Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How to keep the body going at a high training pace

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    wyatt9696

Re: How to keep the body going at a high training pace

hi ryan, thanks for your input. isn’t leam your student? if so, has he contacted you regarding this situation? it seems that this is what he should have done right off the bat. maybe it would have avoided all the various opinions in the forum.

leam

I have NO problem with what has been said. Mike’s honesty might come across a bit caustic, but it triggered some of you to speak up for me. I find it hard to feel upset when I see new friends taking care of me. So that’s a positive.

Ryan just sent me a PM because I missed class this morning; he wanted to make sure everything was okay. I find it difficult to be frustrated when my instructor of two classes already notices my absence. Another positive.

When I first spoke to Ryan about the possibility of testing in Feb, he said it was possible, in theory. A lot of work, and no promises. He didn’t know me from Adam so he allowed for the chance without saying someone could learn the material to an instructor’s level in two months. I like the chance to succeed, even if failure is greatly possible.

As is, what many of us expected has come true, my back has given out and I can barely walk. I can’t really complain because it’s the natural consequence of the bad choices I’ve been making. Skipping exercise to read, and eating a high fat diet instead of a healthy one. Frustrating as all get out, but as natural as can be.

So I get to go back to square one and build my physical capabilities while learning what I can of Krav. I’m sold on the system and look forward to training with you all down the road.

Leam

unstpabl1

:soapbox: Well I knew my post would be contraversial. So EnGarde all:abx:

To understand the intent and purpose of my post, you have to look at the progression of his posts. All of them from the introduction to this thread. And then look at the progression of my posts in reply. I tried tact, before the post that upset some.

Leam, went from posting, that the hour long krav classes were way beyond his capabilities one day to literally fast tracking his way into instructor training the next.

He knew he needed to start slow and asked for advice…but… He took one class and decided it was full speed ahead. This is very common with new students till the rigors and the realities of hard training kick in. Unchecked enthusiasm can be dangerous when you don’t know what you don’t know yet

We gave him advice( me included:wav:) and even led him to some of the best respources on the net.

The next post is this one entitled “How To keep the Body Going At a High Training Pace” The real title was How can I make up for years of neglect and cram for an instructors class in 30 days or so. The answer is you can’t, not at 46 especially

The body requires Regeneration. It needs rest. Thats when you get stronger and skill sets gel.

So why didn’t I Sugar Coat it for Leam? Those who know my posts will tell you I’m not usually an assholerofl2(Mara Jade seems particularly disappointed. I still think she’s the mysterious sexy Mossad agent and a great greeter) Because…..(Cont)

raneman

Leam,

I have been following this thread and your responses and while your goal was ambitious, it was pretty inspiring to see you try(regardless of what consequences may go with it). I am the survivor of a back injury in a car accident that left me paralyzed from the waist down for a year(been 10 years now without back pain and I am stronger than ever). What gets you through and back on track is a goal and something to drive you to overcome that. While it sucks to hear you re-injured your back, it is just a matter of learning what that limitation was. You set a goal to push that limitation. I can respect that and I think many, if not all of the posters here do also. You have a setback but now you can re-evaluate and work back towards that goal and smashing that limitation. There has been some honest feedback here about concern that you wouldn’t make it. As valid as it might be, you had to try and that is the first step. Do not give up, my friend. You will get there, it just might take a little longer than anticipated

Pete

unstpabl1

I want Leam to succeed more than any of you. I know exactly where he’s coming from and even where the posts are coming from on the mentality side. I also from his response to my post on the other thread respected him enough not to coddle him or enable him by giving him more info without trying to change his thought process. AS we all know getting someone to change their mind is the hardest thing in the world. Some times being a friend means looking a guy in the eye and telling him he’s full of shit.

In this case time was of the essence, because the statistics are very high for new students quiting or getting injured in the first few months. Why? OVERTRAINING and UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS.

Deep down Leam knew he needed to go slow, but the 20 year old athlete in him was talking him out of it. I really didn’t want him to fail but knew he was headed for a problem. Some times you have to just have to say it straight forward.

Leam….Ryan is an excellent instructor and runs a really great program. You will do well there, but you have to train smarter than ever before in order to continue. Doing full boogie workouts everyday won’t work. Maybe later.

Go out and buy Mark Verstegen’s book “Core Performance” pay particular attention to the chapters on Regeneration, movement prep, Prehab and the Physioball section. Buy and use a Foam Roller…ouch…If you put this into your plan you’ll speed up recovery and start to heal old injuries, some you don’t even know about yet. Come up with a better plan. Present it here or to your instructor. Everybody has to crawl before they win a Gold Medal, but there are also steps in between

Good Luck. Keep training and keep posting, so I got something to lurk

Ryan…Thank you for your post and understanding where I’m coming from. I know Leam has found a great school and instructor. Thats 90% of the battle with this stuff. The other is what we’re thinking

mikethumbsup

vwr32

quote Ryan:

I’m actually surprised more people are not commenting in a similar vein.

While I’m not going to be the one to rain on someone’s parade… this time… the reason I refrained from addressing it is that we see this all too often. Simply learning the system isn’t an appealing option for some folks… they want to know how to fast track their way to upper levels or instantly want to be an instructor. I appreciate their desire to climb the Krav ladder, but it seems the students who aren’t patient enough to put some time in level one aren’t around very long for one reason or another. Maybe this isn’t one of those occasions, it’s just an observation.

I don’t know leam, but have been watching his posts. I had faith there are safeguards in place which would not place someone who wasn’t ready into a position of instruction. I figured if he made it, hey… he must be ready.

Leam, you said the one positive from this is that you could now identify friends who have come to your aid. I hope you rethink that position and include those people who tell you what they feel you need to hear… even if it isn’t pleasant. If we could put a sugar coating filter on his statements it would probably read: let your body catch up to your passion for krav while you put your time in, then consider your options when you’re in a better state. I can’t say I disagree with that.

As it is… there’s a reason unstpabl1 isn’t on the Welcoming Committee. But it’s not because he’s intentionally trying to flame people. I wish u speedy recover leam, and I sincerely hope you push yourself at a more realistic rate when you recover. I truly believe your age isn’t a factor here… as you stated, it’s the years of physical neglect. *Anyone* in that same boat has a few hurdles to clear. If later you decide training is sufficient and there’s no need to be an instructor, you’ll still be miles ahead of a lot of couch potatoes half your age.

Just my .02

unstpabl1

quote mara_jade:

“…I find the thought process of you becoming an instructor in a month of training demeaning to krav. Its one of those posts that make outsiders squak about kMAA being watered down. Its like you don’t respect the system”

You’re gonna tell me honestly THAT’S ok to say to anyone you don’t even know??? That’s the kind of stuff that keeps people from posting here.:(:

Yes Mara, I think it was extremely important to say.:):

I teach an art, not martial. There are tons of people teaching who simply don’t have the base to teach. Ever watch the audition for So You think You Can Dance. Every year a bunch of Dance instructors who can’t dance a lick show up. Yet they have screwed their students and charged them money for their instruction. I don’t mean kinda bad. I mean horrendous

I don’t want anyone teaching me something with a month of training under their belt. They have not had the time to internalize the system. You can’t teach what you can’t do, yet people try it all the time.

If I was a newb looking for a system and I saw postings about newbs going thru phase or any instructor training after 1 class…well I know I found a McDojo….Preception is everything

Though I don’t take Krav, I have promoted it on many forums and here. There are many here who can vouch for that. The biggest knock on KMAA is that its watered down and the instructors don’t have the foundation cause they were pushed thru phase to meet the demand. Even Darrens amount of training time is questioned. I’d be really offended if I was an instructor

So when someone takes a class and next day announces their going to an instructors course it’s not good for the forum or krav. It demeans instructors who busted their ass to get to phase and says to the general public that what you teach has little value or you might have need a whole 2 months to be an instructor

If you have respect for what your doing, you have it because of its value. Things of value are valuable because they don’t come cheaply or easily. I believe you have to earn the right to stand in front of a class. I learned that from the shitty teachers I had. When you teach you learn more from the expirience than your students, but without the base, the work, the time in, you can only regurgitate what someone else told you. thats not teaching..

When you respect something…your in it for the long hall

Besides thats why you make a great Welcoming Commitee and I wouldn’t:beer: Hope that helps

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

When I first walked into Krav I brought with me years of training, teaching and ring experience. In fact when I first met Mike I think I was teaching either Escrima or Knife fighting I don’t remember. And that was before I did phase.

But it wasn’t until John Whitman sat me down and gave me the “Transfer of Knowledge” conversation that I truly understood what it meant to be a KM instructor, the responsibility it carry’s and the expectation level that was being placed on me.

Theres so much more to it then simply regurgitating information I had to go back to square one and basically shelve much of what I had previously learned so I could have a clean slate for Krav Maga. Do I take some of those techniques off the shelf sometimes, sure but unless I can apply the principles to it theres no place for it in KM.

I share this because to me being a KM instructor means a tremendous amount of work and dedication.

Like Leam I hit the ground running with KM and never looked back and if he or anyone wants to someday wear the title Instructor in the KM system that’s what it’s going to take.

Just my .02

giant-killer

I’ll have to say, I understand what unstpabl is saying and have to agree with it. Sure, it was a tad blunt, but that just happens to be his style. :):

Learning a skill such as Krav Maga does take a while. You’ll need thousands of repetitions before you get really good at each exercise. Also, it’s good to work with many different kinds of people over weeks, months, even years. One intense week can’t really replace that kind of long term experience in my opinion. So better to train really hard as a student for a while, once you are in shape and more advanced it may be time to give instructor training a shot.

unstpabl1

quote Giant Killer:

. So better to train really hard as a student for a while, once you are in shape and more advanced it may be time to give instructor training a shot.

There is a progression from student to mastery of a subject, where the student in order to truely understand the subject and grow, must teach it. The depth of understanding will grow and evolve thru the struggle to comunicate and expand princples. But you can only get to that point by mastering the fundamentals and pressure testing it. Use yourself as the lab rat first, not your students. Without that foundation everything becomes as solid as a house of cards in a tornado. Repition is the mother of skill. Professionals are professionals because they drill the basics day in and day out year after year. Most don’t have the commitment

Brian Tracy said we have a success mechanism and a failure mechanism built in. Its a borrowed concept from Maltz’s PsychoCybernetics. We know when our failure mechanism is engaged by our natural tendency toward following the path of least resistence. However I think we engage it by not breaking our goals down into chewable sizes as well.. If I want to go to the bathroom I get there one step at a time. Yeah I can short the process by just peeing where I stand, but it creates more problems than just walking to the bathroom:OhMy: It actually creates hardship.

stevetuna

quote unstpabl1:

Brian Tracy said we have a success mechanism and a failure mechanism built in. Its a borrowed concept from Maltz’s PsychoCybernetics.

Another Brian Tracy fan here! He is an amazing source for anyone looking to turn themselves in a more positive direction.

(sorry for the hijack…)

unstpabl1

quote stevetuna:

Another Brian Tracy fan here! He is an amazing source for anyone looking to turn themselves in a more positive direction.

(sorry for the hijack…)

:wav:Hey Steve, been awhile. Happy Holiday

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: