Go Back   Krav Maga Worldwide™ Israeli Self Defense Forums > Krav Maga Worldwide Forums > General KM Related Topics

Notices

General KM Related Topics Post general comments or questions about Krav Maga here

Old 04-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Infosec

Default What to expect?

I made an intro thread, but not many people are in that section. Tomorrow is my first class and I am very excited. I have no background when it comes to training in any martial art, so I am wondering what I will encounter in my first session and what I should keep in mind while I am there to help me really take in this experience.

Thanks for the help!

-Dave
Infosec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
MDeaneUSCG
Force Training Division

Default Re: What to expect?

Just go in with an open mind, and a no quit attitude. Expect to be challenged physically, emotionally, and psychologically. Bring a bottle of water and a towel. Level 1 classes are largely conditioning and foundational work for the later levels. Conditioning doesn't just refer to physically though. A large part of Krav Maga is the mentality and attitude. If you are expecting a calm experience, you won't find it. Aggression (controlled of course) is encouraged, and you will be pushed out of your comfort zone at least once. This is done to heighten your stress levels, to give some preparation to the levels of stress you will experience if you are ever the victim of a violent attack
MDeaneUSCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Infosec

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDeaneUSCG View Post
Just go in with an open mind, and a no quit attitude. Expect to be challenged physically, emotionally, and psychologically. Bring a bottle of water and a towel. Level 1 classes are largely conditioning and foundational work for the later levels. Conditioning doesn't just refer to physically though. A large part of Krav Maga is the mentality and attitude. If you are expecting a calm experience, you won't find it. Aggression (controlled of course) is encouraged, and you will be pushed out of your comfort zone at least once.
Ok will do, thanks tons for the input. I love fighting and I have no problem with being aggressive. I will make sure to post tomorrow night what happened at my class!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Don
Force
Instructor
Force Training Division

In addition - hydrate tonight and tomorrow, warm up and stretch, stay in control of yourself, be a good partner, don't try to prove anything unless it's to yourself, be respectful/friendly, have fun...
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Shipwreck

+1 to everything Don said. Be prepared to be sore the next day too. Especially if they decide to do something like knee strikes.....
Shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
CelticKM

I agree what the other posters on here have said already from my limited experience. I don't mean to hijack this thread but the OP may also be interested in this; what do you guys normally eat\drink before going to class and how long before class is this?

Thanks
CelticKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
CJs Dad
Administrator

invest in a heating pad :)

But hey, thats just me.
CJs Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
MDeaneUSCG
Force Training Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
+1 to everything Don said. Be prepared to be sore the next day too. Especially if they decide to do something like knee strikes.....
Knee strikes won't be too bad, it's when they throw in the 360 defense on your first day that test your desire. My fore arms were black and blue for a week after that first class.
MDeaneUSCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Charlie1

Quote:
Knee strikes won't be too bad, it's when they throw in the 360 defense on your first day that test your desire. My fore arms were black and blue for a week after that first class.
One of my fore arms was so black and blue after doing 360 defense in one of the classes that on the way home I stopped and got ice to put on it for the drive home. I accidentally took a swing on the inside flat part right above the wrist and it popped all the veins up. It was a good learning experience though, and everything typically gets easier with time and practice.
Charlie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Shipwreck

Quote:
My first class was knee strikes, and we were training with a lot of advanced guys that day as well. Needless to say they didn't take it easy and it was definitely a wake up call. I don't care how thick the curve shields are, a full on barrage of knees to the chest hurt.

But yes, I can also remember the first day of 360 blocks. Definitely felt that one for a few days after....
Old 04-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
Don
Force
Instructor
Force Training Division

Quote:
lol you know it's bad when you almost crash while driving home because you can't grip the steering wheel properly (and if/when something like a calf cramps up in the middle of the night during stage 4 NREM sleep)...
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
Infosec

Well guys I have successfully completed my first class and damn.....I feel excellent, my muscles are a bit sore. We mostly worked on striking tombstones with our partner and then transitioned to defending yourself from a choke from behind. Everything went very smooth and the final drill incorporated groundwork with choking defense to striking. All in all I'm very sore, but this is something I see myself doing for quite awhile. I would also love to thank all of you for the input. It made the class go very smooth and having a friend there with me also helped a lot!
Old 04-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
oglenewinkel
Force Training Division

Before class: I would not recommend eating 2 hours before class. Take a carb bar or peanuts. Hydrate prior to class, but not to much water.

During class: Electrolyte sports drink, carb bar or a little chex or trail mix

for after class: A big glass of chocolate milk some Midol (yes guys, I said Midol) and some horse liniment for the sore muscles.

Day after: If this is your first class try to move the day after, don't lay around, light stretching, stay hydrated.

Listen to your body, especially if your over your mid-30s. It takes awhile for your body to adjust to this type of training. So ease into it. You have discovered Krav Maga and will most likely want to go to class the next day, but take it slow you have the rest of your life.

Train hard and be safe.
oglenewinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #14
CelticKM

Just the kind of info I needed Oglenewinkel especially since I'm not a person who already goes to the gym often!

Thanks for sharing
CelticKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #15
Shipwreck

Chocolate milk is a life saver. The wife and I thought it was strange but it instantly cooled our bodies and relaxed us. Perfect cure for after class!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
brewmasher

I found a couple of pints of beer after the workout helps with the soreness the next day. I prefer unfiltered beer that is high in B vitamins.
brewmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #17
KevinMack

Milk is probably the worst thing you could drink after working out hard. Dairy exacerbates inflammation if you have any injuries or strained anything the pain will be worse. I have chronic injuries some of which I cant do anything about and I walked around on a daily basis with some chronic pain stemming from inflammation(tendonitis,etc). I was never big on dairy but all that pain went away when I gave up dairy totally.
Also...this isnt the most technical explanation but due to acidity levels in your body...in order for your body to metabolize anilmal protein it secrets calcium which is why the highest rates of osteoporosis are in countries with high dairy.meat ingestion. After a hard workout that places stress on your joints and bones milk is just a bad idea in general.
KevinMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #18
TacticalTimmy

"It's so damn hot out, milk was a bad choice!"
TacticalTimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #19
oglenewinkel
Force Training Division

There is tons of recent research which points to milk being a great post workout drink. I listed only one from last year which was published by the University of Texas-Austin.

http://www.utexas.edu/news/2011/06/22/milk_studies/

Kevin you almost sound like your Lactose intolerant or at least Lactose sensitive, remember a decent percentage of the general population is lactose sensitive.
oglenewinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #20
Paco

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmasher View Post
I found a couple of pints of beer after the workout helps with the soreness the next day. I prefer unfiltered beer that is high in B vitamins.
I found that after a good class if I drink anything with alcohol I get buzzed faster, since anything taken in is rushed out to the body quickly. Or it could be I was just too sore to lower the bottle .

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #21
KMyoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMack View Post
Milk is probably the worst thing you could drink after working out hard. Dairy exacerbates inflammation if you have any injuries or strained anything the pain will be worse. I have chronic injuries some of which I cant do anything about and I walked around on a daily basis with some chronic pain stemming from inflammation(tendonitis,etc). I was never big on dairy but all that pain went away when I gave up dairy totally.
Also...this isnt the most technical explanation but due to acidity levels in your body...in order for your body to metabolize anilmal protein it secrets calcium which is why the highest rates of osteoporosis are in countries with high dairy.meat ingestion. After a hard workout that places stress on your joints and bones milk is just a bad idea in general.

That's very interesting. I heard something about chocolate milk being good post workout but I usually just drink a protein shake and coconut water during training. I guess I'll stick to what I've been using.
"Always avoid, escape, talk down, loop hole if you can, don't be physical unless you really have to be physical, because it really isn't the answer. If you have to be physical, be first and be ferocious. Take them off the planet. But if you can avoid it than you must."
- Geoff Thompson
KMyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote