Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Belt testing and advancement

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    giant-killer

He signed three of mine. 😀 Good old days…. 8)

bradm

Yeah GK, but in \”them good old days\” didn’t you still do Krav on dirt floors? 😮 Kidding 😆

giant-killer

I don’t mind doing Krav on dirt floors, as long as we are doing Krav… 😉

sflakrav1

Re:

ATA School in Weston, Florida.

Re:

quote Giant Killer:

He signed three of mine. 😀 Good old days…. 8)

Well…. Thats just……. Showoff!!! bow1:angry:
    ;):

Re: Belt testing and advancement

Sorry for bringing this up here, but I understood when I first heard about Krav Maga that there are no belts. The reason being that they did not want it to become “competitive” and they were trying to avoid the negative view people had of belts in other martial arts, where often they had become meaningless. The idea was supposed to be that on the street nobody has a “belt” level, everybody is on a level playing field and must just utilize all the skills he has learnt.

So my question is, since when have belts become part of KM? And is this only in the US? Cos in Israel there still aren’t any belts. We virtually don’t have any army decorations either for the same reason. When the bullet hits you everybody is equal.

mara-jade

Other than the certificates, no there aren’t ‘belts’. I understood by testing, you prove your proficiency level in KM.

jjk

Well, there are LOTS of KM associations, and probably some rogue teachers out there. I have seen places that use belts. Maybe I can find one.

vwr32

in the book “complete krav maga”, it lists the various levels as:

Yellow belt, orange belt, green belt, blue belt, brown belt.

I sort of assumed the belt system was a way people could view the various levels… belts are more familiar to most folks so they get an idea of the level equivalent to the belt system of traditional martial arts. At my school they refer to everything as levels, and I’ve never seen anyone (in any kmww pics anyway) ever wearing an actual belt. Maybe i’m wrong. I go by levels.

The way it was explained to me when I joined is that the belts do exist, but only to kinda let you know where you’re at (except for the km-X program). I don’t really remember… I didn’t care too much 😛

J-

brentw

vrw32 (i love the car BTW) is pretty much right. In KMW, which will apply to most of the US schools, belts/levels are used just as way for other systems to see where things kind of match up. In the IKMF there is another system to judge your level. It is rather esoteric and only means sense to someone in the IKMF (ie. not useful for outsiders to figure out were you sit.) Even though I am familiar with it, I couldn’t tell you what they mean without looking it up myself.
    We stopped actually giving belts a long time ago, with the exception of black. Now, I have NEVER actually worn any of my belts. I keep mine in my bag for training and drills only. The only real use I see for them anyway. In 10 years I have only seen one instructor actually wear his belt. It was given to him by Imi. I also have pictures of Imi wearing his belt as well. So belts have been around since Krav Maga’s inception if I am not mistaken.
    Now being able to judge level is an important thing. It lets me know that a student knows and is proficient with a technique or not and lets me structure more challenging/fun classes. So it does have value in that regard.

blindfold

My concern is more to do with the level certificate to see where
    I would be in the grand scheme of things.

My school doesn’t do anything. You go to class and go home. We train all over the place and after a while people get frustrated with constantly repeating the same stuff and leave. Most of the people would just like to be able to have seperate classes and some idea as to where they are, as far as proficiency.

I go to an ATA school as well and students aren’t told about belts at all. I do refer them to this website though.

I figured that if they test every couple of months and give you a certificate, it may justify repeating the same stuff every other day for 2 years.

Then they would need to introduce anadvanced class and that means more time slots and more time away from something else.

bradm

blindfold,
    I experienced the same thing when I moved to Orlando. I attended Krav classes at an ATA school. They only had two classes a week and always taught the same stuff. There were a couple level-2 students in the class, but no level-2 criteria was ever taught, not the way I had learned it anyway. I was a level-3 student when I moved to Orlando. I know of several Krav students (including me) that trained at the local ATA schools that quit.

As far as testing and belt rankings, I believe the ATA school in Marietta Georgia that I trained at for 3 years before moving to Orlando followed procedures as outlined by the NTC. They issued certificates which indicated belt levels, but no belts. And they had level-1 classes seperate from advanced levels. When I left the highest level being taught was level-3, due to instructor certifications. I’m sure they have advanced since then.

Our instructor has mentioned testing a few times. The way he made it sound to us, it was purely optional and mostly for our own benefit.

He says one benefit is just to experience the test itself (apparently it is long and hard).

I’ll probably test, not because I want to say I have a “belt” but more because I like having some way to measure my own progress. I don’t care how I rate in relation to any other guy, but I do like to push myself to get better at things.

Where I train (Ultima in Tucson, AZ.), we have tests for the next level every 4 months. Unfortunately, looks like this school only goes to level 2. From the info I gathered online, seems there are 5 levels to each step (or belt), with the exception of the highest levels, which have only one or two steps up.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: