Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Got myself a wavemaster today. Best part, the price!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    usnavy-233

A new studio just opened for business just over 1 mile from my house. They’re teaching Aikido, Tai Chi, and KM with a fight class starting soon. Since this place is so close to me, I started doing some research on KM and I’ve decided to take them up on their free trial class. I’m in pretty good shape right now and I exercise routinely. My class is on the 27th and if I like it (if it’s a practical SD class and not some Mc-dojo cardio-kickboxing set-up) I plan on taking 2-4 classes a week starting in Jan. So, is there anything particular I should be thinking about before I go to this class? Any specific type of exercise I should learn that I might not already know? I’m pretty well versed in both calisthenics and cardio but just want to make sure I’ve got all my bases covered before I get to the class. Thanks in advance.
    -Walt

karlhungus

Sounds like you will be just fine. It is difficult, but nothing TOO crazy. Just check it out and then you will be able to determine what your shortcomings are, and what you need to focus on.

tough-girl

Know that you won’t be able to predict what will happen, even based on what your instructors tell you will happen. Case in point: my second class, we did a dogpile-type exercise where we laid on the floor and had five people lay on top of us, at angles. We were then to work our way out. To make it more reasonable, we were told not to trap eachothers’ feet…my feet got trapped, I was told to figure it out, as there aren’t rules in a fight for my life. My first class was more tame, only eventful thing there was getting sat on by a guy 100lbs my senior and having to buck him off repeatedly, when at first I was expecting my same-size partner to be on top of me.

lor

Re:

tough girl ~ \”Know that you won’t be able to predict what will happen…\”

That’s the truth. I’ve stopped trying to predict what we’re going to work on in class because I’m always wrong.

If you work out on your own time, you should be in decent shape to handle the conditioning involved. You’ll be tired, but you’ll probably enjoy it. Let us know how it goes! 😀

jl

in shape or not

Hey Navy,

Don’t worry too much about the cardio. It sounds as though you have been keeping yourself up. Pay attention in class, go at the speed you’re comfortable with and have a good time. You will feel accomplishment when you leave. Oh and bring an extra t-shirt to change into…you’ll need it! 😉

usnavy-233

Thanks for all the good tips. I’m looking forward to the class. It should be interesting. I’ll definitely bring plenty of water and an extra t-shirt, especially since I’ll probably jog to and from the class.

kravmdjeff

Just keep an open mind and work hard, because it’ll be more fun that way.

karlhungus

Re:

quote \”usnavy_233\:

Thanks for all the good tips. I’m looking forward to the class. It should be interesting. I’ll definitely bring plenty of water and an extra t-shirt, especially since I’ll probably jog to and from the class.

Let us know how the jog home from your first class goes. It really shouldn’t be a problem, but I know that the first class us usually pretty tough, so I am curious 😀

tough-girl

Could be the easiest thing ever…I felt light as air after my first class, given that I’d just had 230lbs removed from my body 😆

usnavy-233

\”….230 lost from my body\” LOL 🙂
    I only have about 135 pounds on my body to begin with! I’ll keep you guys (and gals) posted as to how the first class goes. I’ll be honest, I’m one of those sick individuals who actually enjoys an intense (kick in the ass) work-out. I’m just a glutton for punishment I suppose. Hopefully it will be all and more that I’m hearing it is.
    -Walt

tough-girl

I weighed 120-125lbs, so I understand 🙂

usnavy-233

I’ve been notorious for staying the same weight. I’ve weighed 133-135 since 2001. I’ve weight trained, ran 20 miles a week, did absolutely nothing but eat as much chocolate as possible for months straight, nothing ever changes. Man I love being me! 😀

tough-girl

I’ve gained about 8lbs since starting powerlifting training and eating 6-7x/day in June. Still the same size, so no complaints 😀

usnavy-233

Tough Girl,
    How long have you been doing KM now? I’m asking because I’m curious as to how it fairs with a smaller framed person. I’ve done allot of training in the military, and I’ve noticed that allot of people put too much emphasis on size and brut strength when they should be focusing on techinigue. What are your thoughts about how KM works with smaller/lighter people?
    -Walt

tough-girl

Technique is emphasised, although brute force is needed. I went in with brute force, they’re coercing technique out of me 😆
    It’s designed to be effective for all body types, some of the techniques need to be adjusted for them to work properly with a size discrepency, but they’ll work. And really, if you screw up and just brute-force it, and you put the person on the floor four feet away from you, it’s not the best thing in the world, but maybe they’ll decide it’s not worth attacking you anymore, or at a minimum you’ve got a couple of seconds to figure something out while they’re going down and getting back up. Bigger they are, harder they fall 😈
    Oh, and I’ve been doing Krav for a year now. Gotten much better about not screwing up, only push people around when I mean to, now 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: