    stick rotations, inward and outward=1 min. each or 200 handgrip squeezes
    swim crawl=2 min.
    jump squats=100 reps

40-lb. Cementbag Workout (After Calisthenics/12 Exercises, 12 reps each):
    bridge press
    bearhug squats
    overhead tricep extensions
    squats
    upright rows
    behind the back squats
    bent over rows
    jump squats
    calf raises
    military press
    behind-the-neck press
    bicep curls

garddawg

Mark Rippetoe gave me a shirt a couple years ago with the saying
    \”God made Bowflex to keep the geeks out of the gym\”

Cracks me up every time I read it.

unstpabl1

Re:

[quote=\”garddawg\”]In your first post you mentioned \”fighting specific lifting; higher reps and more full body movement lifts.\” You do want to use full body movement (multi joint) but higher reps will give you muscular endurance, not power or speed.
    Your program should be built around 5 or 6 movements:
    Back Squats
    Deadlifts
    Power Cleans or Power Snatch
    Shoulder or Push Press
    Pull ups or Chins

5 X 5
    Shoulder Press

Garddawg, Why did you recommend full body excercise, then post an isolation excercise 😕 I’m with you on the full body stuff as its healing my body. The isolation crap put me outta balance and made my chiro rich 👿

garddawg

Good catch unstpable,
    But we call the standing Olympic press, shoulder press in our gym. Hardly an isolation movement. In most cases I prefer the push press or push jerk. But there is another error in the post I need to correct.

BTW-per your post in another thread. I have met Dino a few times. He has some good athletes.

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”garddawg\:

Good catch unstpable,
    But we call the standing Olympic press, shoulder press in our gym. Hardly an isolation movement. In most cases I prefer the push press or push jerk. But there is another error in the post I need to correct.

BTW-per your post in another thread. I have met Dino a few times. He has some good athletes.

Thanks you for clearing that up for me. I learned a lot of what I know about xfit from your site and would never hesitate to recommend it.

I forgot I mentioned Dino on this board. I have been training long distance with him for around 6 weeks via net vids and daily phone calls. I’m a reclaimation project and a test case 😆 Its been an amazing transformation so far. I came from a bodybuilding mentality. In the last couple years shoulder/neck pain. Everytime I started training again within a week, I’m out and need physical threrapy. This had been going on for years. Since I started training with Team Ruthless, I haven’t needed any kind of therapy other than ice….lottsa ice 😯 😆 My squats/thruster/etc which started with maybe a 3 inch range of motion are consistently butt to ankles. I’ll be 49 in a few weeks. I’m amazed by this training and have seen the lite.

The cool thing about having to do the workouts by myself is the kind of self directed warrior spirit that developes. I can’t say enough good things about Dino as he’s gone way above and beyond in helping me.
    Take Care
    Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: