Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics As a student which do you prefer –

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    kmman

Re: As a student which do you prefer ñ

Shorter Cardio
    Pad Drill, mainly punching
    Like Game Style Drills, very effective
    Psych drills effective
    Multiple attackers at higher levels–lose technique if too early
    Real life scenerios? Occasionally
    Sparring—should have optional classes seperate
    Live Drills after few levels as we must be conditioned.

quote Giant Killer:

Hey, I love this discussion. Just what I’ve always been dreaming of! ;):

So, downforlife, which of your answers would you change? I’m jealous of the class you described with Kelly, doing chokes over a railing. Too bad I missed that one. That’s just what I’m talking about, though. You’re not always going to be standing somewhere in your neutral stance, arms next to your body. You may be sitting, lying down, there may be obstacles in the way and the technique may have to slightly change because of it. So that patio is so awesome, we’ve got tons of scenario things we could do there, from the railing thing, to a restaurant setting, ATM (in that little corner there, we could pretend there’s an ATM). Also, those wooden benches can be moved, so one can sit down there and have attackers come up with different attacks from all angles (gun while you are sitting down, or from behind the bench, how would you adjust). Then we’ve got a stairwell by the garage and the garage itself with tons of scary hidden corners. Even carjacking scenarios. Tons of fun stuff to play with. Oh, yeah, and if we really got creative, we could have some students on the upper level patio throw wet towels down to distract the students fighting below (like in a riot, or an angry neighbor throwing stuff). Or even water guns. Man, the possibilities are endless! :woohoo:

I was mostly refering to the pad based drills. You’re right… they do tend to get a bit repetitive… Especialy if you take more than one class a day! It’s definately good to be able to go all out while having the visual cue of your parter standing there Im not fully conceding… Just saying I can see both sides thumbsup

Glad to see that other people are as enthusiastic about training outside in a realistic environment as I am. I really like the idea of car jacking scenerios. Thinking of how limited I am in a car (confined space, seat belt, seated position, defending from the side), when I brainstorm the scenerio, I typicly resort more to my evasive driving training than my fighting. I’d like to have the option!!!

quote Giant Killer:

Oh and by the way, my birthday is on Saturday and I haven’t yet received my grappling dummy either. What happened? Is Fedex on strike or something? :Unsure:

I guess people who are nice and considerate enough to hook us up for our birthdays are on strike:dunno:. I can’t complain too much… My mom is hooking me up with one of the pricey seats for Junior’s fight on Saturday. Hopefuly he still has one of the good tickets left when I go to class tonight!

J-

giant-killer

Yeah, I’d like to go, but maybe I’ll just have a private celebration thing on Saturday (meaning I get drunk on my own until I pass out and start wandering the city in search of easy guys who later turn out to be girls and I can start peeing all over them, you know, just anything to finally add to the drunk story thread) ;):

We should get together on that grappling dummy thing, though. Lean on them, ’til they get one. Or at least get another Bob, they used to have one years ago and then he disappeared (he may be on the run with yours).

leam

Q: Longer cardio intensive warm ups or short and straight into drills

A: Shorter Cardio. Otherwise you’re excluding a lot of people from learning Krav that really need it. Maybe longer cardio classes for instructors and Level 3+. If you wear out people they get sloppy, don’t learn as much, and risk hurting each other because of lack of control.

Q: Lots of pad based drills (punch/knee/kick combos)

A: Yup, like contact and the resistance helps show what parts of me are off balance, etc.

Q: Unique ìgame styleî drills IE shoulder tag

A: As a few minutes of transition in a level 1 class. New folks are still learning to move their body so things like this help.

Q: Psycho drills like running the gauntlet or man in the middle (ring of fire)

A: Occasional for beginners, more often for higher ranks.

Q: 2 on 1 drills aka multiple attackers

A: Occasional for beginners.

Q: Real life scenario drills (like bank robbery or bar room brawl)

A: We used to have a kids class and on Saturdays we’d meet in our play clothes and train in the environment. Climbing hills, moving on fences, walking quietly. Just different stuff. Kids loved it.

Q: Longer full gear sparring at end of class

A: Level 2+. Sparring newbies can be dangerous!

Q: More curriculum/technique review

A: Definately!

Additional Comments:

The Level 1 and 2 techniques aren’t really that complex and there’s no reason someone can’t learn all of them in a couple months if the class is structured well. It’s the *perform* part that takes time. There’s something about the body that just takes time to let things soak in. So structure the class to get everyone warmed up, do something covered last week at a decent pace. Learn some new things and do them at slow, moderate, and faster speed. Near the end of class work on combinations or groups of actions that make the students maintain balance over several different actions, and then end class with some more cardio.

For Level 2 classes, work the new skills in with some activity going so the students get cardio well. Maybe the first 1/4 of class is cardio, the second 1/4 is active but not quite cardio, the 3rd 1/4 is sparring or something highly active, and th elast is slowly learning the next material.

Leam

vwr32

long time no see leam, hows the back?

quote Giant Killer:

Yeah, I’d like to go, but maybe I’ll just have a private celebration thing on Saturday (meaning I get drunk on my own until I pass out and start wandering the city in search of easy guys who later turn out to be girls and I can start peeing all over them, you know, just anything to finally add to the drunk story thread) ;):

We should get together on that grappling dummy thing, though. Lean on them, ’til they get one. Or at least get another Bob, they used to have one years ago and then he disappeared (he may be on the run with yours).

I just bought the ticket.:woohoo:Though I think it would be hillarious to watch, I think I’m actualy going to use it rather than follow you around while you pee on easy manly women. I might hire a private investigator to tape the entire thing though so we have interesting video to post on the board to compliment your story (See Sean? Some of us are considerate enough to get video documentation of these sorts of things).

Either way… Have a happy and safe birthday! Now I’m going to go back to being sore… hahaha.

J-

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote downforlife76:

(See Sean? Some of us are considerate enough to get video documentation of these sorts of things).

You can not capture it on video its urban myth

On a serious note I did it tonight as a combatant just to mess with La Rev during his class. Afterwards Jarret W comes over to where I’m sitting getting my gear together and says “I saw you pull off this jumping spinning thing what was that it was amazing” and right on cue Christian shouts Jump Spinning Flying Axe Kick FTMFW!

leam

quote vwr32:

long time no see leam, hows the back?

Twinges occasionally because I’m doing long drives and am back at a desk. However, class has been good and I’ve been sore everywhere on my body *except* the back. 🙂

Leam

kmky

A: I prefer short and into the drills, but I need more cardio :(:

A: Yes. Technique, Technique, Technique

A:

A: Yes, controlled aggression is an important thing to learn

A: Yes. Obviously changing the drill based on the level of the student

A: Yes

A: I would rather focus on combatives and less on sparring (ie stand in the middle, eyes closed and defend the attack)

A: Yes

Additional Comments:

A: I don’t want longer cardio but warm up is absolutely necessary. According to the ACSM warm up is the most important thing you can do to avoid injury.

A: I like these, they provide opportunities to work on technique and (the way our instructor does them) they turn out to be INTENSE bursts of cardio (max hr, anaerobic zone stuff).

A: We do this to warm up often. I really like it. It’s a good starter and it does remind me to work on my footwork (I have a bad habit of walking straight in like frankenstein).

A: These are great. After the first two or three attacks when my technique goes to hell I know what I need to work on. Also, they do a lot to promote the “never quit” attitude (if you screw up, keep going).

A: We do a lot of these in our classes. They also have a way of turning into intense cardio. I think they are effective especially in teaching how to transition.

A: We haven’t done a ton of these so I can’t comment. Our school/class is pretty new but I know we’re looking forward to them.

A: We don’t do full gear sparring in our regular classes and I like it that way. I like class time for technique with the instructor available to give feedback and demonstration on the spot. I think sparring should be a separate thing.

A: Isn’t that the point of all the pad drills and stuff? We usually learn a little something new review how it can be incorporated in to the stuff we already know and then do drills where we try to link it all together.

Additional Comments:
    Kind of a weird survey. Other than the sparring thing we do almost all of these things in our classes and in a pretty proportional way. What are your classes like?

giant-killer

So, Sean, what were you trying to hit with your JFAK in sparring? Did you jump high enough to get the collar bone?

I don’t think I’ll be getting video of my drunk episode. But maybe the guy/girl will? :(:

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Giant Killer:

So, Sean, what were you trying to hit with your JFAK in sparring? Did you jump high enough to get the collar bone?

Wasnít sparing we were doing blind mans bluff drill and attacker did bearhug from the rear arms caught. After the initial first knee he was bent at a 45 so I came down gently with my heel on the base of his neck so all the force/weight lands right behind their head. Just think of doing a regular axe kick in that situation then add the jumping/spinning disco lights. Its like dropping a #7 elbow.

*sorry about the threadjack carry on~

giant-killer

I know this one guy (friend of a friend) who once killed another guy in self defense with a non-spinning axe kick to the back of the head. So those can be dangerous.

trish

A: I’m good with either one. I love the longer cardio warm ups, but sometimes it’s great to just jump into drills especially on Mondays.

A: Love the pad based drills. Lots of fun.

A: Not so much a fan of these drills

A: This is a great type of exercise once in a while, but definately not all the time.

A: Not so much a fan of these drills either, but that’s mostly because I’m not comfortable doing them. It’s a good exercise especially for the guys who are more likely than us girls to be in a fight that involves more than one attacker.

A: These are great drills! The bank robbery drill is awesome and really helps you get an idea of the chaos of a real life situation.

A: Can’t comment on this one yet, but hope to have the experience soon.

A: Having a review class similar to a pre-test review once in a while is a great idea and would really help some with remembering the basic techniques.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Trish you did excellent during the bank robbery drill, you always knew where the instructors were on the mat (all 3 of us) and remained focused through the chaos.

And welcome to the forums~

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: