Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Bas MMA Workout for Southpaws?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    focus

What’s the best way to use the Bas cd’s as a southpaw? Adjust the combos to fit southpaw? Use the cd’s from an orthorox stance? Any advice (especially from southpaw folks) would be great.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Bas MMA Workout for Southpaws?

I just do the conversion in my head when I work south paw. It took a little getting used to but it works.

gp

I’m a lefty and I just do the conversion in my head. You can always throw the combination as Bas calls them but I like to convert it.

la-revancha

IMO, there are two options:

1-mental converstions per prior recommendations.
    2-learn to do it orthodox stance.

I would say, to keep it fun and interesting, you should learn to do it both sides at some point. Devote a couple months to get it right southpaw, then learn to do it the other way.

This is how I have been doing Bas now for the last three years: alternate one round orthodox stance, then do the next one southpaw.

Did wonders for my liver kick….

My $.02, though. Marcus from NTC says I switch stances TOO OFTEN when I spar, so be careful.

focus

Thanks guys. I’m gonna try to work the conversions out in my head. I guess I’ll start with the slower Thai cd’s & then work my way over to boxing.

When Bas says “3 hooks”, he stresses starting with the left. If I’m converting for my southpaw stance, I assume I’d start with a right instead.

It’s a little confusing but I’ll get the hang of it.

kirsten

Do both of what La Revanch recommends. I always trained both sides and would switch often during some of my matches, would really frustrate most of the girls.

clfmak

Mark Hatmaker advocates the southpaw stance over the conventional one, because with the lightweight gloves in MMA having your strong hand back is less important, and having your coordinated side forward is more useful in his opinion.

unstpabl1

quote CLFMak:

Mark Hatmaker advocates the southpaw stance over the conventional one, because with the lightweight gloves in MMA having your strong hand back is less important, and having your coordinated side forward is more useful in his opinion.

Thats an interesting thought. The strond side forward also make sense from a weapon stand point. Why learn to fight empty hand one way then use a knife from a totolly opposite side. Puffy gloves change the dynamics…HHM.,,,Truthfully hadn’t thought about that

clfmak

quote unstpabl1:

Thats an interesting thought. The strond side forward also make sense from a weapon stand point. Why learn to fight empty hand one way then use a knife from a totolly opposite side. Puffy gloves change the dynamics…HHM.,,,Truthfully hadn’t thought about that

I used to have this same philosophy and practice everything right side forward primarily. One of my training partners is trying to relearn to fight from a right lead because he practices judo and stickfighting, both of which use a strong side forward. Personally, I’ve been using a left lead in unarmed and armed stuff over the last year, especially with the knife, using the left to defend and create openings. Krabi krabong uses footwork that switches leads to cover lots of ground- very interesting in stickfighting.

js

I have to tell myself when doing the combinations that my left is my right and my right is my left. This made it very easy to do without memorizing the combos.

kirsten

If you are using Bas’ tapes, then you should be using his stance too because it makes your forward hand, or “Jab” hate that term, as strong as your right. I cannot see the difference between his left or right when he does bag work, both are incredibly strong because of this method.
    Also, for those of you that are LE, I probably wouldn’t do this often as it applies to your DT’s and if you do, just be aware of where you are placing your gun side.. ie closer to the suspect and such. Good luck and have fun with it!

oneness

Hatmakerís influence from JKD is why he says that. I donít agree, but what ever works for you.

The best is to keep you body square, with whatever stance you choose. With your dominate side slightly back, if you want. Also, just because you enter a knife, doesn’t mean you need to switch your stance and bring it forward. Just remember your not sparring when a knife is entered.

Your shoulders should be square and not bladed with your stance. If itís bladed, you are more open to either being taken down or kicked in the back of the leg.

The recent Fight Science shows didnít show enough of Basí stance and why it should be square. We are working on getting that footage and releasing it. On the show, they measured Basí right straight. It was like 2100lbs. His left straight was 1850 lbs, almost equal to a UFC Championís right straight.

Krav Maga and the BRMMA stance are the same. There are some differences on the feet and how they move, but either way it is still better than the traditional bladed stance.

unstpabl1

quote Oneness:

Hatmakerís influence from JKD is why he says that. I donít agree, but what ever works for you.

. Also, just because you enter a knife, doesn’t mean you need to switch your stance and bring it forward. Just remember your not sparring when a knife is entered.

Don’t know your background but to me this qoute sounds like a lack of knife training. I don’t mean this disrespectfully but out of practicality.

Prison shankings are done in whats called the sewing machine. Strong side back. The front hand is used to push and clear a path while the back hand keeps a stabbing. This is trained in the system. Yes prisoners train violence. The reason this stance is effective is its an ambush attack and of course the other person is unarmed

Any good stick or knife fighter is going to put the weapon forward. Putting the weapon back opens up all kinds exposed targets as well as cuts down on your reach. As well as putting your heart closer to his weapon. Fatal. Find a FMA guy and knife spar it with him your way you’ll chnge your opinion very quickly

Hope this helps

kirsten

quote unstpabl1:

Prison shankings are done in whats called the sewing machine. Strong side back. The front hand is used to push and clear a path while the back hand keeps a stabbing. This is trained in the system. Yes prisoners train violence. The reason this stance is effective is its an ambush attack and of course the other person is unarmed
    Hope this helps

No disrespect taken but I think that’s what he said. It also sounds like you are contradicting yourself so further explanation may be needed to clarify your post because you say the offenders have the knife in the rear hand, and then go on to say that it should be held in the lead hand so I am confused. As a LE trainer and husband to a cop, he is acutely aware of this issue and has studied it in length with the Department of Corrections.

As for training with a skilled knife fighter, he actually has and Felix Valencia asked Oneness to be his instructor after traveling to our training center to meet Oneness… My guess is he is discussing stance and not knife training in his post. He also trained with Paul Vunak when he was in Oregon.

BTW, John Whitman has a story about some great knife fighters coming to KM to show how our knife defenses were not going to work. Then they got the guys flustered and pissed off and low-and-behold all that fancy knife work went out the window and they starting swinging like a 6 year old on the playground. Itís a great story if you get a chance to hear it.

So basically I think he is just saying keep your stance squareÖLOL

oneness

As far as my background… I’m not the type of person that will talk about a subject that I don’t know about. If I don’t know, I won’t make **** up I’ll go find the right person to answer it.

Maybe, I should have clarified more. I was taking about Mark’s reason to have the dominate hand forward because of the smaller MMA gloves and padding? So if he had boxing gloves on he would have a different stance? It just didn’t make sense. But that is not what we are discussing here.

I don’t care what hand you have forward, just that your stance should be square. I also meant exactly what you said about the prison shankings. Grab’em pull them in and strike. Don’t need to switch my stance for that.

I also was trying to let beginners know that you should keep the same stance for what ever weapon you use. I shouldn’t have a different stance for striking, then one for a knife and then another if I have a gun.

I do think you need to switch your stance every once in a while for training because you never know. But to switch for each weapon or glove is not the best.

I’m mostly speaking to the beginners on this forum. Some of you can confuse the hell out of them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: