Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Can’t get pass the white belt level and now I can’t sleep

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    lennykravist

Re: Can’t get pass the white belt level and now I can’t sleep

quote Crash20:

Yeah thanks for asking. Diving is about the only thing I can say was no problem even parking. The hardest things were that my father taught me and getting on the highway. Things like riding a bike were hard and took forever I was always way behind other kids with that kind of stuff. I was a theatre major and until college where competition came into play more I usually had no problems but once the competition started I choked most often. Sports I shyed away from totally until my twenties where like most gay men I started to work out but could never commit to wanting to be big in my head I wanted to be huge but could never admit that to myself. Then in my thirties started wrestling which I was never good at but my size gave me some help. It ended badly with a very bad L Knee FX. So I am sure I am over thinking things. What goes through my head is one is this something I can actually accomplish with time or am I wasting my money. Two are they all thinking look at that week gay guy who can’t even throw a punch. Two will I actually have the heart or the stones to use this if something happens or will I have the nerve to put on gloves for the next level if I make it that far. so yeah I am a slow learner and I am most often nervous and for sure over thinking things. Then to add to it I keep hearing things like Krav Maga is bull ****, so I am never sure what to think? Thanks SCH

Hey Crash. I think you’re overthinking it and, as others have mentioned, comparing yourself to your Krav mates. While overthinking it can cause you to second-guess, comparing yourself to your Krav mates can get you and them hurt; both of which aren’t conducive to your training. Take it from another slow learner, and just enjoy the ride. Don’t force anything, go as slow as you need to. Before Krav, I couldn’t punch my way out of a wet paper bag, and no cardio at all. Only been in 2 fights my entire life (I’ll be 40 this year). I’m a slow learner, and it took me beyond the baseline 4 months to test for even my Level 1. Took me 10. So relax. Go do it. Have fun. Enjoy being out there and having the camaraderie of your Krav mates that are all there to help you and each other. Just enjoy it, and do what you can do. No regrets! And don’t over-analyze. Just do it.

sch-thurston

What Lenny said. All of us the “wrong” side of 40 are slow learners these days! A quick shift of reference frame – use your current self as your starting reference – should see you able to track your own progress. And that, my friend, is the only thing that matters.

So you have a lot of challenges in your future if you stick with krav maga. Sweet! That’s the sign of a meaningful life! Don’t worry about the distant ones, focus on one at a time. And I don’t mean something as big as “pass the white belt test.” Break it down into manageable chunks. For example: for the next three months, focus on learning to punch correctly, then harder, then faster. Start slowly and work on proper technique with full body rotation, getting your punch back as fast as it goes out, keeping a good guard, etc. etc. While being “the attacker,” start to focus on how the other person is punching at you. Get used to trying to read their punches, get your body defense working whether or not the instructor asked for it, etc. etc. If you spend an hour breaking down your techniques this way you should find that you will learn more (and be more effective!) and you should have more fun.

Two other things. No, actually, three. (1). Repetition, repetition, repetition. (2) Get yourself a journal and “de-brief” yourself an hour or so after each class, e.g. as you’re eating dinner post-shower. Walk your mind through what you learned and make notes. You will consolidate memories much better this way (it’s one of the reasons pilots de-brief) and you will have a handy reference for later classes. (3). Repetition, repetition, repetition. 🙂

sch-thurston

Oops. When I said “the attacker” I meant “the attacked!” As in, the guy on the receiving end of the other guy’s combatives!!!! Don’t just stand there like a statue, pay attention to the attacks coming in and learn from/react to them.

magpie

Hey Crash-

I was very glad to read this thread today…not because you’re having a challenging time in your training, but because I, too, have been feeling disappointed, discouraged, and frustrated in my L2 classes.

I’m 49, smaller than most of the guys in my classes, gas out easily despite doing cardio on my non-KM days, am scared of getting hit during sparring, bruise waaay easily because I’m on blood thinners after surviving a heart attack last January (and my doc would be PISSED if he knew I was doing martial arts), and generally feel like an outsider instead of part of the training center “family” even though I’ve been there for 10 mos and introduce myself to everyone I train with.

I have a family and other commitments and am unable to spend as much time as other students doing multiple classes and Crossfit. I try to attend two L2 classes and one L1 during the work week.

It’s always been one of my personal dreams to earn a black belt in a martial art, and I would like to believe that I can do this in KM. Right now, I’m trying to re-orient myself and mentally “buy back in” after gassing out during a multiple attacker drill and performing dismally during combo drills with a much more experienced and skilled training partner). I actually lost a lot of sleep last night from ‘shame’ feeling like a loser.

I’m grateful for the encouraging words from folks on this board, and am willing to take a deep breath and dive back into training. Part of me wants to quit, but a greater part does not.

I guess my point is that you’re not alone in feeling frustrated. Take a deep breath and focus on one class at a time. Like others have said, go at your own pace and you’ll get there when you get there. I’m saying this for myself as much as you.

One class at a time, brother!

lennykravist

If there’s one absolute thing I can strongly but humbly suggest to Crash and Mag, it’s DO NOT QUIT (unless your health is at stake of course, but you know what I mean). It’s tough, hard and brutal. But if it was so easy, everyone would do it. Making it as far as you guys have is saying something. I’m 40 this year, and I definitely get gassed all the time. Just keep at it, and don’t compare yourself to others. Think about where you were when you first started, and only compare your own growth to where you are now. Enjoy the ride!

sch-thurston

What Lenny said. You also have to remember that 80% of self defense (or fighting, if you prefer that term) is mental. The other half is in your head. It is very easy to lose touch of the mental part of training in seeking to do whatever physical exercise is up next. It’s why we should be scanning while we do push-ups, using words when engaging with threats, assessing exits, etc. We’re not just trying to get buff and kick to head height. (Nice side-effects if you can get ’em, but not the main thrust!)

And I think you’d be surprised if you could get candor from most of your classmates. Most have some physical or mental or emotional issue they’re not super thrilled about. Most of us learning Krav Maga aren’t natural fighters. It’s why your class probably isn’t all MMA wannabes. Those guys are off doing MMA, at least in my neck of the woods.

So my parting thought, which I hope some instructors will comment upon, is that you should be actively engaging the mental challenge! Don’t think of it as a distraction from the “main event.” According to the owner of the school I go to, the mental challenge IS the main event.

crash20

Hey people, Thanks for all the encouraging words. So far I have not given up. You guys have been very helpful. I must really thank Magpie in particular as I have just started a new job and was finding it hard to get up out of bed and head into this new place everyday this week facing new people new rules new subways and areas I’ve never been in. So I read Magpie’s post one morning when I seriously thought of getting back in bed. This of course would have been a problem since my benefits don’t start for a month and we are living basically on one salary. At any rate Magpie’s words gave me some push and I thought to myself that this is what all of this training has been about not being afraid. I got out of bed and headed into work and so far have made the first week and was not attacked on the train; with that in mind let me tell you a few things that have happened. In one sunday class I got frustrated and felt like the instructor was not being clear and in keeping with trying to be more aggressive, I spoke up or really back. It went something like listen to me and I responded no you listen to me. It was a mistake and showed a lack of respect and judgement on my part. We spoke about it afterwards, I apologized and he made it clear that it was not a big deal but it should not happen again. I have since been in his class and there were no problems he continues to correct me and everything. Then one weekend morning on the way to class I feel my gym bag suddenly and forcefully move. I had it slung across my shoulder and back. My response was completely different than the pre Krav Maga me. I turned instantly to see what and who was doing whatever. This young homeless guy or so he seemed was just walking away with his eyes averted.
    I kept staring at him sure that he had just tried to either swing at me or at least do something to the bag. I stood still and kept my eyes on him he eventually turned to me looked right at me and opened his arms wide as if to say so what. To my surprise I stood right there and did the same. I was not walking away and I was not going to have him come running after me and attack me from behind. Fortunately nothing happened he walked on and I went on to class and kept my eyes opened.
    As for the classes themselves I am still going through a lot of emotional ****. There have been at least three workshops for the yellow belt testing since my own workshop and it is always on a night that I am there. Because I am such an emotional person it always hurts to see the guys and gals that you started with in the workshop moving on or worse the people who started after you moving on. I took a class this morning and I felt like it was going well. At some point the instructor said this is important because you will all one day be going on to the next level and you need to get this right. I use to believe that now I just try to ignore such comments because I am not sure if I will ever get there. Just as my train is derailing from his comment I start to feel better get back into it and then class ends and he announces the next yellow belt test is in two weeks then I get into the locker room and my training partner for the day asks me if I plan on doing the test. Now he told me he has taken something like 30 something classes and like me can only get to three classes a week and as he is new he has not heard any of the conversations that I have had about not testing anytime soon. So in the span of an hour i went from feeling this is great I am doing ok and this is what I want who cares how long it takes and then the train derails and I am back down to what am I doing here am I achieving anything, what kind of loser keeps giving his hard earned money to people for something he clearly is not capable of learning.
    So far the plan is to keep going. My current membership ends in the beginning of June. At which point my husband starts school and we are on one paycheck and I most likely will be working a second job rather than doing strikes at the school. The plan was have the yellow belt by the end of this membership then start again after he finishes school I am sure I would have to attend all of the white belt classes again but I would be able to work my way up to the yellow belt stuff, since I would be returning with the yellow belt. Anyway:box: thanks for all of the good words and support. :box:

magpie

Glad I could help, Crash. Also glad that your KM training has already given you some confidence and awareness when dealing with potential threats on the street. Great that nothing happened, though.

I actually took most of last week off from KM after injuring my left leg while practicing leg defenses against low round kicks (an L2 technique). Had some time to reflect on my KM training. Then yesterday in church my pastor spoke about being happy with who YOU are and not comparing yourself to anyone else. I’ve heard this a million times, but I guess it never really sunk in until now.

So here’s my new plan:

– Start jumping rope every day to improve my cardio (1 min/day, then 2/min, and so on until I can go 15 mins/day)
    – Focus on my breathing during sparring.
    – Asking my training partners to go easier on me if I need them to do so. Finding new training partners if they have a problem with it.
    – Focus on making my techniques sharp, clean and precise. Taking L1 classes regularly in order to hone my basics.
    – Not worrying about who’s better or worse than me in class.
    – Taking as long as I feel I need until I’m ready to test. Doesn’t have to be in 6 or 9 months.
    – Not thinking about eventually making black belt. It’ll happen when it happens. And if it never does, it doesn’t take away from what I’ve already learned.

I’m not here to become the next Jack Bauer or UFC fighter. I just want to be able to defend myself and my family should the situation arise.

Looking fwd to an L1 class today at lunch. 🙂

pinkgloves

quote Magpie:

So here’s my new plan:

Start jumping rope every day to improve my cardio (1 min/day, then 2/min, and so on until I can go 15 mins/day)
    – Focus on my breathing during sparring.
    – Asking my training partners to go easier on me if I need them to do so. Finding new training partners if they have a problem with it.
    Focus on making my techniques sharp, clean and precise. Taking L1 classes regularly in order to hone my basics.
    – Not worrying about who’s better or worse than me in class.
    – Taking as long as I feel I need until I’m ready to test. Doesn’t have to be in 6 or 9 months.
    – Not thinking about eventually making black belt. It’ll happen when it happens. And if it never does, it doesn’t take away from what I’ve already learned.

Great job coming up with a plan! I have two suggestions.

First, rather than jumping rope for only 1 minute a day at first, try jumping for 1 minute intervals with a 30-45 second rest between. This will help your cardio more than a one and done round of jump rope.

Second, practice your techniques slowly to make them sharp, clean, and precise. My students detest slow work almost as much as most small children detest eating veggies. However, they all show signs of improvement afterwards. The hard thing about slow work, for me at least, is keeping the same speed throughout the entire technique. I tend to get excited and start rushing. :Unsure:

Good luck!

magpie

Thanks, PG! Have a question re: your suggestions…sending you a PM so I don’t hijack this thread.

don

quote Crash20:

In one sunday class I got frustrated and felt like the instructor was not being clear and in keeping with trying to be more aggressive, I spoke up or really back. It went something like listen to me and I responded no you listen to me.

Not saying who is at fault but this incident makes me say “whoa”…

magpie

Whoa!!!

Attachments:

kmyoshi

quote Don:

Not saying who is at fault but this incident makes me say “whoa”…

I should try this on you Don, just for the reaction(s)… rofl2

don

quote Magpie:

Whoa!!!

exactly! lol

don

quote KMyoshi:

I should try this on you Don, just for the reaction(s)… rofl2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHTUDwc1fd8

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: