Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Good way to increase cardio…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    johnl-d11

For those with no knee/shin problems, I’ve found this has been a very effective way in increasing my endurance and cardio level.. Especially for punching/kicking drills.

Start running on treadmill at 5mph.. at .25 mile, go up to 6 mph.. then at .50 miles, back down to 5.. at .75, go up to 6.5, During the 2 mile run, drop down to 5.5mph, then 7, 5.5, then 7.5. keep doing this for 4 miles (takes abotu 36-37 mins). The end result looks like
    9.5 – then cool down for 5 mins

Confused now?? 😆

Another way that I have been doing has been.. run at 5mph for 3 mins, then up to 10mph for 1 min.. back down to 5mph for 3 mins.. keep doing this until you do the 10mph run for 6 times which is running a mile at the 10mph pace. I’ve been doing this for a LONG time and have no problem doing drills or getting tired in krav class.. I still sweat like a pig and suck wind after some hard drills but nothing that a few seconds of deep breathing wont take care of.

Just a suggestion. 🙂

andre

Interval training is good conditioning, for cardio like you said. Most of the drils we do though are anarobic, which most people don’t work out of class.

garddawg

Interval training is good for us (Krav students, fighters) because if done properly it forces you repeatedly into an anaerobic state. Anaerobic training has great benefits for Krav Maga students and it also will benefit your aerobic conditioning. Aerobic conditioning has limited applicability for us, and in fact has been shown to have little carryover to the anaerobic state, and in fact decrease your ability in the anearobic environment.

johnl-d11

I would categorize both of those methods as anaerobic.. It’s not the same boring speed for a long period of time; Plus the higher speeds bump your heart rate up to almost max… around the 5th time at 10mph, you keep staring at the timer to reach that 1 minute mark. 😆 The countdown starts with about 20 secs left.

andre

I agree garddawg. But in terms of training anaerobic, I don’t think the return on investment is significant as compared to training in other workouts.

garddawg

Andre,
    Are you talking about this particular workout or training anerobiclly in general. I’ld love to throw some workouts (nothing longer than 20-30 minutes) your way and have you try them and see if I could change your mind.

johnl-d11

Re:

quote \”garddawg\:

Andre,
    Are you talking about this particular workout or training anerobiclly in general. I’ld love to throw some workouts (nothing longer than 20-30 minutes) your way and have you try them and see if I could change your mind.

Post em up.. I’m always looking for different workouts since running can get tedious.

andre

I think were on the same page.
    To clarify my thoughts, if you want to train anaerobic, do an anaerobic workout. Since most people rarely have time to workout in krav(or aren’t willing to devote more time), let alone train outside, they don’t have time to train different physical attributes. Most want a supplement for their Krav Maga training to improve their performance. So their time is better spent training drills that lend themselves more to the type of training they want to supplement,and since we all agree KM is anaerobic, then those are the specific types of drills they would be better off working. So while Interval running is a great workout, I don’t believe its necessarily the best.

But I’ll be more then glad to try any drills you want to throw my way.

la-revancha

\”I’ve found this has been a very effective way in increasing my endurance and cardio level.\”

Iím unsure if youíre intentionally trying to plagiarize HIIT theory, but EAS founder Bill Phillips ìfoundî this method in his best-selling book, Body for Life, circa 1999. It was on the best-seller list for weeks. Hereís a more detailed description that can be applied to any other workout (even for those with joint problems):

Most forms of aerobic exercise are suitable. Common choices include walking or running (perhaps on a treadmill), cycling, swimming, or the use of a rowing machine or cross-trainer. However, exercise classes are generally not suitable, unless they are specifically designed to suit Body for Life.

Aerobic exercise sessions are limited to 20 minutes duration. They compensate for this by following the same \”wave\” pattern of steadily increasing intensity as the weight training sessions. During the first five-minute period the intensity should be gradually increased from 5 to 9. The second, third and fourth five-minute periods repeat this pattern, except that the last period should finish at an intensity of 10.

Aerobic exercise is more effective for fat loss when done first thing in the morning, because it raises the metabolism for the remainder of the day, and because the body draws more heavily on its fat stores after fasting overnight.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_for_Life

ìEspecially for punching/kicking drillsî

Since weíre talking about the valuable attributes of anaerobic training and specificity for punching/kicking drills AND quick workouts less than 30 minutes, Iím seriously surprised (and somewhat shocked, Dre!!) that nobody has yet brought up Basí MMA workout tapes/cds/mp3s. No other supplemental workout is better suited for Krav, standup, BJJ, and Judo at least in my experiences.

https://www.basrutten.tv/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=22&category_id=4&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=65

Bas’ workout whipped me into shape for most of my instructor training back in tha day. But then again, I never had RHEK at my disposal 😉 .

TTT for El Guapo.

garddawg

Okay since we brought up Bas I’ll give you one I’ve used with his tape:
    3 rounds:
    75# Push press for 1:00
    Bdywt deadlift for 1:00
    Bdywt squats for 1:00
    Bas striking tape 2:00

Move from one exercise to the next without resting. Try to get the most number of reps you can. Rest one minute after the Bas tape.

andre

I didn’t bring it up because they are mutually inclusive, obvious even. Its like saying water is wet. You’re right though, I took for granted that I know about them, but forgot many people may not know about it.

la-revancha

\”I didn’t bring it up because they are mutually inclusive, obvious even….You’re right though, I took for granted that I know about them, but forgot many people may not know about it.\”

Yeah, I know what you mean. Frankly speaking, I stopped lifting and running long-distance/long time-intervals altogether after Bas.

It’s always fun filling people in about Bas’ workout. It’s more fun filling them on how to properly pronounce the name. Bass, ross, raz, and base are some of the common attempts I’ve heard people use 😆 .

clfmak

Ross and raz just don’t make sense- maybe they think he’s from Brazil so you need to automatically change how the first letter sounds (ie Royce Gracie)

bar-el

At a rec center near me there is a bunch of soccer fields right next to a big hill where they built a nice set of stairs. There is about a total of 10 platforms with 15 steps per platform. From time to time we would get up early on a Sunday morning and run those stairs up and down. Occasionally we took some focus mitts, kicking shields and tombstones. We would scatter these pads at different points on the stairs. When you ran by someone, you could grab the kicking shield, for example, and they would have to do 20 knee strikes on each leg and then continue running the stairs.

To mix it up a bit, we cycled in exercises from the FitDeck.

When the weather warmed up this past summer we would repeat the same workout style, but we would go to El Dorado canyon outside of Boulder instead of the stairs.

After about an hour, everyone was gassed. Running stairs was great for explosive leg strength.

karlhungus

Re:

quote \”garddawg\:

Okay since we brought up Bas I’ll give you one I’ve used with his tape:
    3 rounds:
    75# Push press for 1:00
    Bdywt deadlift for 1:00
    Bdywt squats for 1:00
    Bas striking tape 2:00

Move from one exercise to the next without resting. Try to get the most number of reps you can. Rest one minute after the Bas tape.

I am curious about what the 75# push press is? Is that a bench press with 75#?

Bdywt deadlift? So, saying that I am 185#, are you saying to put 185 on a barbell and deadlift it for a min? I am assuming the same for the Squats. (I say this because, bdywt squats could be interpreted as doing squats with no weight, just your own bodyweight as resistance)

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: