Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Continuous Motion in Krav = Retzev??

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

actually..it is kind of hard to explain…but not for those reasons.

karlhungus

I checked out the link when it was up earlier (I didn’t really take it as anything political, but hey… that’s just me.) and the playfighting really seemed like a mix of Krav and Brazillian Dancefighting (I gues the pace is like the dancefighting, moves were Krav). It was actually quite impressive. Looked like some fun sparring that is for sure. The 2 guys who were doing it were obviously very well trained.

anonymous

A Krav/Capoeira mix, huh? Run up a wall, do a backflip, then continue with choke defense? 😆

Actually, doing slow, repetitious work can be very beneficial in my opinion. To get good at doing any one move, it’s important to do it over and over again until you got it down. So, incorporating that into some type of slow fighting may not be a bad idea.

anonymous

If you have Darrens video series…in the history of KM tape there is a very quick scene of two Israeli boys(dressed in white) doing a reztev drill.It is very quick so you might miss it if you are not paying attention.

rich-f

Dancing- that’s a new one I never heard before… The playfighting can be fast or slow depending on skill but it is a good way to practice fighting, breaks, releases whether standing up or on the ground. You are attacking and defending and looking for openings in an unrehearsed way with no pre-set schedule of moves. you are hitting each other with some force, bit not the long term damage of constant sparring.

anonymous

Sounds like an interesting exercise. I have the KM videos, so I’ll take a look at the \”History\” tape and see if I can catch a glimpse of that retsev drill.

johnwhitman

For the record, that video isn’t from Israel. It’s from the U.S. years ago.

clfmak

\”You are attacking and defending and looking for openings in an unrehearsed way with no pre-set schedule of moves. you are hitting each other with some force, bit not the long term damage of constant sparring.\”

Sounds like Systema.

anonymous

Haven’t gotten the chance to watch the video yet. Maybe today. But it does sound a lot like slow fighting, maybe with some KM thrown in.

We did a slow drill on the ground yesterday, just continuously looking for leg locks, putting one on, then letting go, looking for another lock etc. Not really like sparring, but just practicing slowly, training yourself to see the opening or opportunity for a possible submission move. That was a great exercise.

anonymous

the whole concept behind it is not just multiple strikes(which it is) but about the FLOW from one strike to the other

ryan

In my experience, there isn’t much \”flow\” to a real violent encounter.

jl

flow

ryan,

I disagree! In a violent encounter there in some cases will be lots of flow, just not necessarily strikes! 😳 😀

samson

Re:

quote \”Ryan\:

In my experience, there isn’t much \”flow\” to a real violent encounter.

I disagree – Techniques have a natural flow if you take the initiative and execute properly. The more practice/repetition you have, the more fluid your attacks and responses to counter attacks will be.

johnwhitman

Techniques, yes, but the technique gets interrupted by the other guy, the ground, your clothing, your conditioning, his punches, etc.

Personally, I like doing drills like this. I just don’t see the need to make them seem special or give them a mystique. We’ve been talking about continuous counterattacks and no-kata training since before anyone heard of us. Put together combinations, see openings, change tactics when new openings appear. Do slow work with the other guy free to react however he wants to.

I’m also against anything choreographed. It is vital for beginners to start with \”cooperative\” training so that they see and feel how to transition from one strike or movement to the next. But combinations that become long and intricate have left the realm of training and moved under the heading of \”demonstration.\”

samson

Re:

quote \”johnwhitman\:

Techniques, yes, but the technique gets interrupted by the other guy, the ground, your clothing, your conditioning, his punches, etc.

Personally, I like doing drills like this. I just don’t see the need to make them seem special or give them a mystique. We’ve been talking about continuous counterattacks and no-kata training since before anyone heard of us. Put together combinations, see openings, change tactics when new openings appear. Do slow work with the other guy free to react however he wants to.

I’m also against anything choreographed. It is vital for beginners to start with \”cooperative\” training so that they see and feel how to transition from one strike or movement to the next. But combinations that become long and intricate have left the realm of training and moved under the heading of \”demonstration.\”

I think we are agreeing then –

It isn’t about mystique or rigid choreography but rather emphasizing (and practicing) the concept of continuing when you find openings as well as when you get countered/go to the ground etc. Retzev is just the name for this concept.

Drills like playfighting can help with fluidity of attacks and identifying (and reacting appropriately to) counters.

Thanks-

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: