Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How long did you stay in level 1??

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    unstpabl1

Re: How long did you stay in level 1??

quote lions2011:

to Unspt

Why are you asking me in a slightly “challenging tone”. I am just a martial arts hobbist . I am not a fighter, coach or trainner.

I just stated that I think I could solid year at level 1 would be good for me. I know some people who go to level 2 in 3-4 months. I think for me a year is what I need. What do you mean I may regret this?? lol

I am a 35 year old male. Very good shape and lean. Tad too skinny but working on that and overall nice guy.
    I did boxing in college and just started back in the Martial arts and I am lovnig every minute it.

A couple reasons not the least being that “MY” time is very valuable to me and I’m particular about who I invest my time in trying to help these days.

Another is that i see you making some classic beginner mistakes and if I can help I’d like to,

Also because in reading your posts you seem to have some real strong opinions on what’s effective and why. I’m curious on what it’s based on. For example you’d be surprised at the differences between how BJJ is taught at different schools and I’m not sure I’ve seen one that doesn’t do no gi. Not saying it doesn’t exist…just not the norm

I also had you pegged at about 16. Seeing your an adult I’ll talk to you as one. I’m direct but want to help. So take it as that

There are tons of different styles all have their strengths and weakness. At the beginning stages it’s hard to figure out whats what. Information overload

Beginners at anything DON”T KNOW WHAT THEY DON”T KNOW. The problem is that they think they do because they read a book or saw UFC or took a few classes . The real problem is that is what gets in their way. when starting something we really have to do our research 1st, then make a true decision. A decision requires a commitment which means cutting off any other possibility till we’re sure it’s either the right or wrong path

Every new student has 1 foot out the door for the 1st 6 months to a year. There are many reasons for that such as the grass is always greener on the other side or it’s tough work. And teachers need to realize rhis as well. But a teacher can only show you what you can grasp and are capable of at the moment. Krav’s Levels are extremely well thought out in this regard

The 1st thing one has to decide is WHY am I training. Not only the typical answers of to get in shape or to be a bad ass but directly what is the focus of the training. Many guys want to compete, some just want to w/o among fighters others look at REALITY BASED SELF DEFENSE, others are literally play acting.

Basically Rules or No Rules. Remember no matter what you choose you can expand on later but for now you want to lay a strong foundation down in a base system

Taking 2 days of MT a week seems a little redundant and off focus to me. MT is basically a stand up delivery system with rules and weight classes. The diffences in the standup delivery system of krav and MT are neglegible at best and krav has no rules or weight classes and deals with multiples, weapons, ground etc

In fact CJ’s Dad use to take guys from KMSO to regularly fight Thai guys adapting the krav game to rules. Many krav instructors compete mma and recieved BB in sport systems after. Easier to learn other systems with a good solid base. Krav will give you that base but keep your FOCUS street self defense

However if at 35 your even considering competing in MT or mma then that is where your energy should be directed instead of wasting time with weapon training, multiples etc that is krav or other RBSD system

You’d be better off taking FIGHT class and mastering the craft of krav otherwise

deciding on how long to take a level either short or long is pretty common . Some seem to really overestimate their capabilities others the opposite. Level 1 from my understanding serves a couple purposes. It’s pretty much boot camp…general conditioning and basic techniques which you’ll build upon the rest of your krav life. However it’s really not that overly technical. I’d guess the average time for L1 is about 3-6 months

I think the hardest goal is to keep showing up and emptying our cup to be receptive enough togrow. Setting a goal to start of what days are you going to work out and being consistent with that leads to daily goals of personal improvements. Its ever changing….fluid.

I never think about testing just getting stronger. I suspect you’ll know when it’s time internally. If not ask an instructor you take regular class with..he’ll tell

Your in a really fundamentally sound self defense system. People bet their lives on the training everyday. If it’s not for you, you’ll know in a while. But remember there is always going to be another instructor out there with his version of the Ultimate in Combat. krav is proven and available

Hope this helps. Good luck

hicklinc

quote lions2011:

to Unspt
    Um..I’m gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here. hopefully I won’t regret it. So I’m going to ask 2 questions and see how it goes

How old are you? And why to both of the above?

Why are you asking me in a slightly “challenging tone”. I am just a martial arts hobbist . I am not a fighter, coach or trainner.

I just stated that I think I could solid year at level 1 would be good for me. I know some people who go to level 2 in 3-4 months. I think for me a year is what I need. What do you mean I may regret this?? lol

I am a 35 year old male. Very good shape and lean. Tad too skinny but working on that and overall nice guy.
    I did boxing in college and just started back in the Martial arts and I am lovnig every minute it.

i think a year is a bit excessive and you will want to move on when you want to learn new stuff but i hear stories about people who should have failed a test because of technic but pass because of fighting spirt etc.. i dont want that to be me if i dont have good technic i dont want to be invited to test but thats just me

unstpabl1

quote hicklinc:

i think a year is a bit excessive and you will want to move on when you want to learn new stuff but i hear stories about people who should have failed a test because of technic but pass because of fighting spirt etc.. i dont want that to be me if i dont have good technic i dont want to be invited to test but thats just me

The question becomes at that point is a system technique or princple driven. All techniques look good under no stress, look at EPAK, but add the chaos and the exhaustion and the blood and the guts LOL and it’s princples and fighting spirit that drive a fighter

Krav is a princple driven system with a primary focus on pure aggression and operating under stress not pure techniques. At least that is my take on it and why I like the system inspite of the techniques sometimes ;0) So maybe that is the attribute their testing for and not art. I could be wrong though. happened 1 time before ;0)

Its probably me though as I could care less about Level or belt testing but I understand those that do

good conversationthumbsup

bradm

” I could be wrong though. happened 1 time before ;0)”

What! Mike, you were wrong once?? Just kidding. Me, I made a mistake once too – I thought I was wrong, but I was right. ;o — also kidding

unstpabl1

Hi Brad. I think I miswrote that as i type really slow and was in a hurry. It should’ve read I may have been right once. Hope your well

Sean that phrase is foeever etched in my mind:woohoo: but I understand the context

Lion, reread my post. Was in a hurry and a line came out a tad askew. I assumed you were much younger. My fault. I however wasn’t taking a shot by the comment on age. If you took it that it’s my error

hicklinc: Shortly after posting here to you a cop friend and older successful mma competitor posted a link to a documentry on Youtube about a SEason of IOWA Wrestling. Awesome. It was shot 2002 and at the time Iowa had won 21 National titles in 27 years. The thread he posted it to was a discussion on how amazing the physical prowess of NFL prospects at the combine. The discussion moved to whether these prospects would blow thru mmma ranks due to the physical attributes and what effect fighting spirit had

The doc kept talking about THE IOWA STYLE “where technique takes a back seat to brutality(physical force) . I just found it intersting in context to this discussion…be well

lions2011

Ok no problem unstp.

I am doing krav for street self defense only. I am not trying to fight in a ring or cage.
    My main focus will be krav. I thought by adding 2 hours of MT in the summer time will enhance my strikes only.

I want to spend the entire year in level 1 and try to have as perfect technique as possible along with plenty of timeto work on it
    I rather be a good level 1 guy than an medicore level 2 guy.

I am not interested in weapon defense at all just hand to handto combat only. I know krav after level 1 starts to shift more into weapons.
    I may try some BJJ next year to enhance my ground work.

lions2011

to unstp some km schools offer the Bas MMA system that focuses on no-gi grappling. Looks more simplified and easier to learn than BJJ. Also takes striking into effect too. Plus they structure the program just like KM is taught.

BJJ I tried 10 yrs ago and had a terrible time. The instructor was teaching all over the place. I found it very complicated and hard to grasp. Plus the GI does not seem realstic. Being tall and skinny and having guys who are 60-80 pounds bigger than you on top of you is not fun either lol

I know bJJ is a great system but it can be very hard to grasp. This is especially true if you dont have a wrestling background

My main goal is for street but my biggest goal is no major injuries in class

hicklinc

quote lions2011:

Ok no problem unstp.

I am doing krav for street self defense only. I am not trying to fight in a ring or cage.
    My main focus will be krav. I thought by adding 2 hours of MT in the summer time will enhance my strikes only.

I want to spend the entire year in level 1 and try to have as perfect technique as possible along with plenty of timeto work on it

I am not interested in weapon defense at all just hand to handto combat only. I know krav after level 1 starts to shift more into weapons.

you need to find a good no gi instructor who can help you with more self defense than ring bjj

unstpabl1

quote lions2011:

Ok no problem unstp.

All training is beneficial. Just not sure the extra cash for the MT is necessary. Gets expensive in LA.

There is a big part of me that likes your mentality of perfecting the fundamentals before moving on. Many race thru to get to the good stuff not realizing the importance of the structure. we’re adults and we want it all now. On the other hand from being here awhile I’m not sure that the perfection of the craft is what L1 is about. I may be wrong and an instructor will correct me

you have to do what feels right for you. Maybe find an instructor you like and take class with regularly and the 2 of you decide when the time is right. Other than that let go of the timetables and strive to get better each day. MaraJades earlier advice was susicnt as usual. The daily work IS the reward not the certificate thumbsup

Street self defense is weapon defense…or better yet is Reality Based SD is weapon defense. we are a tool using animal and if not for our ability to make tools we’d be food :dunno: If you heard an intruder in your house would you go empty handed to stop him from entering your daughters bedroom? Think he’s unarmed?

Hopefully we never ever need this and the benifits are health but it’s better to be prepared

be well

Mike

unstpabl1

quote lions2011:

to unstp some km schools offer the Bas MMA system that focuses on no-gi grappling. Looks more simplified and easier to learn than BJJ. Also takes striking into effect too. Plus they structure the program just like KM is taught.

BJJ I tried 10 yrs ago and had a terrible time. The instructor was teaching all over the place. I found it very complicated and hard to grasp. Plus the GI does not seem realstic. Being tall and skinny and having guys who are 60-80 pounds bigger than you on top of you is not fun either lol

I know bJJ is a great system but it can be very hard to grasp. This is especially true if you dont have a wrestling background

My main goal is for street but my biggest goal is no major injuries in class

I understand what your saying. you like more structure to the learning process. filipino martial arts are like that too. Different instructors teach differently so you can find one that better suits your modality of learning. I have a very close friend who i don’t train with because he blitzes thru lessons so i get it. I worked out for 6 weeks with a friend of CJ’s Dad and he taught only 2 techniques a class. I loved his class

I don’t agree with you on the gi/no gi thing but thats a long discussion and outside of my comfort zone. But i definitely agree with you about having any guy straddling me. :tantrum:The guys at Total Protection Interactive forum are hving an offshoot discussion on gi/no gi and RBSD at the moment. When those guys talk I tend to STFU. You may want to check them out

No major injuries is an awesome goal. Count me in. At my age justing showing up hurts

kmman

some people, like myself, have test avoidance and justify staying in level I longer. Others can’t wait to get he next “belt” and rush it. Obviously neither is the best approach. The best approach in my opinion is to just work hard and your instructors will tell you. I never ask, I just let them tell me.

In asking “what works” thats what everyone asks. Boxing, MT, Judo, BJJ and others all “work”. I truly believe that Krav puts everything together in he best way for me. If I were training for the MMA I might seek out a top MT instructor and a top BJJ instructor but for self defense and fitness, Krav seems to be perfect.

Most or a lot of MMA guys have a very very successful college wrestling background. Thats a great base to have.

If I were a LEO or just a person looking for solid SD (which I am) I would stick with Krav.

lions2011

I agree dont want to rush it at all.

I think it is better to have 80 percent profientcy at level 1 rather than rushing to level 2 with just 50-60 percent profiency and learning another 50 new moves.

I find on youtube they have some really good trainning tools. There is some good krav maga videos from the Dragon, Jarrett and Wayne Miller that has really helped me.

Yes some people I noticed in class really want to get out of level 1 fast.

tzrider

It may vary with the school, but I’ve found that beyond level 1 we get coaching on more of the details of striking. The mechanics of the strikes are close, but we’re fine tuning hand position and keeping the body relaxed up until the point of impact. In level 1, some of this stuff was like getting out the sandpaper before you’d made the cut, if you know what I mean.

endy22

I know what your saying. you like more framework to the studying procedure. philippine fighting styles are like that too. Different trainers educate in a different way so you will see one that better matches your method of studying. I have a very good buddy who i don’t practice with because he blitzes thru training so i get it. I exercised for 6 several weeks with a buddy of CJ’s Dad and he trained only 2 methods a category.

jjb

quote lions2011:

I agree dont want to rush it at all.

That’s what it is all about, sir.

Knowing yourself is perhaps one of the most crucial unspoken traits of a good practitioner, in my opinion. So many people waltz in these schools and fixate on timelines and how to adapt to them. When you’re ready, you’re ready.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: