Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How long does it take for body to acclimate to grueling workouts?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    stanmc

I’m 47, in decent (not great but not bad) shape and started krav maga training three weeks ago. I train twice a week for an hour. I also do light resistance training 2 or 3 times a week.

My question: how long does it take (generally speaking) for one’s body to adjust to the workouts? The training is brutal and I find myself somewhat uncomfortable for a day or two afterwards. Of course the workouts are always different so my body is shocked each time.

I’m not complaining. I love the work. I’m just curious if the level of post workout discomfort ever diminishes.

I would appreciate any insight.

bear34

Re: How long does it take for body to acclimate to grueling workouts?

quote StanMc:

I’m 47, in decent (not great but not bad) shape and started krav maga training three weeks ago. I train twice a week for an hour. I also do light resistance training 2 or 3 times a week.

My question: how long does it take (generally speaking) for one’s body to adjust to the workouts? The training is brutal and I find myself somewhat uncomfortable for a day or two afterwards. Of course the workouts are always different so my body is shocked each time.

I’m not complaining. I love the work. I’m just curious if the level of post workout discomfort ever diminishes.

I would appreciate any insight.

Welcome to Krav Maga Stan. It’s fun isn’t it? I’m 48 and I have to say that for about 5 hours after class I feel like I’m 25 again. The endorphins take care of all the arthritic pains that I live with. Then of course I wake up the next morning and move like the Tin Woodsman. If you don’t have any medical conditions or lingering injuries from your youth you will get better, faster, stronger and more flexible as the months go on. Don’t be a hero. If you need to step out, for God’s sake step out. You aren’t there to impress anyone and no one wants to have to give you CPR during class. If you are as lucky as I am, you will end up with a group that becomes more and more like a family as you train together. Last night while sparring my young friend reminded me to tuck my chin. The next time I stuck my neck out he popped me one. I thanked him for the lesson and kicked him in the nuts. Damn, Krav is fun!!!!!!:beer:

stanmc

Thanks Thanks for the encouagement Bear! I know what you mean about the first few hours. After that it’s downhill but two days later I’m ready for another workout.

celtickm

Welcome Stan, I will also be very interested to hear the responses to your question as I sit here at my desk at work with pains in various places (this week just below both arm pits!).

I am doing Krav exactly the same length of time even though I only go to one 1.5 hr class a week and I always seem to have the aches in different places like my body starts to crumble in a place that wasnt exercised before. I’m hoping I’m running out of places to hurt now 🙂

Straight after Krav my mind is so clear its weird and feels great especially for someone who never goes to the gym but then normally about 24hrs after I start to get the real aches. My friend who is a fitness instructor said this was known as DOMS which after reading I can really relate to and is something I had never heard of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

He also recommends to everyone in his gym class to buy a Magnesium spray to apply both before and after his class and I think this has really helped me. I say I think as I dont know is it the spray or my gradual improvement in fitness (and me now holding back more in class as bear34 suggested) but where I have put it on this week isnt as sore as before. Maybe a coincidence but I dont think this is some hippy stuff either after reading about it. Here is the place i got it from in the UK so you can see the bottle. Guess its in the US somewhere too.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=2310

To the more advance students here. In terms of months and years, how long before these classes arent so painful when doing 1.5-2 hrs a week for moderately fit people?

stuartf

I think the answer to this will vary from person to person, as it depends on your starting fitness level. I have found though that exercising a muscle that has DOMS symptoms will typically relieve the pain (ie if your thigh/quads hurt do a few squats). Also proper hydration and nutrition seem to help prevent DOMS.

stanmc

quote CelticKM:

Welcome Stan, I will also be very interested to hear the responses to your question as I sit here at my desk at work with pains in various places (this week just below both arm pits!).

I am doing Krav exactly the same length of time even though I only go to one 1.5 hr class a week and I always seem to have the aches in different places like my body starts to crumble in a place that wasnt exercised before. I’m hoping I’m running out of places to hurt now 🙂

Straight after Krav my mind is so clear its weird and feels great especially for someone who never goes to the gym but then normally about 24hrs after I start to get the real aches. My friend who is a fitness instructor said this was known as DOMS which after reading I can really relate to and is something I had never heard of.

Thanks, CelticKM!

My soreness sets in the morning after a workout. Yesterday I was pretty sore. Today I feel fine with a little tightness in my chest and shoulders as we worked on striking quite a bit Tuesday night. Tomorrow that should all be cleared up and I’ll be ready to start the cycle over again Saturday morning.

Isn’t this fun?!

stanmc

quote stuartf:

I think the answer to this will vary from person to person, as it depends on your starting fitness level. I have found though that exercising a muscle that has DOMS symptoms will typically relieve the pain (ie if your thigh/quads hurt do a few squats). Also proper hydration and nutrition seem to help prevent DOMS.

I think I’ll change my schedule to lift the day after, rather than before, krav maga. Perhaps that will help with the soreness.

I had been doing it before because I was too beat the day after to even think about lifting. Now I’ll try lifting with a different, added purpose.

Thanks for the tip!

resqr1

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. After that, never neglect the proper use of Krav Candy (ibuprofen).

stanmc

quote resqr1:

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. After that, never neglect the proper use of Krav Candy (ibuprofen).

Now that I think about it I didn’t hydrate Tuesday. Krav Candy…too funny!

brewmasher

I’m 52 and was in terrible shape when I started KM 2 months ago. It is starting to get slightly easier. There are some days when I am not sore after a workout, but it is not the norm. I have let the instructors know that my aging knees are not going to take the jumping squats and the stair running. I pay good money to train, and I am not going to miss classes because of self inflicted knee pain.

I notice the fitness improvements in other areas in my life. I am having fun participating in physical activity that 2 months ago I would have just passed on. I am just going to do the best I can, and let fitness take it’s course.

celtickm

Glad it is getting easier for you brewmasher. I do hydrate a bit more on the day of training but the rest of the week I am pretty bad at drinking lots of water normally. Suppose I drink a few cups of tea a day but maybe that doesnt count…

tzrider

I’m 50 and have been training twice a week for a little over two years. My fitness level improved fairly quickly in the first six months of training and then seemed to plateau for quite some time. It was a level I could live with in training and I didn’t give it too much thought.

This past winter, I began some extra training for a ski tour across the Sierra Nevada. Along with the usual Krav routing, I started running three miles three or four times a week. I also lost about 35 pounds dieting.

The result was spectacular in Krav. My fitness level was much higher than it had been and where I could really tell the difference was in my fitness level and energy relative to the guys I’ve been training with. They are all significantly younger and where we had been at a rough parity before, I could outlast them on most exercises and drills after the extra training.

It seems that the body will respond in kind to the demands we place on it.

stanmc

Thanks for that, tzrider. My endurance has already improved somewhat. I think I’ll add a bit of cardio.

bear34

quote tzrider:

I’m 50 and have been training twice a week for a little over two years. My fitness level improved fairly quickly in the first six months of training and then seemed to plateau for quite some time. It was a level I could live with in training and I didn’t give it too much thought.

This past winter, I began some extra training for a ski tour across the Sierra Nevada. Along with the usual Krav routing, I started running three miles three or four times a week. I also lost about 35 pounds dieting.

The result was spectacular in Krav. My fitness level was much higher than it had been and where I could really tell the difference was in my fitness level and energy relative to the guys I’ve been training with. They are all significantly younger and where we had been at a rough parity before, I could outlast them on most exercises and drills after the extra training.

It seems that the body will respond in kind to the demands we place on it.

Congrats. Keep it up. I wish young people would listen when us oldsters tell them that it’s easier to stay in shape than it is to get back in to shape. I’m down about 12lbs since the start of the month on the Slow Carb diet. Progress really has a snowball effect. I’m feeling and looking better, therefore I want more “good” food, more Krav, more exercise at home. You folks might want to consider sandbag work. It has really helped my functional strength and my balance is like it was when I was 20.

This may help …

http://www.tigerbalm.com/us

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: