Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Belt testing and advancement

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    rick-prado

Just curious, I saw on the sherman oaks site how long one should train to progress to the next belt level and am curious.

When is says 9 months to get to green for example, assuming a student trains 4 hours per week, is it 9 months from the previous rank, or 9 months total.

I can’t remember if it was green or not that takes 9 months, just curious if it is a from inception or from the previous belt.

Thanks

johnwhitman

From the previous rank.

sflakrav1

Belt Testing

Since we are on the subject of belt testing, I wanted to know if the testing format for all levels are the same at all schools throughout the US. I have been taking Krav at an ATA school for 8 months now. I am a little bit frustrated with their format and level promtions. I have been through 2 testings and they don’t let you know if you pass or what level I am at. Considering what I have learned I should be a level 2 and I have also worked on knife attacks and gun attacks. I just think there is no structure. I love what I am doing but a bit frustrated with the process. Has anyone else encountered any problems with the ATA schools? Since I travel a lot I have taken classes in 3 different schools which aren’t ATA schools and they seem more structured and when you pass your testing you are awarded a certificate that you are certain level or belt. Any suggestions or comment would help. 😕

super-b

I’ve got the same issues as sflakrav1; I’ve been training for about 5 months, there has been no mention of testing or advancement AT ALL. It doesn’t seem that testing is even offered where I train. All KMAA licensed schools should have the same advancement/level structure.

hollywood

i would definitly find out from your instructor what is going on. sounds like they need to get alot more organized. makes me wonder if they are a legit krav school. but just my opinion.

eric-joyce

I know of few schools that have Level 1 Classes and Advance Classes. From what I have been told, in the advance classess you will see techniques from level 2, 3, 4, etc. all mixed together (some weapons and ground is included as well). I am not a big believer in that for the simple fact you may be missing some important basics in level 2 before you progress to a level 3. For me, I need the structure and the levels identified so I know that I am not missing anything important. If it’s all mixed in, it can be confusing.

johnwhitman

Let me know where your schools are at. You can post here, or you can reply to me at [email protected].

vwr32

Re:

quote \”Super B\:

there has been no mention of testing or advancement AT ALL.

How is it *supposed* to work? Does an instructor come to you and say something when they think you’re ready? Am I supposed to just start asking once I’ve been there about 6 months? Only taking one class per week I wouldn’t try testing now if they asked me to, but I have no idea what the expectations are for me to progress.

I guess I figured they’d either tell me when I got there or I’d retire from old age in level one lol. Either way I’m having fun, but it would be nice to know.

legarreta95

My school (an ATA btw) tests on average every four months and if you or somebody else is not ready for the next level they will be quick to tell you lol. I would deffinatly ask your instructer what’s going on and like John said, give him the name of the school and he will let ya know if they are on the up & up 😉

bradm

I trained Krav at an ATA school in Marietta (Powder Springs) GA for about three years. They were very clear on their testing procedures and (to my beliefs) followed NTC precedures pretty close. They would not test anyone if they thought the candidate was not ready. I was in the first level-1 class that tested for level-2. Depending on number of students ready to test, they would test about every six months or so. It may be more freuent now that their Krav program has grown. Anyway I was notified that I passed and recieved a Diploma (for both my level-2 and level-3 tests). The Diplomas are signed by my instructor, by Darren Levine, and what appears to be initials something like ‘N’ N in the Founder’s block ( or space).

When I moved to Orlando, FL. I trained Krav at an ATA school. I never heard them mention anyting about testing. I ended up quiting Krav because of that school.

vwr32

Re:

quote \”legarreta95\:

I would deffinatly ask your instructer what’s going on

Nah, that’s not my style. 😉

freakpower

Re:

quote \”Eric Joyce\:

I know of few schools that have Level 1 Classes and Advance Classes. From what I have been told, in the advance classess you will see techniques from level 2, 3, 4, etc. all mixed together (some weapons and ground is included as well). I am not a big believer in that for the simple fact you may be missing some important basics in level 2 before you progress to a level 3. For me, I need the structure and the levels identified so I know that I am not missing anything important. If it’s all mixed in, it can be confusing.

It’s a matter of economics and demand. In Austin, we have a fairly robust population of KMers, and we still have small showings in some of the level 2 classes, and from what I hear the level 3 classes are almost entirely instructors. You gotta pay the instructors, and to keep the studio open, so you need enough people to make it worth it.

That being said, I understand where you are coming from. I think everyone should also take more control of their training and let the instructor know areas where they are needing improvement in (ie, level 2, 3 whatever), esp if you are in a mixed ‘advanced’ class like that.

lb

btw..\”The Diplomas are signed by my instructor, by Darren Levine, and what appears to be initials something like ‘N’ N in the Founder’s block ( or space).
    \”….. It says Imi in Hebrew though as someone who is almost fluent, I dont tihnk Imi actually signed it (considering one first letter is in print while the third is in cursive :-))

giant-killer

Yeah, and besides that, he passed away in ’98…

I think Darren’s signature is a print on, too.

bradm

Re:

quote \”Giant Killer\:

Yeah, and besides that, he passed away in ’98…

I think Darren’s signature is a print on, too.

I would say it is definitly a print on. I doubt that Darren, with his busy schedule, would have time to sign everyone’s certificates.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: