Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    walker

What is everyones MA backround before Krav, styles and rank? And what were your thoughts when you switched.

kmtakinkm

Green belt in TKD and boxing in college intramurals.

I had to un-learn some of both….

siayn

Level 65 monk in Everquest. I decided to get off my butt, loose some weight, and learn how to really fight.

dv8njoe

re:

None, except for some street fights and L.I.N.E. training from the Marine Corps, ehich by the way I thought was kind of a joke. 😀

2nd level Black belt in Chinese Boxing before going into KM.

guerriere

My background was growing up with brothers. My reaction in KM in general was \”Whoa! Finally a sport I can do!!!\” and to grappling \”Dang! I wish I knew this way back when!\” But girls weren’t supposed to wrestle.

godzilla

background

bb tkd, 3 years chin na… krav rules!

There is a tkd guy in school now that seems a bit awkward. Krav trains you to be a fighter… tkd seems to train you to learn moves rather than learn to fight.

Peace.

jaeroo

Never took Krav although considering in the future once I get shore duty. I’ve done high school wrestling, muay thai, jkd, fma, japanese jujitsu, and some combatives (mainly seminars from hocks cqc). I also have a military law enforcement/security background.

anonymous

I did some Judo as a kid. I would have loved to do Karate, but my mother thought that that might be too brutal for a child so I never did (I was about nine).

Then, about eight years ago, I went to a TKD place for about a month. Weird place, a mix of heavyset old ladies and six-year-old kids, many of which had black belts. After that, I went to another Karate place, which was much more professional. I was there for another month. I would have continued, but the owner wanted me to pay a full year in advance and I didn’t have that kind of money.

Good thing, though, because just a few weeks later, while I was still thinking what to do about the Karate place, I read an article in the LA Times about the new (yes, new!) Krav Maga National Training Center in West LA. It sounded great, so I went to check it out and the first thing I saw was a bunch of people doing shotgun drills! I joined the same day and the rest is history….

leftie79

I started in TKD, did that for about a year and a half. About a year or so into it, Krav was introduced so I started it the week after and kept doing TKD. I finally decided to stop doing TKD and focus more on Krav but KM is more useful on the street if I were to get into a confrontation. So glad I stuck with the KM.

clfmak

I just started teaching choy li fut kung fu, have been practicing it for five years or so. Before that, I got into martial arts from my uncles when I was a kid. They did some kind of filipino stickfighting, and I tried to learn what I could from them. Later on, I became interested in WW2 combatives- I read Get Tough and Kill or Be Killed. These led me to the book Attack Proof, and I practiced the drills for two or three years (I recently stopped to devote my time to cohy li fut- if I’m going to teach it I better be good at it!). I would talk to other Attack Proof people online on their forum. The forum was shut down and I found the Krav Maga site. Now I try to make it to any krav seminars I can- I follow up with completely different techniqes and respond with different ones often (in less structured drills). In a knife defense seminar, I would often redirect the weapon and try to get to the outside and strike the head, neck, and ribs with elbows and open hand strikes. In a multiple attacker drill (2 with knives, one with a shield), I kept redirecting the knife attacks past me, and one of the instructors told me that that would not work in real life. Two times, I used a strong slap to the wrist against exaggerated knife attacks as I stepped offline (this took me all the way back to the FMA stuff), and one time it disarmed the attacker (the other time he gave me a weird look). The occasional krav seminar gives me a chance to practice more spontaneously.

klem

Judo as a kid, green belt. In college practiced Isshin-Ryu Karate, 2nd degree bb, during the same time did about 2 years of Kendo. When I started KM all that training was about 15-20 years in my past.

KM adds alot of realism for today’s world. Sometimes previous training can be a problem if you are unwilling to be open minded about doing things differently. However, alot of body mechanics and techniques are similar, understanding proper technique, having a feel for fighting distances, can help speed up your understanding of KM.

clfmak

Its good seeing that others appreciate what’s the same, not complaining about what’s different in the martial arts.

la-revancha

‘Rasslin’ and club lacrosse (go UCLA!!).

Now that I’ve Kraved and Jitzed for a while, I’ve realized how much of a aggressive and tenacious advantage was acquired from those hellacious hours on the mat. The tactile sensitivity helped out immensely, too.

caliwt

I have a background in life….

I was a scrapper all threw elemantry school, sticking up for the little guy, I was planning on a carrer in the military so I also studied everything I could get my hands on. I played paintball every weekend, subscribed to Gung Ho and SoF mags, ect…

I tried Boxing, wrestling, and Judo with friends and a few classes. In College I started with Aikido, then Shotokan Karate, Tai Chi, and then finally I discovered Wing Tsun in 1994. I also started Latosa Escrima with Rene Latosa in 1998. I did about 6 months BJJ to prepare for 1 seminar with Rigan Machado, just to check it out.

I started instructing in around 1997 and ran my own school from 1999 on.

I started in the KM forum in around ’99 or 2000, I cann’t remember…..thats all the KM I do for now… 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: