Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

So, how should you fight someone, who is standing very much sideways? In that position, the side kick seems to be pretty much all he has. If you know he will throw it, couldn’t you defend easily, scoop his kicking leg to the side, step in and get to the back, kicking or punching from there (in theory at least 😉 ) ? Also, could you use a stomping side kick to his lower leg, so he can’t lift it, and then step in with a punch?

g-v

Re:

quote \”CLFMak\:

I view the side kick like the follow through on a thai roundhouse kick that spins you around.

Is that like a hook or heel kick? What’s the striking tool with that? The way I see it, a side kick is a thrusting kick, really not that dissimilar to a rear kick except for a difference in stance of the standing leg.

From what I saw on those clips, Clyde has a few tools besides his kick, which, yes, looks pretty menacing. He’s very fast. He doesn’t hesitate. And most importantly, he reads his opponent very well (even though that one dude was telegraphing his intentions a bit). In that first clip, he connected with the other guy’s head at various stages of movement, when he was coming in for a takedown, a transition when he decided not to commit to it, and when he was coming up, trying to avoid another punch. Those were clean, man…precise.

I wouldn’t know how to deal with that except to try to weave punches in there somehow, I guess. Maybe try to capture his leg and throw a field goal to the crotch. or to the support leg like Giant sayz. He’d still kick my ass at this point of my training. :mrgreen:

clfmak

My comment about the side kick being like the thai roundhouse doesn’t mean structurally- more theoretically- both have weaknesses exposed for a very brief period of time when your opponent isn’t generally in range to capitalize on it.
    In theory Clyde’s kick would be easy to defend, and in fact I tried to fake an attack to draw the kick up so I could redirect it. The thing was, he was advanced to the piont where he wouldn’t bite on anything that wasn’t a real attack, and if it was real you were eating a kick. Other tools he could throw from that stance were the lead backfist and slap to the head. Everyone could land leg kicks on him, but he just sort of laughed at them.

g-v

Re:

True, any attack you mount opens you to a counter-attack.

I think Clyde’s stance may be his one weakness…like a front kick to his outside knee, since his stance is so bladed, virtually perpendicular to his opponent.

In that Clyde vs. Chris clip, he took a kick to the lead leg which he clearly felt, pulling it back.

anonymous

Unfortunately, I couldn’t see the video, so I’m trying to imagine it all. Please bear with me.

It does sound as though a type of stomping kick to the knee might work. It would hurt if it hits and if he tries to counter with the side kick, the knee kick would stop it. Then maybe, if you are kicking with your right, you could drop your foot next to his leg (instead of pulling it back into a right-handed stance), getting you closer to him and maybe enabling you to do a takedown or other type of attack from there (or maybe even get to his back)? As I have said, in theory… 8)

Did you try to wait until HE threw an attack, then counter yourself? Or would he just wait for you to attack?

clfmak

Stomping someone’s knee isn’t cool during friendly sparring. Interestingly enough, if you try to stomp out someone’s knee like that, a stomp to the knee is a good counter- you pick up your leg to avoid the attack, then stomp down as they plant their foot forward.
    He did not throw attacks. He would just wait. To push the action he might step in and slap at you, but thats about it.

unstpabl1

I haven’t watched all the vids, so i may accidentally trip on myself. T ake what I say with that grain of salt. Clyde is a very high ranked kenpoist, taught by one of Parkers proteges. I really respect the quality of students that this lineage produces. They just move well is the only way to describe it. I visited some other top schools in my area that weren’t part of the LTKKA aqnd was amazed at the differences. Knee stomps and buckles are an art form in American Kenpo and as such are very much a part of Clydes arsenal. These are friendly exchanges basically for the purpose of learning. SO the rakes and gouges of kenpo aren’t included 😥 I don’t pretend to know Clyde,met him a few times. What I do know is its rare for a 7th degree black belt to take his system out and test drive it with other styles. What it seems like he’s doing is proving that the system is viable. The other thing I know is that he spars to the other persons level which is part of the counter puncher thing. At the same time he’s learning. you see a lot of guys with egos trying to embarass guys with less expirience. I don’t get that from him. In fact I remember A post awhile back on kenponet, where he called an instructor on that for pummeling a yellow belt in sparing and posting it. I don’t think Clyde walks on water, but he seems like a good guy, whos passionate about kenpo and extremely loyal to his instructor, whos also willing to put his ass out there.

clfmak

I think putting it out there is something really lacking these days. Clyde has gotten some crap for his hands down stance, but ultimately he puts it on the line while lots of thers don’t. I’ve gotten some crap for my sparring vids, but positive or negative it is what it is.
    I wouldn’t say that the eye rakes and such aren’t in the sparring; they are just different. When you can land a slap to the face, you can easily modify it into a rake, just like if you can land a punch to the face you can change your fist to an eye strike, or change your inside leg kick to a groin kick. That reminds me that Clyde countered one of my kicks with a light kick to the groin from underneath.

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”CLFMak\:

I think putting it out there is something really lacking these days. Clyde has gotten some crap for his hands down stance, but ultimately he puts it on the line while lots of thers don’t. I’ve gotten some crap for my sparring vids, but positive or negative it is what it is.
    I wouldn’t say that the eye rakes and such aren’t in the sparring; they are just different. When you can land a slap to the face, you can easily modify it into a rake, just like if you can land a punch to the face you can change your fist to an eye strike, or change your inside leg kick to a groin kick. That reminds me that Clyde countered one of my kicks with a light kick to the groin from underneath.

I think that putting it out there is actually becoming more common than in the past. People will call you on it. One of the positives of MMA. Its becoming more of a show me , don’t tell me type attitude. Of course everyones a critic. 🙄

g-v

Re:

quote \”CLFMak\:

Stomping someone’s knee isn’t cool during friendly sparring.

Naw, not a real stomp. Ya know, just a tap. It’s sparring after all, not a streetfight.

Hey dude, big big props for the vid of yourself. I merely offered some constructive criticism, dig? You looked great on there.

anonymous

Yeah, let’s keep the knee stomp friendly. Or maybe use a stomp to the thigh instead. I think we used to do that side kick/knee stomp counter in KM, but we don’t practice it much, but it’s on some belt test I believe.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: