Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    cearball

Britain has a heavy drinking culture of which i am a keen follower :beer:.
    However when drinking is when im more likely to get into a situation in my opinion in which im more likely to need my krav training. In fact there was a incident recently that could of ended in blows in which i remember thinking “Krav or no krav, im too wasted to fight…”
    Basically my questions are

Have any of you had to fight after a few beers more than you should have had?

Do you think you could use krav well enough in such a situation?

All responses welcome, unless its the obvious one of stop drinking :):

vinman

Re: Drinking & Krav

are you serious ??

cearball

Yes vinman it is a serious question i understand the effect of alcohol on the body & i know it would seriously effect the fighter but im interested to know if anyone with training has been in a situation like it.

kevin-mack

In the US we have goggles that simulate the effects of intoxication. They are mainly used to show people what its like to drive drunk but I know of a few KM/martial arts schools that use them to simulate fighting drunk,disoriented,etc,etc.

t-j

I’m thinking about getting with Stafford & La Rev and testing it out this weekend. Strictly research mind you. Last drunken fight I was in… well, let’s just say it didn’t go too well for me. There are pics to prove it. But, that was pre-krav in 2005.

seeq-qc

actually, i think the OP’s question is a great one. Realistically speaking, being at a bar and having a few drinks and perhaps having our motor skills compromised is foreseeable a situation more than a few of could find ourselves in. Krav preps for other handicaps like multiple attackers and physical injury. Perhaps the motor skills degradation after consuming alcohol is just another handicap that must be overcome and there is a strategy and combat tactics that would fit that scenario. Let hear some thoughts on this.

michael

I follow the three stupid rule.

Don’t go stupid places
    with stupid people
    to do stupid things.

I don’t go to bars, and I don’t get drunk. Doing either is placing yourself into a situation where you are far more likely to get into trouble. Why up your odds?

stevetuna

quote Michael:

I follow the three stupid rule.

Don’t go stupid places
    with stupid people
    to do stupid things.

Wow. I’m using that rule forevermore when interviewing suspects. That’s good stuff!

jesse

“All responses welcome, unless its the obvious one of stop drinking :):” – QUOTE

For those of us who are sober, we’ll just let you hit us a few times first so we’re on the same level. There’s a reason they call it getting “hammered”. I’ll follow the three rule and try be ready. Now on the other hand if you want to talk about taking away my caffeine! :tantrum: I walked into KM last week with a water bottle in one hand and a Mason Jar of homemade expresso and sugar in the other. It may have looked like something else….

leejam99

one good thing might be that because your drunk and your body is more relaxed…you might take the beat down with better absorption just like if you are sleeping during a car crash, you body is relaxed so less injuries happens….. 😉

I’d think being a bit tipsy during a fight might compromise any chance you’d have of explaining yourself when the cops show to arrest someone. Alcohol weakens those inhibition barriers we all have- you know the ones that say, ‘don’t do that; it’s reckless and could get you in trouble’. So drinking and Krav, for me and most the folks I work with in class, is a big no-no. It just seems foolhardy to carry around the knowledge you have and still drink. I don’t think a drink or two is going to make you start fighting when it’s not warranted. But anything to excess can get you in some major hot water with the law if anything does happen while you’re legally drunk. Just my two cents.
    Besides, one of my Krav classes is early Saturday morning, so drinking Friday is the surest way to vomit during the cardio drills. Saturday night I’ll have a beer or two a home, but not out anywhere.

seeq-qc

Personally, when i go out and have a few drinks…i have a few drinks, just a couple, make sure i eat enough and watch my consumption/time ratio. Ever since I first turned 21 I have always been keenly aware of how bad a situation you put yourself in by overindulging…….or you just get drunk only when you’ve got a half dozen 6’4′ 265lbs linebacker size friends with you. ;):

fiend

So you guys seriously avoid bars and/or drinking on the fear that you might get in a fight? I don’t mean to troll here, just find it hard to believe. What do you do for fun at night? Even without bars, say sporting events, concerts, etc, there’s always drunk people around…

zen4me

quote fiend:

Even without bars, say sporting events, concerts, etc, there’s always drunk people around…

Just because there are always drunk people around, doesn’t mean I have to be one of them. As a woman, I’m already at a disadvantage power wise, why add to that by getting drunk in public and taking away any advantages I may have in speed/stamina/etc.

I have a responsibility to myself and my loved ones to keep myself safe wherever possible, getting wasted doesn’t allow me to do that.

Just my .02 on the subject.

– Kelly

old-grappler

I would say that what bar you choose to visit is far more important than going out to a bar for a few drinks. If you go to a bar that has 5 bouncers wandering around the room, obviously they must have trouble there regularly. Situational awareness should tell you that bar is not a place to hang out…drunk OR sober. Take care in choosing where and with whom you spend your time to minimize the risk of something bad happening.

My only other comment would be that part of Krav Maga’s philosophy is to assess where you’re at so that you have a way to get yourself out of harm’s way if required. Getting drunk to the point of not being very coherent would go against this philosphy. I brew my own beer, and have been known to quaff a few pints of ale, but I try very hard to manage those evenings so that if something happens I am not at a severe disadvantage. Remember we want to WALK in peace…not stagger.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: