Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge commando krav maga

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    jl

Re: commando krav maga

OK
    Here we go…..I have no axe to grind and will do no grand standing. I have several years of knowledge in several MA and RBSD’s. In my opinion, what you’re reading is pretty accurate. CKM is a system started by one guy..Moni Aizik, it uses more of a grapplers viewpoint on many techniques (wrist locks, finger locks, figure four, kimura etc.) Krav Maga is more of a striking art. And a good one at that. They also employ bursting and takeaway as well as some take aways with punishment. I like many of these and employ them in my training. There are however some useful things I found in CKm. When in an altercation KM uses a forward stance knife position hands up and fists. In CKM they use what they call the fence. it is an imaginary circle approx. three feet in diameter. In the fence position you put your hands up in a more passive way, open hands. When the attack escalates you work from the fence to defend. Some believe this technique can be used to talk the bad guy down, let him save face, tell him your not interested in fighting(“I don’t want to fight you man”). This then does two things, one it may just keep you safe by deescalation and two everyone around at the time can testify that YOU said ” I don’t want to fight you man” so if in fact the fight jumps off, and you summarliy kick the guys ass, the people in the crowd will back up your play when asked who tried to keep the fight from happening(who was the aggressor) the aggressor is the one that usually gets hooked up(cuffed). So while I personally enjoy KM techniques by and large, there are some things in CKM that could be used to more complete training for street defense. IMHO no politics no axe. JL

ryan

For what it’s worth, the “fence” was a term and position made famous by Geoff Thompson, and many of the tactics described by JL are taught in many systems, but only a few KM instructors, that I know of, employ them.

jl

Ryan is spot on. Geoff Thompson did indeed bring the term and technique into the fray. He is also correct in saying that some and not all KM instructors employ this defensive position.

I guess what I was trying to interject is that while some of the statements made by Moni Aizik and CKM are outside of the scope of what has been proved to be true, I still will distill any type of RBSD to find something of use for myself and my students.(i.e. Geoff Thompson’s fence technique). I will always back the Associations that put Krav on the map in the US. AS far as North America is concerned it’s KMAA.

I will also submit that not all is well in Toronto (CKM) Many of the higher level instructors are at odds with and are resigning from Moni and CKM, over some of the techniques and by some of the unmet promises that were apparently made. I guess noone is exempt from the rath of an unhappy instructor.

I respect all the instructors on this forum or any other. They bring this stuff to the masses and give their time and energy to help defend those that could not defend themselves. I suppose in that vein I will pat myself on the back as well. I just want to send my students home with pressure tested effective techniques. NBothing more nothing less. JL

blokrocbet

i heard that about the at odds part. My instructor and moni had a falling out

leejam99

what’s their instructor training/qualification?

jl

I talked to a guy here in Canada who went through the Instructor Certification. He said that to qualify you need to have a Brown Belt in your given MA or 4 yrs of teaching in MA. The thing lasts for 5 days, they go for 12 hrs. a day. Pressure testing is every day (three on one with weapons) final day is for testing upper level certifiers must Pressure test for no less than 12 minutes, display excellent ability on technique. He also said that about 30-40% do not get certified (fail).

All that being said, he does not currently teach CKM. He told me that the infrastructure just isn’t in place at Commando Krav Maga to go anywhere teaching it. He also said that some of the instructors are leaving due to contractual deviation by CKM(breach of contract). So, he is now back to teaching the KM techniques mixed with a little MMA to make his student retention levels higher. I personally have no knowledge of any of this, I am simply restating something told to me by someone who was there. JL

I cannot personally attest to any of the information in the link below, but it is apparently a legitimate posting of one CKM Instructor’s issues re: a breach of contract or more than one. I’ve checked with some people in-the-know and they could not defintively confirm it either, but said they had heard via other parties it was correct and accurate.

http://commandokravmaga.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=15.msg24

vinman

quote Cottonwood-Combat:

I cannot personally attest to any of the information in the link below, but it is apparently a legitimate posting of one CKM Instructor’s issues re: a breach of contract or more than one. I’ve checked with some people in-the-know and they could not defintively confirm it either, but said they had heard via other parties it was correct and accurate.

the only word that comes to mind is “****storm”……

happy-dragon

quote Cottonwood-Combat:

I can attest to it. I’m the guy who wrote it, Will McLay. :Surprised:

It was about time somebody published the truth. Since my story came to light, others have come forward with questions and concerns that echo my issues.

The quoted link is just the complaint at the Better Business Bureau, read my “cautionary tale” here on the home page: http://commandokravmaga.com.au/

I’d be happy to answer any questions, either here, or on the forum I’ve setup, if you wish to discuss it.

With respect,
    Happy Dragon

Yeah, maybe there’s a storm of sorts- I just can’t afford my new business to get wrapped up in anything. It’s just too early, so I walked away. Maybe some day I will try again. Like I mentioned before, Mr. Aiziks has some good stuff in his system. My 13 year old son could even make some of the skill sets work against me at nearly full speed/strength after only about 10-15 of practice.

From what I gather, there are a lot schools doing very well with CKM. In time, I might be one of them…. only as a supplemental program though.

Cottonwood, is the gobbledygook you wrote at the top of your logo actually supposed to mean something? Or did you just write some Hebrew there so that it looks “cool”? I read Hebrew and it just looks amusing to me, something like if you had to write “weroidskfjsklfjw”

vinman

quote Vinman:

the only word that comes to mind is “****storm”……

the forum wont let me write “s hitstorm” ??

mara-jade

Nothing more than word filtering

vwr32

quote Vinman:

the forum wont let me write “s hitstorm” ??

That’s how THE MAN keeps us down! :soapbox:

quote Liquid Rockface:

Cottonwood, is the gobbledygook you wrote at the top of your logo actually supposed to mean something? Or did you just write some Hebrew there so that it looks “cool”? I read Hebrew and it just looks amusing to me, something like if you had to write “weroidskfjsklfjw”

Actually, I used a translation program and typed in the name of our shop. This is the Hebrew it gave me. Others have said it is accurate accept for a space that shouldn’t have been there.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • The topic ‘commando krav maga’ is closed to new replies.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: