Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    ffdo

OK, I will add my two cents here…..

Judo, kick boxing, Shotokan (sp?) Kung Fu and Aikido. I never got very deep into any of them as it takes a lot of hours before many of the moves are useful for self defense. I am not knocking any of them, and I would say at the lower levels Aikido was probably the most useful of the bunch for SD. KM has the advantage that even basic level moves are useful on the street. That said, it is the only martial art I have stuck with and fell in love with.

JC

anonymous

IKMF symbol??? Traitor!!! 😯 😉

caliwt

ignore this post

susannah

I started in my teens w/karate, got a green belt in it, and then stopped working out for a while. A bit later, I joined a gym and lifted for five years, but always in the back of my mind I had the thought that strength is just a tool. So, I went to kick-boxing, spent there some 18 months or so and then ended up doing escrima for a tyme. After that I did krav for a while, too, and liked it, but my leg forced me off the soft mats, it needs operating, and I don’t think that I’m gonna have that done for now – as there’s little guarantee of it getting better. So for the last few years I have trained mostly alone, keeping in shape and sometymes w/my friends who have done vale tudo and wing tsun kung fu. I’ve attended seminars here and there, knives, bjj and kas-pin come to mind. I think that I have studied the martial arts more or less a decade now. After leaving kick-boxing my aim has all the tyme been self-defence, I in great part left kb because of the bad habits you pick up in that stuff… You cannot be blocking bare fists in the way they day, it just plain doesn’t work.

So… I do drills alone, most all I’ve learned, wt, panantukan, karate, escrima as warm up, then I go to my good ol’ friend the heavy bag and do that for some 30 minutes at a tyme. I do strikes, knees, kicks, and a bit of clinch work as well.

I really would like to attend a gym again, but my leg seems to be a problem. Krav is out because they do that stuff on the soft mat and my leg can’t take the unstability of that. So I’ve even considered going back to karate, because they still teach that on hard floor. But I’d need to find a style that has few kicks, because I can only do so much of them, and sometymes none at all, depending on how my leg is feeling at the tyme.

Luckily, I have these friends who have years of experience behind them in diff styles, and I can share my workouts w/em every now and then.

Styles I like apart from KM are kyokushin, WT, MT, vale tudo and panantukan, and also escrima if it comes to sticks and knives.

Going back to escrima is one choice, too, and I debate it. I still attend the knife seminars when they have them, even if it makes my leg quite sore for a week or so. The problem w/that is that I don’t carry weapons, so it doesn’t in a sense do me so much good. But maybe I should start going once a week or so, it has its good sides as well.

Why am I here ? Because I know how good this forum is. Even if I can’t take another krav class in my life, it’s a learning experience reading and writing here.

Be well.

klem

Just curious, but what is wrong with your leg?

susannah

Re:

quote \”Klem\:

Just curious, but what is wrong with your leg?

AFAIK, It’s most likely Haglund’s deformity. The orthopedists and physotherapists have come w/loads of possible problems, but this is what it’s most likely to be. Last visit I had to this orthopedist was that he said that it’s not gonna get well w/o operating. Said too, that come back when you can’t live w/it.

Ref:
    http://www.allaboutmydoc.com/surgeonweb/surgeonId.2729/clinicId.1432/theme.theme3/country.US/language.en/page.article/docId.40507

Now my ex cannot take a single running step because of a knee operation, and as it is… I’m not gonna risk the operation before the leg is really so sore that it’s worth it. The odds are, AFAIK, that it will never be what it used to be like…

…and then again, I’ve seen my x-rays, I have the same structure in the other leg as well, it just hasn’t been a problem as far, but who knows if it will, one day… Might end up needing surgery for both legs.

Yea it sucks, I’m 31 for gawdssakes, and I need to slow down already. But what can one do ?

ffdo

Killer

You have read enough of my posts to know that I hate the politics of KM. What is great is the brotherhood. I couldn’t help but steal the IKMF pic from KMman and use it as mine, but on the flip side, I have brought more than my share of KM students to US KM gyms…….

All I really care about in the long run, is how to protect yourself against attack, and KM, regardless of what ass., works…….

JC

anonymous

Sorry FFDO,

I thought you had read enough of my posts to know I was just joking. That’s what the smileys were for.

After all, the IKMF are the good people who shoot up their own car for the benefit of their students. Thinking about it that way, where can I download the symbol? 😉 😆

siayn

GK – I think the next major world war will be the result of mis-interpreted sarcasm on the internet.

anonymous

Right you are!

FFDO – please don’t nuke me! 🙁 I said I was sorry….. 🙂

ffdo

Killer, I knew you were joking….. (I don’t fly nuke bombers anymore btw)

JC

anonymous

C’mon FFDO!!! You changed your symbol? What happened? Actually, I really liked it. Now nobody will be able to tell the two of us apart (on the forum, anyway). 😉

anonymous

1st Dan TKD, Close to 2nd Dan but quit in favor of Krav Maga. Studied Kajukenbo for about a year, also had some training in Combat Hapkido.
    Krav is the best for me.

lambsmarch

<<<<Now my ex cannot take a single running step because of a knee operation, and as it is… I’m not gonna risk the operation before the leg is really so sore that it’s worth it.>>>

Not to give medical advice here, but waiting untill \”it’s so sore…\” isn’t always necessary anymore. It is easier to operate, you’ll have less risk of surgical mishap, and an easier and less uncomfortable recovery if you get in there a little bit before that. Also, some procedures are good for ten years let’s say, before needing to be redone, but if you get in there before ‘it’s so sore’ you might get 15 or 20 years out of the procedure, which is a good thing.

medicare is finally allowing hip and knee replacements long before the joint actually goes out because they have finally learned it’s cheaper. And better for the patient too.

Best wishes to both of you, whatever you do.

problem-bear

I’ve done a little wrestling in elementary and high-school but nothing serious. I’ve never had a problem defending myself and am a sucker for punishment but I’m proud to say I’ve never started a fight.I was drawn to Krav from some research I did on practical, real-world fighting styles and it seemed to make so much sense. It has been the best decision I’ve ever made. I train Kickboxing as well and from my experience I honestly feel Krav is far superior in real world situations. I think pound for pound it has to be one of the most effective styles in the world but everyone tends to be pretty loyal to their own style and it also comes down to how hard you train and the attitude behind the training on the sides of the student and the instructor.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: