Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Bear hugs and hair grabs?? necessary??

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    unstpabl1

Re: Bear hugs and hair grabs?? necessary??

quote lions2011:

OK Unstop. I dont mean to come off as Arrogant because if you meet me in real life I am extremely down to earth.
    The last 10 years I have not done any martial arts and now I have so much fire to learn and catch up on lost time. I am very impatient.
    I will try to be more open minded then.. my fault.
    Yes i am a white belt but I could test out in May but I am going to stay in level 1 until Fall I like it so much. Not to sound arrogrant but are level 1 class has many level 2 moves mixed in.
    Then its on too bear hugs and side kicks. I am 35 yrs old and I hope by age 40 I will be pretty lethal. I will be taking up Muay Thai soon and then maybe BJJ next year.
    Pretty enthusiaed for a 35 year old man. Did I mention tennis is still by best sport.
    I appreciate your insight and knowledge in the world of Krav. And my future posts will not be as dissmisive.
    Are level2/3 class has alot of ground defense too that I am looking forward too.
    Take care for now.

Awesome. Fresh startthumbsup

I really get where the enthusiasm comes from and everyone on the net has all these conflicting theroies on what the ULTIMATE COMBAT TRUTH is.

Everyone has opinions about krav it seems, partially because their competing against them in the marketplace. WHAAT!!! Martial ARts is a Businessrofl2

Just for the record, I don’t train krav, though I did for a very short period. I don’t inflate my experience, but I know about the system from being here a long long time. And other systems from exploration

I teach acting and a lot of my thoughts about students come from that base which may seem unrelated but students are students

What a good teacher realizes is that a new student or any student really these days has 1 foot out the door. Always looking for the new better way or the next new thing.

Its hard because as a teacher you have the responsibility to develope the fundamentals which can be unsexy and yet have to keep it interesting. In many cases the teacher ends up overteaching in an effort of retention. Or worse watering things down

In most cases, things your learnng today MAY NOT make sense for weeks, months or years later because your present level of awareness isn’t sophisticated enough in that skill …YET….as one of my acting teachers always said “You don’t know what you don’t know yet”

Ever struggle to learn something then a few days later have a:chair: AHHA moment? rofl2

Understanding this as a new student is extremely empowering because you know to “SUIT UP, SHUT UP AND PLAY”. You FOCUS on the task at hand to the the best of your ability AT THAT MOMENT. Then trust that your body which is way smarter than we are is learning it. Learning is repetion and tedious, mostly its showing up and doing the work. As Tony Robbins says REPETION IS THE MOTHER OF SKILL

The reason I used the word PLAY is that the more enjoyment we find in an experience the easier it is to learn.

Thats why YOUR enthusiasm is sooo important

Where other students are at depends on many things, but it is never really our FOCUS. That doesn’t mean we don’t help when apropriate but we don’t judge their performance because we’re FOCUSED on making it work for ourselves and besides most other people are too lazy to do the work or everyone would be an Olympic Chammp :D:

We learn through experiene, experiences and experiencing. Meaning WE LEARN BY DOING PERIOD. We can read, watch videos etc but until we start trying to apply it we don’t know it

Bruce Lee said Use what is usefull, disregard the rest, but that requires a lot of actual testing

I’ve used the word FOCUS a lot in this post, if you recall in the other threads to you that word was used a lot as well because all success in life comes down to WHAT WE FOCUS ON both long term and short

MMA’S FOCUS is Mano y Mano Sport. IT’S A CONTROLED FIGHT IN A CONTROLED ENVIORMENT. KRAV’S FOCUS IS THE VERY OPPOSITE.

Can you crosstrain them…absolutely. Can you switch Focuses…absolutely. Can you learn from each other…of course

The big key is picking a BASE SYSTEM and mastering it. Krav is an awesome base system to grow from and truly battle tested

Sorry for the loonng boring post. Hope it helps

Good luch with your training. Don’t lose the enthusiasm and Focus on being the best you can be and I’ll be watching vids of your BB test here in no time

lions2011

I don’t think I will ever get to Black belt but thanks.
    My goal for Krav is too be a good Orange belt. I want to incorporate MT and BJJ too and just learn the basics and incorporate them together rather than master one system. My only prior experience was Boxing in College.
    Some BJJ schools are now having basic core classes that should be much simpler than my horrible experience 10 yrs ago.

You said you trained in Krav once. Can I ask how long you were enrolled and how long ago?? How long have you been doing MT. I am going to to start in a few months and I hope it wont be super complex with super hard Axe or heel kicks. IF it is I wont last long.

Did I mention I am good tennis player too…

unstpabl1

Fair question. i’ll disappoint. As i said my krav experience is very limited for many reasons. I discovered krav before NTC ever opened and took a class up at the Jewish university. I couldn’t take the classes because I bartended the nights of the class. I trained in a park with some Israeli guys for about 4 months or so. YEARS and years ago LOL. Took a FIGHT class with CJ”s DAD. Last year while going thru Chemo I was at KMSO for a couple months till the doctors told me I had to quit….sucked but was the right call. I may be the longest regular poster on the forum though I come and go

Because of what I do for a living and my real passion, I’ve had a lot of training breaks but other systems I’ve trained in are American Kenpo, NInpo, San Soo, kickboxing and MT. there are others as well

I’ve played in one of the above systems as i could for almost 20 years….and I suck.

I’ve been back at MT since last summer trying to work around nerve damage from chemo and am FINALLY getting consistent w/o’s in. Train about 5-6 days a week at least an hour a day. I’m using the training to rebuild and reinvent myself. its been a struggle. In the end all this **** is Toughness Training

FWIW, and My MT instructors always tend to put the newbies with me so I can show them the basics, MT will help your krav….but then so will training Krav.

I train at a top school. The thai’s show you things but they don’t really break it down. Depending on the gym, there may not be a lot of technique work or as Kru Nop( Kevin Ross’s trainer) says IQ KRAV…Just bang, bang no good. so much of MT is based on the stronger better conditioned fighter will win. I always tease them that they’d rather take a kick than avoid one

CJ’s Dad would have much better insight on it

I took a FIGHT class at KMSO with him and it is still one of the best martial art classes I ever took. The basics were broken down and built upon. You walked out of that class able to apply it

not sure about where you train but I THINK and maybe an instructor will comment, that FIGHT is where you hone the combatives. This is what I think your looking for with MT:dunno:. Either way MT is complimentry training but also an added expense

If I could I would be back at Krav because my Focus isn’t preparing for a sport fight. My focus is health and street. I simplty can’t afford it.

Hope this quick ramble helps

be well

Mike

unstpabl1

Quick thought on BJJ. I have a few close friends who have schools. They all teach it differntly. Some just show a ton of techs during the class then roll. Others have it structured much better and you work on one thing each week. For me the latter is better. So a lot depends on the instructor

lions2011

Sorry that you had to undergo Chemo , I hope are in full remission and do not have to deal with it again. I am reading a good book about the history of Cancer right now called ” The emperor of all maladies”.
    As for BJJ, yes most schools just throw out tons of moves and you roll and I find it very hard to learn much. A few now have structured core basic programs which is all you need really for street. I did the ones where you just roll with poor technqiue and was injuried and quit and learned nothing in 6 months. I mean zero. Instructor told us hundreds of moves and I remember zero.

You sound pretty tough to handle 6 hours of MT a week. You must be very good a MT. They should break up your MT class so that you dont have to work with beginners.
    I hope you can find a Krav class and come back.
    Did you like Kempo.. Kind of the same as karate right.

unstpabl1

quote lions2011:

Sorry that you had to undergo Chemo , I hope are in full remission and do not have to deal with it again. I am reading a good book about the history of Cancer right now called ” The emperor of all maladies”.
    As for BJJ, yes most schools just throw out tons of moves and you roll and I find it very hard to learn much. A few now have structured core basic programs which is all you need really for street. I did the ones where you just roll with poor technqiue and was injuried and quit and learned nothing in 6 months. I mean zero. Instructor told us hundreds of moves and I remember zero.

You sound pretty tough to handle 6 hours of MT a week. You must be very good a MT. They should break up your MT class so that you dont have to work with beginners.
    I hope you can find a Krav class and come back.
    Did you like Kempo.. Kind of the same as karate right.

Thanks for the good wishes

finding a good teacher is more important that the system in many ways.

LOL I suck at Muay Thai….it’s a perishable skill and I’ve had physical issues for quite awhile, even before cancer. I’m the old fat guy wheezing in the gym trying not to look like a pussy or hold the class up. I’m just too stubborn to stay home

At my gym, we all help each other and learning to hold pads and training others is a part of the training as the pad holder acts as coach. Not bad for me because I’m more likely to corner someone than fight at my age. I get my reps and guys go out of their way to help me thru

IMO I think American kenpo is one of the most fundamentally sound systems there is but its too reliant on techniques and doesn’t train the student to react spontaneously. Its sparring in most instances is point sparring and I’m not a fan. But if you learn the fundamentals of the systen you can learn any ststem easily. I liked San Soo better and always seem to revert to it in confrontation though with a MT twist. I had about 5 MT fighters training it this afternoon.But that system has major flaws as well and some instructors who won’t look at reality

I tried many systems looking for the right place for me. Scheduling for me has been an issue and of course money but I’ve gotten to train with great instructors

lions2011

to unstop…

San Soo that is more of a Chinese system of take-downs and chokes right??

How long would it take to learn just the basic moves of MT. I only have the time to go twice a week.

I think your right that Krav is a better system for the streets and MT is better for the ring. However, combining the 2 would be a hell of a system rofl2
    I would hate to hold pads for Professional MT fighters that would be super hard on my body.:(: :(:

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

You can hold pads for me if you want :box:

unstpabl1

quote CJs Dad:

You can hold pads for me if you want :box:

Sean, any timethumbsup Love training with you. I’d be a much better fighter because of it

On a side note for you there is a seminar tomorrow with SAMART & SAEKSON tomorrow at MTA. I’m going. i’ll post FB

unstpabl1

quote lions2011:

to unstop…

San Soo that is more of a Chinese system of take-downs and chokes right??

How long would it take to learn just the basic moves of MT. I only have the time to go twice a week.

I think your right that Krav is a better system for the streets and MT is better for the ring. However, combining the 2 would be a hell of a system rofl2
    I would hate to hold pads for Professional MT fighters that would be super hard on my body.:(: :(:

San Soo is a LOOONG conversation some good some BAAAAAD, but the short version is it is one of the few systems that stresses preemptive attacks. Hit first, hit vitals, hit often. There is a lot of bad SS on the net, but there is vids on youtube of it being taught to USMC Recon in the late 90’s

Basic moves maybe 3 months or so. Leearning IQ Muay Thai, not just bang bang takes time like anything else. When I first started they would train you to do a Amatuer with in a year. I was timekeeper at a smoker recently and a few guys/gals fought under 3 months, but it was more of a sparring seminar between gyms. No winners/ 80 percent power because MMA screwed up the smokers and the boxing commision stepped in

In secret I’m toying with the idea of doing one next year or so if I continue in the system but that is a really trally ambitious idea and maybe more of a mid life crisis thing:banghead:

I don’t see much real difference in the delivery system between MT and krav. I remember CJ’s Dad taking krav guys outta KMSO to spar at a great thai gym regularly. My experience of FIGHT was that it felt the same as what I do , but also focused on illegal targeting

Yeah holding the pads is a workout, but its also part of the body conditioning as well as conditioning the mind. I’ts toughness training. You’ll start to like the BANG BANG, especially the knees

lions2011

to CJ’s DAd??
    Are you a krav instructor??
    Just wondering.

I am in level 1 still in Oregon but not to brag I am the best in the class for level 1 .. Time to move on in the fall to level2/3. Then I will be the worse in the class for sure.

:abx:On guard…
    You see me and unstop are best of friends now..

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

LOL on occasion people have called me that. I think its cause thats what it says on my tee shirts.

unstpabl1

CJ’s Dad is being modest. He’s an excellent coach with a very strong background…… However I do know that he gets his Instructor Tshirts at the 99 cent store. You can tell because instead of saying KRAV MAGA INSTRUCTOR they say KRAVE HOT MAGA INSTRUCTORS

don

CJ’s Dad? An entire chapter in Frommer’s LA is about CJ’s Dad. All the crazy stuff that Johnny Knoxville does in Jackass – CJ’s Dad had already done before he was 5. When the going gets tough, the tough get going; when the tough get stymied, they go get CJ’s Dad. When CJ’s Dad walks into the dojo, boards break themselves. Women want to be with him and men want to be him. Chuck Norris uses CJ’s Dad as a reference.

CJ’s Dad is an outstanding martial artist and instructor.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Thanks guys I appreciated the kind words but you forgot to mention I also saved a ton of money on my car insurance by switching over to Gieco.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: