Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How to keep the body going at a high training pace

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    vwr32

Re: How to keep the body going at a high training pace

I was afraid to see where u were going with the caccoon analogy…

unstpabl1

quote vwr32:

I was afraid to see where u were going with the caccoon analogy…

:chair: Bad v:):. Better when Iwas lurking huh:wav: Blame the Holidays and the strike

la-revancha

AÁaÌ! Jamba juice should have it.

And I agree with copious rounds of Bas.

And try to avoid injuries.

The way I understand apprentice training, there will be MORE scrutiny on your technique and instruction ability, considering your training is shorter than regular phase training.

I recently assisted in an apprentice training, and some of the most technical athletes who were lacking in these skills did not pass.

Therefore, aside from improving your conditioning, GET YOUR TEACHING SKILLS IN ORDER!!

I would try to get Ryan or any other of RHEK’s caliber instructors to watch you mock teach as much as possible. Granted, you’ll likely get a lot of criticism, and this can be awkward at first, but it will be worth it.

Good luck and keep us posted. And please give Muscat a baritone REBEL YELL for me next time you see him!

vwr32

quote unstpabl1:

:chair: Bad v:):. Better when Iwas lurking huh:wav: Blame the Holidays and the strike

Not at all.. always good to see u posting. :jerry:

You’re on strike?

unstpabl1

quote vwr32:

Not at all.. always good to see u posting. :jerry:

You’re on strike?

Writers. I’m just caught in the wake:abx:

vwr32

quote unstpabl1:

Writers. I’m just caught in the wake:abx:

Ahh, is that still going on? I don’t watch much tv (mostly just video podcasts anymore). I did happen to notice Jay Leno was a rerun the other night. Good time of year to have the most impact… bad time of year for everyone concerning holiday bills. I feel for everyone impacted by it.

maybe i should give u the widescreen hdtv I bought GK for christmas… will have to think about it

unstpabl1

quote vwr32:

Ahh, is that still going on? I don’t watch much tv (mostly just video podcasts anymore). I did happen to notice Jay Leno was a rerun the other night. Good time of year to have the most impact… bad time of year for everyone concerning holiday bills. I feel for everyone impacted by it.

maybe i should give u the widescreen hdtv I bought GK for christmas… will have to think about it

The Late night shows are coming back unscripted 2nd of Jan. Letterman is going to just negotiate seprately as its his company. Leno and OBrian have been paying the non writing staff out of pocket. Something like a 1/4 of a million a week each since it started. Personally I’m impressed…Its not their fault.

But what the Writers are fighting for is very important. And our contract and the directors expire in June. Same issues, so their setting the precident

mara-jade

quote unstpabl1:

Why is this instructors thing even on your radar? If you had enough expirience in other systems to be an instructor, then you know how silly this whole thing sounds. whats the real point….Ego:dunno: You haven’t earned your right to stand up in front of a class and teach krav…yet. You only walked in Ryan’s door 2 days ago. If I’m gonna go off about 16 year old instructors( Old Post) I’m certainly not going to sugar coat this for anyone else.

someone may point out CJ’s Dad as an example of whats possible. Maybe but look at Sean’s frikken resume. His instructors list is a who’s who in kenpo. How many fighters has he cornered, taught or fought.

Didn’t you guys use to have at least a 2 year requirement in the system to even be considered for instructor?

You understand mechanics of fundamental kicks and punches. So what. That was then and this is now. And krav is an RBSD system. There is much to learn. And if that is a picture of you in your avatar, your body is simply not ready for the demandsof Phase. Christ you haven’t even passed level 1. I really don’t get it. Why do people think they can go years w/o taking care of themselves and turn it around in a month. If you were ready to be an instructor, you’d know this and be ready to pass it on to others and be an inspiration. Until you heal your self, you ,you can’t help anyone else. If you had the knowledge…you wouldn’t be asking for advice on the net and trying to cram for a test like you were in 8th grade.

Am I jumping on you. Damn straight. Why is the more important question. I got better things to do than pick on you or start a net fight. Do you think I’m doing it to put you down or embarass you? Nope.

But because you are setting yourself up for failure. I know it. And I’m sure every instructor or coach knows it. And deep down…I know you know it as well. Train to improve yourself first. Help yourself Then train to help others. Because thats what being an instructor is about…helping others. You can’t give what you ain’t got:soapbox:

What happened to the days when the instructor told a student when they were ready for advancement. Everybody seems to think that we get to reap before we sow. Life doesn’t work that way

Leam get your health together my friend. Seriously. Become the inspiration then you can inspire thru action. thumbsupBut realize to be good at something takes time, trying to rush thigs just screws it up. Think of what happens if a little girl breaks open a cacoon to early because she want to see the butterfly. She kills it. Push your body without proper recovery. It will breakdown.

I really do wish you the best of luck with this. Honest. But I’m worried about your health and to be honest I find the thought process of you becoming an instructor in a month of training demeaning to krav. Its one of those posts that make outsiders squak about kMAA being watered down. Its like you don’t respect the system

Holy friggin smokes. You know I’m sorry to say this but I don’t agree with how you approached your response to him. There are BETTER ways to say it than to publically jump on him like he’s some sort of kid. :OhMy:

Leam – I admit your goal is quite ambitious. I myself along with hubby have been away for some time so I know a little about going in (in my case back in) being out of shape. February isn’t that far away really. Based on what I’ve read about you, this may be more than what you’re physically ready for. Talk to Ryan about your concerns and see what he tells you. What little I know of him, the man isn’t gonna B.S you whether it’s good or bad. To me, you are NOT disrespecting anyone. I personally don’t wanna see you get hurt if you’re not ready and then not come back, ok?.:):

Take care:wav:

vwr32

quote mara_jade:

I myself along with hubby have been away for some time

You keep saying that… are u planning on going back?

unstpabl1

quote mara_jade:

Holy friggin smokes. You know I’m sorry to say this but I don’t agree with how you approached your response to him. There are BETTER ways to say it than to publically jump on him like he’s some sort of kid. :OhMy:

Leam – I admit your goal is quite ambitious. I myself along with hubby have been away for some time so I know a little about going in (in my case back in) being out of shape. February isn’t that far away really. Based on what I’ve read about you, this may be more than what you’re physically ready for. Talk to Ryan about your concerns and see what he tells you. What little I know of him, the man isn’t gonna B.S you whether it’s good or bad. To me, you are NOT disrespecting anyone. I personally don’t wanna see you get hurt if you’re not ready and then not come back, ok?.:):

Take care:wav:

Mara Jade:): Do you think I’m being harsh or mean? I’m not really sure I’m talking down to Leam, but understand that I have a strong opinion on how I felt about the 2 threads. And I see how it might be taken that way

When someone posts asking for help, They’ll get all kinds of advice. Its up to them what to keep or ignore. Its open forum. From his intial post to this one I think he’s making a huge error in judgement and is going counter productive to his intial goals. I would be harsher on him if we were sitting face to face :): Doesn’t mean I don’t like him

What good does it do to set a goal then rescrew up his back. Or at 46 and 260lbs put himself at risk of a heart attack. On top of which do you want instructors with 2 months of training:dunno: Do you think instructors should have time in the system or should krav go the Mcdojo way and put anyone on the instructor fast track by charging more monthly and selling the assistant instructor tab on the Tshirt

Everybody starts a martial Art with visions of kicking ass and the black belt. The percentage who follow thru is very small. Re comitting to a fitness program is a big deal. When your an older martial artist you have to train smarter because your body lacks the elasticisity. Recovery is of utmost import. How do I know…..Because I’ve made the mistake

I think he’ll be a great addition to krav and an instructor if he choses. I just think in no uncertain terms that passing Level 3 might be a better time to consider teaching not after your 1st class. That way your physically up to the task and have the technical structure.

Could I have said it nicer:dunno: I’m not mad at him:wav:

Unstpabl1… You were a bit harsh. I definately understand what you’re saying and I’ve blocked peoples promotions for the exact same reason, but there were probably about 2 million more tactful ways to get your point across. That being said, I tend to be a bit of an asshole every now and again too. Some people expect everything to be sugar coated, some people get pissed when you don’t come at them honestly. You just can’t win in todays society :dunno:

J-

mara-jade

quote vwr32:

You keep saying that… are u planning on going back?

We started last week:):

mara-jade

“…I find the thought process of you becoming an instructor in a month of training demeaning to krav. Its one of those posts that make outsiders squak about kMAA being watered down. Its like you don’t respect the system”

You’re gonna tell me honestly THAT’S ok to say to anyone you don’t even know??? That’s the kind of stuff that keeps people from posting here.:(:

wyatt9696

who are we to determine whether or not the op is suitable to be an instructor or not. only his instructor and the instructors of the phase training can determine that. i certainly don’t think he is demeaning KM in any way. IMO, he’s flattering the system by wanting to teach it to someone else. this thread has gotten off the subject of the op. he basically wants conditioning advice. how hard is it to give that to him. if he fails at phase training, he’ll know what he needs to do to correct the problems, or to determine whether or not instructor training is for him. instead of verbally pounding the guy, why not try and help him out with his situation. the personel attacks imo, are certainly not necessary. regardless of the outcome, we should support this guy. if it’s mean’t to be, it’ll work out, if not, so be it.

ryan

Okay, well, without addressing the merits of the argument, I don’t think Mike made any personal attacks. I find that people on forums get offended quite easily, especially with posts that seemingly lack the ubiquitous and obligatory sugarcoating. I think Mike’s intentions are good, as are Leam’s. I understand both sides of it, but I definitely see why Mike feels as he does, and I’m actually surprised more people are not commenting in a similar vein.

My job as an instructor is to build people. This can mean a lot of things. Typically when I give level evaluations, I talk in terms of “ready” or “not ready”, as opposed to “pass” or “fail”. While it may seem like semantics, I don’t think it is. If someone isn’t ready to defend themselves under given circumstances, then they shouldn’t want me to tell them otherwise. I think that’s where Mike is on this.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: