Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge commando krav maga

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    blokrocbet

is there anyone taking this variation

simon

Re: commando krav maga

If you use the search feature you will find many posts on this topic. I can tell you from what I have read in the forums it is not thought fondly of as legitimate Krav Maga, this is not my personal opinion as I have no direct knowledge of it but most of the KM forums seem pretty down on it.

mara-jade

Afternoon folks and welcome!:wav:

As Simon said, doing a search on commando krav maga should get you some hits. What I’ve seen as ‘not fondly’ is for a civil debate to turn into the ‘my krav is better than your krav’ and that’s where it could get ugly. Sean does a great job of keeping conversations from turning that way as much as possible.

Please, don’t feel you’re in the wrong place. I just dunno how many responses you’ll get to your question to be honest:dunno:

By all means though, please feel free to hang aroundthumbsup

vinman

I personally have nothing against Moni or Commando Krav Maga

I’ve done some research, and learned that Moni trained with Imi, and (supposedly) even helped him decide what would be taught in KM. According to his site, he also saw battles with the Syrians.

Who am I to discredit the guy, and/or say that he’s a liar ??

He obviously knows KM, and has added his own variations (judo) to suit his needs. Its funny, but do any of the instructors we saw in the “Human Weapon” actually teach pure KM, or do they all have their own variations/systems ??

My school also learns some variations as well with Mike Kanarek’s HaganaH…which I think is some real good (and super practical) stuff

Isnt KM a mixture of many martial arts (boxing, Thai boxing, wrestling, karate), using only what works best on the street ??

I dont think anyone will watch a KM video and say “hey look, they stole that right cross from boxing”

simon

quote Vinman:

I’ve done some research, and learned that Moni trained with Imi, and (supposedly) even helped him decide what would be taught in KM.

Iíve actually done some research as well and from what I have read on some other Israeli based Krav Maga sites is his background is fabricated. Supposedly his resume was a product of the marketing/publicity people he has working for him. Iíve never seen anything to substantiate any of the claims heís made regarding his Krav Maga training or being a student of Imis let alone working with him on the system.

As I said in my earlier comment I donít know him or his system but I can say that when I asked about him after the Human Weapon episode the basic response was he is considered a joke.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

OK thaaats a little harsh, before the CKM fans storm the forums let me remind everyone to keep things civil and respectful to other organizations and their practitioners.

Thank you.

giant-killer

Moni used the claim of having “co-founded” Krav Maga for a while, which is what I think got us all a bit irritated, as no one connected to KM seemed to have known him in that capacity. He has since dropped that claim, at least in advertisements or other articles I have read recently (and as far back as a year or more ago). Even if you read his forum now, he (or at least his students) do point out that CKM is in fact a different system and he only calls himself founder of Commando Krav Maga now, not general Krav Maga (which IS a specific system consisting of specific moves, not just a few things from other systems thrown together, although there have been influences).

Anyway, Moni is definitely known as an Israeli Judo champion and just has a different approach to things (for example in CKM they try to take the weapon first in gun defenses, concentrating on the takeaway rather than an immediate counter as we would do in general KM).

So, there are differences and you could just try out both systems to see which one best suits your needs. I like KM, but I guess I’m biased. :):

ninja

Moni is not a Krav Maga instructor… He first claimed to have helped develop the system but was later exposed for the fraud he is. Moni studied Judo, and what you see has nothing to do with Krav Maga…

resqr1

As loose as marketing principles are, he probably just took some “liberties” with the words “trained Israeli Special Forces”. A long time ago the system I trained with layed similar claims with the British SAS, Navy SEALS and American Special Forces. We had members of these orginizations seek training from us, but the perspective governments did not specifically request it. That being said I would like to invite all of you to come train with a world wide Special Forces trainer: ME 🙂 🙂 🙂 My point is a lot of super warriors train outside their perspective units. It doesn’t make any of us trainers of military personnel unless we are requested by that entire entity. Marketing is just personal propaganda.

nixxon

Is CKM the same as Kapap? (Sp?)

giant-killer

No, but I think Moni and the Kapap guys (Avi Nardia) are friends.

blokrocbet

im new to CKM so can anyone tell me the diffrence between KM and CKM?

vinman

quote blokrocbet:

that all depends on who you ask…..;):

quote blokrocbet:

From what I can tell, everythign you have read here is pretty accurate.

To make a long story short, I started teaching KM 7 years go this month. I closed my St. Louis based shop to return to school. Since then, I have decided to re-open a shop and have been ‘shopping’ myself, looking for which organization I want to work with. I looked at Mr. Aiziks group and have decided not to align with them. They are great people and Moni is very likeable. However, I did not see much in the way of KM in the curriculum. While there are some VERY effective skill sets in his system, it is not as close to KM as I would have liked. It’s just too much like the traditional arts I trained in all of my childhood and much of my adult life as well. I debated canceling my slot for instrcutor certification in CKM because it is so hard to get an empty slot, but did so anyway.

The biggest difference I noted was that CKM uses a LOT of grappling, which makes sense given Moni’s Kudokan Judo/Japanese JuJutsu background. However, I am just not looking for more of that. I like the direct simplicity of Krav Maga and as Moni himself says quite often “Simplicity is genius”.

bradm

blokrocbet,
    You mentioned you are new to CKM. Have you posted your question on the CKM forum? You may get a better perspective of what it is all about.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • The topic ‘commando krav maga’ is closed to new replies.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: