Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Good way to increase cardio…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    garddawg

Karl,
    Push Press is an overhead press started with a small leg drive. Bdywt squat is as you described it with weight. That is one way we have done it at Brand X. But it could just as easily be:
    1:00 Burpees
    1:00 Box Jumps
    1:00 Pull ups
    2:00 Bas

0r
    1:00 Burpee-box jump combo
    1:00 Air squat
    1:00 Burpee-pull up combo

😯

0r switching it up a bit
    1:00 225# Deadlift (or Power Cleans, C&J, Rope Climbs, Thrusters….)
    etc.

g-v

IN class, we do burpees, laydowns, crab crawls and spider crawls for conditioning. Works just fine for me (along with doubling up on classes).

johnl-d11

Re:

quote \”La Revancha\:

\”I’ve found this has been a very effective way in increasing my endurance and cardio level.\”

Iím unsure if youíre intentionally trying to plagiarize HIIT theory, but EAS founder Bill Phillips ìfoundî this method in his best-selling book, Body for Life, circa 1999.

🙄 Ha, yea, I’m trying to take credit for \”finding\” interval training. I’m saying that with all the other types of workout’s I’ve done, I’ve FOUND this way to be the best.. I do krav twice a week, TKD 2-3 times a week, lift 4 days a week and run 3-5 times a week. I was just running outside for hours at the same speed but felt that didn’t increase my max heart rate endurance so then I started doing the speed sets on the treadmill. Only after that, I started noticing my endurance was shooting up. Plus it makes running much more enjoyable with variable speeds instead of the same boring pace for miles.

garddawg

Back in the 70’s (yes I’m that old) it was called Fartlek training.
    John, my point is, while interval running is wickedly better for you in ALL ways than simply plodding along at a steady pace it is still segmenting your training. Segmented training leads to segmented capacity.
    In a fight, I might have to sprint, grapple, throw punches, pull myself over a wall, pick up and carry an injured friend, sprint again…
    but the way most people train is lift on one day, run on another or lift and when I’m done lifting run or ride the bike. This type of training is better than not training, but it certainly isn’t the best kind of training.

kravmdjeff

What’s a burpee?

g-v

Re:

quote \”KravMDjeff\:

What’s a burpee?

I’m not for sure about the other name for it but you did these in high school, quite likely: standing position, squat down, sprawl on your belly, get back up to standing position, repeat. Then, add a push-up when sprawling down. then, add two push-ups. Then, three. So on.

garddawg
    johnl-d11

wow, some of those workouts are just evil.. off to try some. 😀

Edit… ok, just got done doing the following and I’m hurtin. 😯

warm up.. run at 8mph for 1 min, 20 burpees, 8mph for 1 min, 19 burpees.. and so on and so on until I was down to 1. I only did the push ups from 12 down to 1 on the burpees, took me 36 mins to complete this… Must say, this SUCKED. 😀 😯

g-v

You guys are a bunch of masochists. I mean, I’ll do the shit in class. But on my own? Naw.

lor

Re:

\”You guys are a bunch of masochists.\”

😆

Actually, I practice on my own time because I don’t want to be the wimpy suburban housewife of the group. 😛

I alternate the moderate with the hard days. I try to do the warm ups every day, but that’s only 5 or 10 minutes. On the hard days, it’s warms ups plus jumping rope, burpees (sloppy, but burpees none the less), running my stairs, up/downs (lie flat on your back, jump up, lie flat on your stomach, up, on your back, up, etc…), and overhead presses (I saw another class being forced to do this during cardio, so I thought I’d try it.).

I’m going to try some of the stuff suggested here. It’ll probably kill me.

garddawg

JohnL,
    You gave me an idea.
    1:00 mitt work
    20 Burpees
    19 Burpees
    etc….

Saturday mornings class is going to hate you.

johnl-d11

Re:

quote \”garddawg\:

JohnL,
    You gave me an idea.
    20 Burpees
    19 Burpees
    etc….

Saturday mornings class is going to hate you.

haha, glad to be of service.. 😆 My hams are hurtin today, along with my abs. Can’t wait to do this again tonight. 😯

garddawg

Here is another Burpee vid. Taken at the Co. State Patrol Academy:
    http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/burpee-race.wmv

JohnL,
    Here is a WOD we did at Brand X.

Rounds of 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
    35# Dumbbell Burpee Hang Squat Clean Thruster
    Pull ups
    20# Slam Ball

ugly workout, my time was 14:30.

johnl-d11

Whats the #20 slam ball involve doing?

garddawg

These are D balls. Medicine balls that don’t bounce.
    http://www.d-ball.com/

In a squat position grab the dball
    Clean it and press it overhead as you stand up
    Slam it into the ground as you return to a squat position
    Repeat faster and harder

Here is a vid combining slam ball and wall ball

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/rage-ball.rmvb

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: