Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How to keep the body going at a high training pace

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    leam

Okay, long thread in the Welcome forum leads to this. Ryan has a L-1 Instructors Apprentice A test in early Feburary. I’d like to make it. My body is not ready. What can I do to keep myself physically functional at an accelerated pace for the next 60 days?

1. Hydration
    2. Stretching
    3. A day of rest between building workouts.
    3.a. Do you need a day or rest after a cardio workout?
    4. Light aerobics like walking outside of the classes to help the body stay active, move cellular waste, and not tighten up.
    5. Multi-vitamins.
    6. Visits to the chiropracter.

What else?

Leam

leejam99

Re: How to keep the body going at a high training pace

listen to you body. don’t over do it for the sake of pushing your self. pushing your self is good but your body will tell you when it has had enough…listen to it and rest so that you can recoup and do it again.

raneman

Push-ups and situps in the morning to get the heart pumping. Also are good for your upper body strength and core. A strong core will help tremendously with your back

stevetuna

Six easy steps:

1.) Go to gym;
    2.) Put on Bas Rutten’s All Around Fighting CD;
    3.) Go hard for five or so rounds, making all the sprawls;
    4.) Put on the 28-minute All Around Workout CD;
    5.) Go hard for 28 minutes (trying not to throw up on the nice mats);
    6.) Do it at least three times per week.

That got me ready for phase (along with my normal class workouts). I hope that this helps!

emil

I concur with Steve, Bas helped me for phase.
    The first thing I would do is to know exactly why you want to be an instructor. Once you have your mind set-don’t stop for anything. I told myself before I went that I am leaving as instructor and that’s it!
    Go to as many classes as you can. Even if you don’t participate-watch the instruction. Watch for the key points, how everything was broken down. The teaching part was the hardest to master. Write it down in a diary.
    Rest! You should get more than 8 hours of sleep per day, if you can take naps between training. Two weeks or so before phase turn down any hard sparring, but keep up you conditioning and technique-you don’t want to go into training hurt.
    Focus on interval training, because phase is like that, lots of high intensity work with breaks to listen to instruction. Just think-what will I be doing in phase? Punching, kicking, moving explosively etc-and that should be your training. Don’t waste your time with weights or long runs at this point. You should be running sprints, doing punch out drills on the bag, burpees, etc.
    remember everyone gets tired, but the fit ones recover faster. I would also add a day or two of yoga to work on muscle balance and injury prevention.
    the last week before you leave, turn down everything, in other words don’t worry about pushing your limit, just maintain.If you did your homework, you should already be there condition wise, but you need to let your body be rested before phase.

quote leam:

3.a. Do you need a day or rest after a cardio workout?

I think it really depends on the person and what kind of cardio you are doing. I used to do fast, varried terrain 4-8 mile runs 4-5 days a week and take the weekends off. It hurt like hell, but it made me one tough bastard. Unfortunately, now I have a lot of knee and back problems.

If you have been working on your cardio for a while and you’re keeping it light to a light jog/bike/eliptical/etc, you should be able to do it 6 days a week. If you’re running and pushing yourself, I would definately recomend a day break between. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do cardio, but you should keep it a bit lighter to give your body some time to heal. As leejam said, listen to what your body is telling you.

J-

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I think for me one of the most important factors was not only my physical state but the support of my family and business partner.

As tough as it was on me I know I was a bear to deal with while I was going through phase. Its really important to have a positive mental attitude and be free of distractions so you can focus on the task at hand. It takes me a while sometimes especially if its an early class to clear my mind of the stress from work that day and I really need to work hard sometime to focus on whats going on.

Theres no time for that in phase, as such a good suggestion might be to plan on a week of mental solitude from the gf/wife/kids and work.

Just a thought to make sure your heads on straight before during and after.

Going into it with the right frame of mind is especially important

emil

Leam, I’ll be honest with you, if you’re just getting into Krav and have a some other health issues you have to work through, perhaps this is not best time to aim for an instructor apprentice program. These tend to be very tough, physically and mentally challenging. May be you could give yourself some time in the program, to get your conditioning together before you jump into an apprenticeship? For now just enjoy training as a student, learning and mastering how to defend yourself. Once you have the techniques down pat, can go through a few classes in a row and Ryan feels that you’re ready, then it’s time to think about teaching.

garddawg

You have 6 weeks:
    ‘CrossFit’

johnl-d11

quote garddawg:

You have 6 weeks:
    ‘CrossFit’

Agreed..

I’ve been going to a crossfit gym 3-4 times a week, along with my Krav training and BJJ.. I can tell in the short time that I am stronger, faster and able to recover very quick after a hard drill.

leam

Spent a little time going over the Workout of the Day and some of the other CrossFit stuff. Looks pretty good though I have to figure out what a lot of the motions mean.

“Buttercups R Us” :wav:

Leam

nixxon

Crossfit can kind be be complicated and a bit too hard for people unfamiler with the olympic style movements. You can go to http://www.simplefit.com, it has a scaleable workout program there that is decent to get your pushup, situp and pullup numbers up to prepare yourself for the volume of crossfit.

Make sure you eat and sleep enough since those are huge components of recovery. Also there is a supplement called ZMA (Zinc, Magnesieum) which aids in increasing testosterone levels (shorter recovery times, faster muscle building, deeper more restful sleep). ZMA is pretty cheap, don’t buy the one at GNC, bodybuilding.com has a bottle for like $7.99…. I’ve taken it and known people to also take it.. only side effect is wierd dreams, possibly due to being a deeper sleep for a longer amount of time.

wyatt9696

First off, I wouldn’t rush it. If you’re not in decent shape for Phase A you’ll regret it. Can you get in top shape in 6-8 weeks? Maybe. You need to be at the top of your game, or your just looking for a problem. Your also looking for a potential injury due to overtraining. Personally I’d try and go when you’re not on such a rushed schedule. I’ve done what you’re trying to do, and believe me, it’s not the smartest thing to do. Give yourself a chance, and do it right.

Now since you’re probably going to go anyway, i’d do some heavy cardio, mainly doing the bas rutten workout tapes.(cd’s) they will simulate some of your phase training. I’d definitely start with the all-around workout. do a shitload of push-ups and crunchs. i’d do that in the am, and do the boxing or thai boxing tapes later in the day. also running on a treadmill or outside before you do your workout will help loosen you up as well as get your cardio up. Stretch really good before and after your workout. since you’re going at an accellerated pace, you need to make sure you’re loose, or you’ll rip something. good luck with your training. let us know how you make out. Oh, try and attended your normal Krav classes as well. go through all the yellow belt stuff, as well as as much orange belt as poss. mainly concentrate on the yellow though. try and do some mock teaching as well.

quote wyatt9696:

also running on a treadmill or outside before you do your workout will help loosen you up as well as get your cardio up. Stretch really good before and after your workout.

Great advice Wyatt! Just a couple things to add.

1. Most people think that warm-up cardio means doing a full cardio workout. THIS IS NOT THE CASE!!! You want to do AT LEAST 5 minutes, but you don’t want to push it too far. The goal is to get your blood pumping and your muscles warmed up. If you smoke yourself before your workout, you’re not going to have enough energy to go all out after the warm-up. This doesn’t replace cardio, though. You should do your actual cardio exercise after you’re done with your workout or space it out a few hours. Whatever you can handle.

2. Stretching is the biggest thing I see people screwing up. Most people know how to stretch pretty much every muscle they’re going to use, but they have some pretty counter-productive habits. Stretching before you work out is optional. It helps, but the warm-up is going to get you to where you need to be. When you are stretching after your workout, you should allow about 15 minutes. Stretch every muscle group you used for 15 seconds, move to the other side (if you’re stretching an extremity), then repeat. Basicly, you should stretch each muscle two times for 15 seconds each time.

Maybe you already knew this and I’m wasting my time, but hopefuly you get something out of it!

J-

unstpabl1

Why is this instructors thing even on your radar? If you had enough expirience in other systems to be an instructor, then you know how silly this whole thing sounds. whats the real point….Ego:dunno: You haven’t earned your right to stand up in front of a class and teach krav…yet. You only walked in Ryan’s door 2 days ago. If I’m gonna go off about 16 year old instructors( Old Post) I’m certainly not going to sugar coat this for anyone else.

someone may point out CJ’s Dad as an example of whats possible. Maybe but look at Sean’s frikken resume. His instructors list is a who’s who in kenpo. How many fighters has he cornered, taught or fought.

Didn’t you guys use to have at least a 2 year requirement in the system to even be considered for instructor?

You understand mechanics of fundamental kicks and punches. So what. That was then and this is now. And krav is an RBSD system. There is much to learn. And if that is a picture of you in your avatar, your body is simply not ready for the demandsof Phase. Christ you haven’t even passed level 1. I really don’t get it. Why do people think they can go years w/o taking care of themselves and turn it around in a month. If you were ready to be an instructor, you’d know this and be ready to pass it on to others and be an inspiration. Until you heal your self, you ,you can’t help anyone else. If you had the knowledge…you wouldn’t be asking for advice on the net and trying to cram for a test like you were in 8th grade.

Am I jumping on you. Damn straight. Why is the more important question. I got better things to do than pick on you or start a net fight. Do you think I’m doing it to put you down or embarass you? Nope.

But because you are setting yourself up for failure. I know it. And I’m sure every instructor or coach knows it. And deep down…I know you know it as well. Train to improve yourself first. Help yourself Then train to help others. Because thats what being an instructor is about…helping others. You can’t give what you ain’t got:soapbox:

What happened to the days when the instructor told a student when they were ready for advancement. Everybody seems to think that we get to reap before we sow. Life doesn’t work that way

Leam get your health together my friend. Seriously. Become the inspiration then you can inspire thru action. thumbsupBut realize to be good at something takes time, trying to rush thigs just screws it up. Think of what happens if a little girl breaks open a cacoon to early because she want to see the butterfly. She kills it. Push your body without proper recovery. It will breakdown.

I really do wish you the best of luck with this. Honest. But I’m worried about your health and to be honest I find the thought process of you becoming an instructor in a month of training demeaning to krav. Its one of those posts that make outsiders squak about kMAA being watered down. Its like you don’t respect the system

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: