Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics As a student which do you prefer –

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I thought I would do a Q/A that might be interesting.
    (cut/paste the Q&A and post your answers) Feel free to add to them.

Q: Longer cardio intensive warm ups or short and straight into drills

A:

Q: Lots of pad based drills (punch/knee/kick combos)

A:

Q: Unique ìgame styleî drills IE shoulder tag

A:

Q: Psycho drills like running the gauntlet or man in the middle (ring of fire)

A:

Q: 2 on 1 drills aka multiple attackers

A:

Q: Real life scenario drills (like bank robbery or bar room brawl)

A:

Q: Longer full gear sparring at end of class

A:

Q: More curriculum/technique review

A:

Additional Comments:

mara-jade

Re: As a student which do you prefer ñ

A: Definitely rather have short warm ups get straight into drills. I usually warm up before class myself

A: I’ve done these before and I find them babies really helpful. I dunno about doing them an entire KM class. K.O. cardio classes can have these drills as well.

A: Ooh, would this be like the one John showed us at the seminar regarding keeping your balance? Both people in passive stance and you try to throw the other off balance only either hand slapping 1)like patty cake or 2) slapping hands down. The other was having 1 person do a punch SUPER slow and the other figures out which punch it is.

A: I could go for either. I still feel ‘new’ at all this so it’s hard for me to choose one.

A: Oh, I could always use practice on that. One chokes, one with a pad and you’re giving knee strikes, another one for front kicks, etc

A: Apply what you’ve learned – most definitely

A: Not sure about this one

A: Before I could do the other stuff (scenarios, etc), I’d have to get the technique down first, so I’m all for thatthumbsup.

giant-killer

Q: Unique “game style” drills IE shoulder tag

A: These can help improve speed and coordination and are great warm-up drills.

A: These are great, too, as they mimick situations one might actually encounter in the street (moving through a hostile crowd, multiple attackers)

A: Yes, those are very important. It would be good also to take it slow sometimes, maybe position three students in the middle, move them around, then discuss how the defender would act most appropriately in that given situation. Should he move to the right? The left? So, discuss strategy, then let students spar using what they have just learned. Also practice to focus on one target, while seeing the other with peripheral vision. Kicking or punching the second attacker while looking at the first attacker.

Then, in more advanced levels, weapons could be added to the scenario. One attacker with a knife, the other with a stick. Or both have sticks, or both knives. Or the defender has a weapon, too (maybe he carries a knife, or picks up a brick or stick from the ground). All kinds of different scenarios.

A: Yes, YES, YEEEEEESSSS!!!!!! These drills are very important and, unfortunately, we don’t do a lot of them. As I’ve mentioned in anotehr thread, we could also use the patio at the NTC for obstacle courses, have one student walk a certain route, then he is attacked along the way, in various ways. One could also have some decoys, guys who walk up and just ask for the time or so (so DON’T hit them). Multiple attackers and third party defenses could also be added, depending on level of the students.

That patio is great, we’ve got hidden corners, confined areas, restaurant setting with tables and chairs, benches that can be moved, ramps, stairs and more. It’s like a natural obstacle course and we should use it more often.

A: Not really necessary, as we have plenty of fighting classes where people can spar. But some sparring is fine. If the sparring is done in KM class, it may be interesting to make it more street-like, in other words add multiple attacker drills, as well as weapon vs weapons sparring (knife vs stick, stick vs knife, or both have same type of weapon). Or two guys spar and one draws a knife in the middle of the fight, then the other has to do a KM defense and continue from there. Just fun stuff to spice it up. One could also think about adding a special street-fighting class where those types of things will be taught.

A: Yes, that’s definitely necessary. There are several dozen KM techniques and each one would require a few thousand repetitions in order for them to become second nature to the practitioner. Right now, KM techniques are only taught in KM class, so those classes should devote enough time for students to practice these things. Also, its okay to go slow sometimes. To initially learn a move, one can’t go full speed right away.

One could even consider adding special KM weapons or SD classes, that will incorporate only SD training for an hour. Maybe they could be separated into different levels, simple SD, weapons, weapons vs weapons. One could allow lower level students to attend these classes as well. This may attract those, who are mostly interested in SD, not just in getting a good workout.

Also, we need more advanced classes. Right now there are only 5 LV and above classes at the NTC and SO combined per week (out of about 135) and only one pure LV5. Weapons defenses are an integral part of the system, so it would be important to have enough classes where they could be practiced.

Additional Comments:

More Shocknife and watching Brent get tasered.

Okay, that wasn’t nearly as detailed and eloquent as what I wrote the first time, but I hope it’ll do. This better go through now.

Sean, thanks for the survey, great idea and it’s good to be able to discuss these things on here! thumbsup

giant-killer

Yes!! The advanced reply did it!! The curse has been broken!

vwr32

I’ll try to be brief.

A: Shorter cardio, more drill/technique intensive. Because of work, some students can only make weekend classes (i used to be one of them, and will again eventually). Cardio is easier to handle on my own time outside of class.

But I also think it is level dependent. I think it’s best to keep level one a real butt kicker because the goal for level one is more about establishing the necessity of being in shape and learning how to strike. Striking improves striking, easy to cover both bases by doing lots of strikes and building cardio at same time.

Level two and on, the student should recognize the need for his/her cardio requirements and train outside of class on their own. It’s like having the right prerequisites for college classes. I could sign up for any class, but it shouldn’t be the instructor’s responsibility to cover what I should already know at that point. A slight warmup to loosen up is mandatory, but the cardio portion of class should come from increasingly difficult drills. Not jumping jacks, situps, and pushups. I’m not opposed to incorporating exercises into drills as deterrents, such as doing pushups if your shoulder gets touched during shoulder tag.

A: I like them, but think groundwork and avoiding takedowns don’t get the attention they deserve.

A: Good for warming up. Good for practice/intro to sparring.

A: Fun, but I’d rather not.

A: How about some 2 on 1 sparring full gear?

A: No.

A: Yes.

A: This should be automatic if the student is attending class shouldn’t it? Maybe I’m missing the point of the question.

Additional Comments: So much of the above depends on who you have to train with as well. I think sometimes instructors are hesitant to address problem students for fear of running off business. I’m game for any changes the instructor wants to try, but when my training parter goes off on some technique tangent because he wants to one-up me… i think it sets the stage for potential injury. There’s two people training, and only one is following the rules of the drill we’re trying to perfect. Muscle memory first to learn the drill, save the sneaky ninja attacks for sparring when i can legally do my own sneaky ninja attacks and we’re both padded.

***DISCLAIMER***
    Keep in mind this is just my 2 cents. I’ve got strict and strong opinions about my workout/training. If you have another way you like to do things that differs from mine and works for you, I’m not knocking it… Just stating how I feel based on my training. Then again… everyone here has pretty thick skin so I doubt I need this disclaimer thumbsup

quote CJs Dad:

A: Warm up is just that… Warm up. The point is to loosen up the muscles and get the blood flowing to avoid injury and get that initial kick start. Longer cardio warm ups that go past that point will end up tiring some people out so they can’t perform as well in the actual class and will just waste everyone elses time (You need 20 minutes to actualy build cardiovascular strength/endurance). If people want to work on there cardio, it should be in a cardio class or on their own.

A: Damn straight. Allows you to use full contact while still having the visual target area of a sparring partner. Also toughens up the pad holder (Why do I always get the partner that can punch through a brick wall?!?!)

A: Heh… Few and far between. It’s nice to mix things up a bit and they do help tighten up your technique, but I really prefer the direct approach.

A: See above

A: Train as you fight. Rarely have I gotten into it on the street and had to only deal with one guy.

A: Yes please. One of the reasons I love Kelly’s class is that occasionaly she’ll take us out the back door at NTC and have us work on stuff in that back alley (defense against choke over a railing at an incline… adds a different factor when you can’t move your feet!!! also fun to bounce your attacker’s head off the railing!)

A: I’m in level one… but with my intro fight class, the sparring gives me better training than anything else. It’s easy to have good form when you don’t need to worry about someone cracking you in the nose and you don’t need to get around someones defenses.

A: If I were an instructor, I would guage this off of the class. If people are having issues, I’d stop and break the technique down to the lowest common denominator. Sometimes though, you get classes where everyone grasps the concept and in this case it would be overkill.

Additional Comments: I told you guys… My B-day is coming up next week and still no one has offerd to buy me a grappling dummy. :thunbsdown:

nd6171

A: Short cardio, straight into drills

A:

A:

A:

A:yes

A: Yes Yes

A:

A: Yes

Additional Comments:

GK… Didn’t read your post before I did mine… You brought up a lot of good points that might make me think of changing my answers. You should be proud… I’m a stubborn bastard!

jay99

A: I am not sure I can pick one or the other. How I might prefer to warm up largely depends on what follows in the class. For example, if we are drilling basic choke defenses I might want a longer warm up so I still get in a nice workout from the class. On the the other hand if it is going to be intensity drills I would rather save my self a little bit on warm ups. What it ultimately comes down to for me in any class is balance. I don’t always want to lose time on the things I need to be taught because I am doing something I can kind of manage on my like cardio. But again, if the drills or going to be some what on the lighter side than I always appreciate still getting in the workout.

A: Always fun! Personally, I never tire of them. Well, to be honest I tire of thai pads a little. They are just plain awkward to hold. But that is not my point here. With the pad drills because I feel like I get an opportunity to work on my technique, speed and power and it gets even more productive when the pad holder can add in some attacks like 360’s. If I had to point out a slight limitation with doing a ton of pad drills it would be that a pad is a much easier target to hit than a person. So to much pad work I would think runs a risk of creating a bit of a false sense of security.

A: I am a fan… One thing I have always noticed is that you see people smiling and laughing a little more during the “game style” warm ups. People still take the movement seriously but you can not help but have some fun along the way. I think they are actually kind of bonding for a class if that makes sense.

A: As a student of Sean’s classes my official response is – I love all psycho drills Sean makes me go through and am thankful each and every day for being able to be a part of them. Unofficially – again, this is one of those things that seems to have some bonding power to it. To do them every day might be a bit much but there is a cool feeling that comes along with someone talking to you before a class saying – Dude, did you have to do that Gauntlet thing in intro fight… Sean is a crazy f**ker!

A: Hell… why not! It happens in real life, right….

A: This, at least for me, is one of those things that really separates Krav from the rest. The ability to train outside the box..or sometimes outside the room. I can safely say that drills like this along my Krav path have been a great asset in helping to train my mind to be ready outside the comfort of a training room as well as in.

A: Depends on I am surrounded by to be perfectly honest…. some people just don’t get how to control themselves. But I think it is a good idea to mix it in. Yes we have fight classes but some people are to nervous to take them. Maybe because Sean has not come up with warm inviting names for his psycho drills. I do think everyone should get a taste of it though for no greater reason than the huge difference between facing off against a person rather than a pad.

A: yes yes yes… never can have enough…

ali

Longer cardio intensive warm ups or short and straight into drills

A: Short and straight into drills, as long as the drills themselves are cardio-intensive. I like to hit things.

A: Oh yes. Most definitely. I like to hit things (see above)

A: I am not a big fan of shoulder tag. It’s ok, but it’s not anything I really enjoy doing.

A: The more psycho the drill, the more I like it. You can’t make it too psycho for me.

A: I love those. Love, love those.

A: Hmmm.. I haven’t done any real life scenario drills, but I think that could be fun, too.

A: I love sparring. It’s one of my favorite things, hands down. So longer full gear sparring? I am all in.

A: I would say the curriculum/technique review is about right.

Additional Comments:

Describe your gauntlet/ring of fire drills! They sound great.

raneman

quote CJs Dad:

[COLOR=#000000]A: SHort cardio and straight into drills. It is understandable to have a challenging warm-up so you learn to do the drills when you are tired to encourage muscle memory though.

[COLOR=#000000]A: Pad drills are great so you get to follow through on attacks and can be challenging for cardio also

[COLOR=#000000]A: Games are good also for team building and to change the tempo. They also make you work without thinking you are working.

[COLOR=#000000]A: Haven’t done any psycho drills yet but sound like a fun challenge

[COLOR=#000000]A: Great for confidence, awareness, planning, and stress. Definately would like to do more of this

[COLOR=#000000]A: Emphasis the real what ifs and help you think and prepare to use the training under diferent conditions..increases preparedness and confidence. Good stuff

[COLOR=#000000]A: Haven’t done any of this yet but hope to soon. Getting used to being hit and trying to get through defenses to work technique is a winner

[COLOR=#000000]A: This is the meat and potatoes..fill up the plate 🙂

Additional Comments:

Mix it up and don’t always keep it comfortable(i.e same size attacker, moving opponent, one arm – add a disadvantage, opposite side only, etc).

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Jay99:

IQ: Psycho drills like running the gauntlet or man in the middle (ring of fire)

A: As a student of Sean’s classes my official response is – I love all psycho drills Sean makes me go through and am thankful each and every day for being able to be a part of them. Unofficially – again, this is one of those things that seems to have some bonding power to it. To do them every day might be a bit much but there is a cool feeling that comes along with someone talking to you before a class saying – Dude, did you have to do that Gauntlet thing in intro fight… Sean is a crazy f**ker!

Yes we have fight classes but some people are to nervous to take them. Maybe because Sean has not come up with warm inviting names for his psycho drills. I do think everyone should get a taste of it though for no greater reason than the huge difference between facing off against a person rather than a pad.

Thanks man I appreciate the honesty, theres nothing cooler then seeing students sitting around in the lounge after class in disbelief they just survived your class.

old-grappler

A: Short and straight into drills….I should show up in time to get myself somewhat stretched and warm anyhow.

A: I’m brand new to Krav, so I’m doing a ton of this right now….in learning techniques and combinations…I love it. It’s a great workout, and I can blast the knees and elbows…that’s one of the reasons I’m here.

A: eh…..I guess I don’t see a need. I’m in a very small class so team building isn’t really necessary.

A: Not familiar with these specifically, but if it helps build focus and intensity then I’m good with it.

A: I can hardly wait unitl I’m at a level where this makes sense for me….sounds like a blast.

A: same thing….sounds awesome….another reason I’m here, the ability to apply Krav to real life.

A: Really looking forward to this….like I said, I’m brand new so I’m not ready to be sparring yet…on the other hand, I’ll step in tonight, and see how I do….I’m never one to back down from a challenge.

A: Obviously this is crucial for me at this level…I think it’s really important to also do some sort of “live” drill to help bring it all together.

Additional Comments:

giant-killer

Hey, I love this discussion. Just what I’ve always been dreaming of! ;):

So, downforlife, which of your answers would you change? I’m jealous of the class you described with Kelly, doing chokes over a railing. Too bad I missed that one. That’s just what I’m talking about, though. You’re not always going to be standing somewhere in your neutral stance, arms next to your body. You may be sitting, lying down, there may be obstacles in the way and the technique may have to slightly change because of it. So that patio is so awesome, we’ve got tons of scenario things we could do there, from the railing thing, to a restaurant setting, ATM (in that little corner there, we could pretend there’s an ATM). Also, those wooden benches can be moved, so one can sit down there and have attackers come up with different attacks from all angles (gun while you are sitting down, or from behind the bench, how would you adjust). Then we’ve got a stairwell by the garage and the garage itself with tons of scary hidden corners. Even carjacking scenarios. Tons of fun stuff to play with. Oh, yeah, and if we really got creative, we could have some students on the upper level patio throw wet towels down to distract the students fighting below (like in a riot, or an angry neighbor throwing stuff). Or even water guns. Man, the possibilities are endless! :woohoo:

giant-killer

Oh and by the way, my birthday is on Saturday and I haven’t yet received my grappling dummy either. What happened? Is Fedex on strike or something? :Unsure:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: