Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Different Dans in Krav maga

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Re: Different Dans in Krav maga

Hi Lions, I am trying to be nice & Please stop with the ” self-defeating ” talk and really get into Krav Maga and enjoy yourself and the company of anothers.

Whatever happened to you in the past is now over & you can learn to have self-confidence as you move up the ranking belts. 😎

People think that once they lose their self-confidence that they cannot regain their confidence back or that it will be too hard for them to accomplish. This is not true. It may take time for you to become self-confidence in your self, but you can regain your confidence again once you overcome your insecurities it’s less likely that you will lose your self-confidence again.

In order to gain self-confidence you need to believe in yourself. If you believe in yourself then you can succeed in anything you put your mind to. You may not succeed the first time you try, but you have to keep trying until you do succeed. Quick success does not exist in our society.

Achievements only come to those who strive hard to get them. You get nowhere in life if you do not push yourself. You need to create a lifestyle that is right for you and nobody else. Do not settle for anyone else’s lifestyle or for a lifestyle that is beneath your standards.

To make this happen, you must learn to accept who you are, be proud of the person you are. Only then will you feel your self esteem rise up to the skies’! Now onto the 10 steps to self-confidence.

1. Start with writing a journal.

Ask yourself what is making you feel like you cannot get to the point in life you want to reach. Write any thoughts that come to mine. Also, write down what self-confidence means to you.

2. Remember the past is over; you can only change the future.

Write down 10 positive things about yourself. Go through your journal and look at all the positive things about yourself. Concentrate on your strengths. These are the reasons you should love yourself and have high self-esteem and self-confidence in yourself. Give yourself credit for everything positive you have written about yourself. Remember, you are somebody special.

3. Accept yourself and learn to love yourself for whom you are a person.

Everyone has his or her own unique qualities and characteristics. We are all born differently for a reason. Do not compare yourself to others.

4. Understand yourself mentally, physically and spiritually.

Take some time to relax by yourself in a quiet room… Rest on your back with head and neck comfortably supported

Rest hands on upper abdomen, close your eyes and settle in a comfortable position. Breathe slowly, deeply and rhythmically. Inhalation should be slow, unforced and unhurried. Silently count to four, five or six, whatever feels right for you. When inhalation is complete, slowly inhale through the nose. Count this breathing out, as when breathing in. The exhalation should take as long as the inhalation. There should be no sense of strain. If initially, you feel you have breathed your fullest at a count of three, which is all right. Try gradually to slow down the rhythm until a slow count of five or six is possible, with a pause of two or three between in and out breathing.

5. be ready.

Self-confidence comes a lot easier to the person who is sure their ready.

6. Strengthen your inner self.

Write down in your journal what you will be able to do once you acquire the confidence you need.

7. Begin changing what you do not like about yourself.

Confidence comes from within. You need to concentrate on the positive things about yourself.

8. Notice the change in our self-esteem and self-confidence.

Reward yourself each time you do something that makes you feel proud…go out some place or take it easy for the day.

9. Learn how to give and take.

Confidence is being able to find a balance between giving help to people and excepting when we need help.

10. Have a tremendous amount of pride in yourself.

Remember, you are number one!

quote davidkahn:

Most important, at the highest levels of krav maga one must possess a hand-to-hand combat ability; not just self-defense reactions. Controlled aggression is a prerequisite, but, one needs to be skilled in every aspect of a fight including opening recognition and timing. In short, an advanced krav maga belt, particularly at the blackbelt level, must be able to defend against any kind of attack, especially, against a professionally trained person from another fighting system.

Probably the easiest method to compare/judge for oneself is to examine the different krav organization’s rankings/abilities by comparing their respective blackbelts on Youtube. I suggest anyone interested should compare the main frontline organizations IKMA, KMF, KMWE, KMG, Krav Maga Alliance etc., especially, at the 4th dan level and higher. You will see some differences.

Best,

David Kahn

Hi David, I have found this to be true with the timing & closing distance. A fight does not start the moment a punch is landed. It starts when someone moves closer within arm length for striking or leg length for kicking. This is where maintaining a level of awareness is so important.

I have always watched what people are doing with their hands at all times & note the distance of where their feet are being placed in relation to my personal space everyday.

Some people do not understand my need for personal space & it is because I almost lost my life once and never again.

Some people call it paranoia but actually it is awareness. I have even tried to have some of my loved ones & my friends watch what is in people’s hands all day for one or two days and some ” get it ” & some don’t because of weapons of opportunity is everywhere, including their own hands & feet.

It started with a sucker punch and grew lightening quick & violent from there. These days I have ducked a dozen sucker punches thrown by somebody else. I can not believe the level of un-awareness of some people perhaps because they have never been punched or violently beaten like that in their whole life.

I think some people advancing through various ranking belts may never have a fight in their whole life or maintain that level of awareness and for some, Maintaining a level of awareness is just part of everyday living either because of someone’s line of work or having bad experiences have made the person more aware of his surroundings and how people come in or out of a person’s space. I can not turn off that instinct and the need to watch what people are doing with their hands and where their feet are.

Some people have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) from being violently beaten and not knowing what it was they were looking at was actually lightening quick hand to hand combat. Those who have seen this firsthand will understand what I am talking about. I have noticed that policemen and soldiers & survivors of violent encounters can relate a lot to what I am talking about.

Hi Lions, I thought you would respond by now. You have to learn the art of speaking with authority and how to articulate yourself.

Like I said before, I can not stand people with poor social skills and low self esteem skills when I know they can do much better than that.

Setting yourself up for failure, that is something you have to figure out why you are ” shooting yourself in the foot ” as you speak. Cut out that kind of talk with yourself and another people saying I will get no further than green belt or whatever it is you have going on in your life.

You have to practice at it until you become healthy & strong in the body, mind and the soul. I know you can do much better than that.

Everyone at some point in their lifetime has to start polishing their skills.

Start learning Krav Maga and allow another people to help you, As you help yourself in all areas of your own life. There are many people here to help you. thumbsup

p.s. do not forget that almost all martial arts provide some form of character delevopment and Krav Maga has that too as well.

quote lions2011:

WOW..

and you know the techniques for black dans are super complex and hard.
    Glad I will never get that far because I would never absorb it.

I will be a green belt by September for sure which is my ultimate goal in krav maga.

I will leave the brown and black stuff for the real krav experts which is not me.

See what I mean when I show you the ” mirror ” ?

lions2011

hi Jewishfitness. It is me ” Little Lion of Judah” remember rofl2

I tend to be getting along with everybody in the room extremely well these days. I am both open minded and extremely nice now.

CJ’s Dad had to track me down and give a good krav beat down to learn my mistakes.

So far it has worked.

How are you and are you practicing krav now.
    I am doing Krav about 3 times per week and Muay Thai about 1-2 times per week. I greatly think Krav is a better system for myself but I only do Muay Thai to just change things up. Krav is better for the Street and MT is better for the ring or MMA. My opinion.

Yes, I remember and am glad you are doing much better.

Got a new Apple iPad for Christmas gift and have krav magazine app ( the free ones for now and will add the paid ones later )

You are lucky to be at a KM training center & make the most of your krav magazine and I hope one day to read that you are trying out for the black belt test.

lions2011

Sorry to be negative but there is no way I will ever get to black belt. I will get to Green belt one day soon. I am already doing some advance classes that involve weapon defense only.

My goal is to learn basic and intermediate Krav plus some basic weapon defense then I will have reached my goals. My other goal is to learn basic Muay Thai. My final goal next year is to learn basic BJJ.

So far I have only done 6 months of MT and 15 months of Krav and I started at a later age of 35 than most people.

One thing for sure I was extremely vulnerable to attacks last year but this year I would be 5 times tougher to take out for sure.

Hi Lions, stick with your martial art training and see where Krav Maga takes you.

Most important of all, have fun and learn a lot & before you know it you will be a black belt in Krav Maga.

Remember that in Israel, the soldiers of the IDF do not have the luxury of being a black belt. They must learn immediately on their first day and throughout their career as soldiers.

Hi Lions, you might find this interesting about the lion from Ross’s training blog.

Persist until you …

http://rosstraining.com/blog/index.php?s=Lion&sbutt=Go

Hi Lions, have you re-considered how to have more self-confidence in yourself and earn a black belt ?

This is another example of research being done in the field of martial arts.

There are at least five references in the Torah specifically about the fifth rib.

http://www.easyrashi.com/oldsite/TEFILLIN/the_5th.htm

I can not detail them all from the Torah but this gives you an idea of what went into making each belt from the white belt to the black belt.

Well in any case, since last checking messages. I hope you have regained the necessary self-confidence to move up the belt level ranking requirements. 🙂

mdeaneuscg

quote lions2011:

Sorry to be negative but there is no way I will ever get to black belt. I will get to Green belt one day soon. I am already doing some advance classes that involve weapon defense only.

My goal is to learn basic and intermediate Krav plus some basic weapon defense then I will have reached my goals. My other goal is to learn basic Muay Thai. My final goal next year is to learn basic BJJ.

So far I have only done 6 months of MT and 15 months of Krav and I started at a later age of 35 than most people.

One thing for sure I was extremely vulnerable to attacks last year but this year I would be 5 times tougher to take out for sure.

I’m not gonna beat a dead horse :Deadhorse: but remember this one thing: A belt, regardless of color, is simply a means to hold your pants up. You claiming you will never go past green belt means one thing, that you intend to quit after achieving it. Why would you quit? If you haven’t learned this as an orange belt yet, you better figure it out before green. You don’t stop, you don’t retreat, you attack and fight, and persevere, or else you die. You saying “I’ll only achieve green belt” is setting a predetermined limit for yourself. If it is all you can ever achieve, because of your abilities, then so be it, but never voice it, and certainly never stop trying. If you believe you can do something, you may be right or wrong, but if you believe you can’t do something, you’ll be right every time. People that were ‘never supposed to walk again’ have run marathons because they didn’t set predefined limits for themselves.

If a man does his best, what else is there?

Good to see I am not the only one saying this … How about it Lion of Judah ? :box:

wiccaman

“A belt only covers two inches of your ass; the rest you have to cover yourself”

Think I might be quoting a Gracie there.

I’m all for continual development. I’ve been doing Krav for around a decade now and I still find new things to learn. I deliberately expose myself to as much RSBD material and different techniques as I can. Having said that I only do so in order that I can incorporate new approaches as a better way of doing something I can already do. in other words it’s as a replacement (generally, there’s always scope for covering different situations). I adopt the new technique and abandon the old one (a core philosophy in KM I believe).

In other words my overall number of ‘weapons’ in my tool-kit doesn’t change that much. The tool-kit itself is pretty small but allows me to deal with most conceivable situations. I know a lot of ways of getting out of a choke but I concentrate on 2 or 3 of them for instance. I’d rather train one move ten times rather than 10 moves once if you get my drift.

Don’t get me wrong; I have the utmost admiration for the practitioners at the top of the game belt wise. I understand the dedication that takes. But for me learning a lot of extra moves, whilst interesting, wouldn’t be something I would keep up. In fact, because of Hick’s Law I deliberately ‘unlearn’ moves I no longer use. I don’t want my long term memory popping up with helpful suggestions when I’m trying to operate on auto-pilot.

Anyway, just my $0.02

Stay safe

Al

bear34

I may be wrong, but I don’t think there are any IKMF black belts(Expert Level) and damn few IKM black belts in the USA. In the IKMF testing for E-Level is only performed in Israel. Makes it hard for most people to reach that level.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: