Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Bas MMA Workout for Southpaws?

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    clfmak

Re: Bas MMA Workout for Southpaws?

I’ve been using the strong side back in knife sparring for a few reasons lately (this year):
    -It makes my weapon hand very hard to grab or cut/whack
    -I find that in exchanges where both people are swinging in close (not a good tactic for knife sparring, but very likely in reality) I end up with wounds to my left arm, while they would have hilt deep punctures to the chest and abdomen (and sometimes I can control their arm while they flail in close). When I have the weapon side forward, I usually end up cutting their lead hand while they cut mine. I find the first scenario better.

I know the benefits of the strong side forward and have used it the most in sparring with trainers, and I use it when facing people much better than me. Its probably because a lot of the knife sparring I’ve been doing has been with a less skilled partner, so I’ve been able to get away with the left lead.

BTW in the old Cold Steel Warrior’s Edge VHS tapes, there’s a good amount of sparring footage between Felix Valencia and Lynn Thompson. Lynn does extremely well. He advocates the right lead as a default, but also uses a few other stances, some of which use a left lead.

unstpabl1

quote CLFMak:

BTW in the old Cold Steel Warrior’s Edge VHS tapes, there’s a good amount of sparring footage between Felix Valencia and Lynn Thompson. Lynn does extremely well. He advocates the right lead as a default, but also uses a few other stances, some of which use a left lead.

those were great points C. I always like to read the reasons why someone advocates something that way if it differs from my viewpoint I can reread the reasons and see the subject from another perspective. We get so bogged down in our own dogma that its hard to see the other sides. Its not enough to say do this, its the why. Its similar to my bull**** about it’s not what you train in, its how you train it. Sometimes I think we focus on the wrong questions

I think its telling that you switch back to strong side forward against skilled opponents though.

One thing to remember viewing the Cold Steel tapes is that Felix was the teacher not Lynn

Glad to see you around more. Quit picking up homeless women at the beach yet:box: You planning on Fighting at Dog Brothers in August?

clfmak

I plan on fighting, but probably just with knives since my stickfighting isn’t really up to par.

clfmak

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=32840907
    Here’s some light sparring with rubber knives and minimal gear. Pretty light contact with no attacking the face (no goggles or fencing mask). Anyway, I’m using the left lead a lot. Another thing about the left lead- it allows for using a shield with the left hand (a jacket, coat, briefcase etc) although you can use either side forward. There’s another video where I use a gi jacket and rubber knife in combination.

unstpabl1

quote CLFMak:

I plan on fighting, but probably just with knives since my stickfighting isn’t really up to par.

Maybe this year I’ll finally go watch but I may be in Pheonix teaching that week

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: