Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Hwa Rang Do "diss" on KM

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    thedaver

Has anyone seen this link:

http://www.martialartsinlosangeles.com/kravmaga/

Interesting marketing ploy to counter potential KM students. Seems far too complicated to me 🙂

pugnax88

Re: Hwa Rang Do "diss" on KM

Looks too flashy, and seems like he’s trying to build off the success of Krav with how he’s comparing his style to whats used in Krav.

saruotoko

quote thedaver:

Has anyone seen this link:

http://www.martialartsinlosangeles.com/kravmaga/

Interesting marketing ploy to counter potential KM students. Seems far too complicated to me 🙂

There’s certainly nothing wrong with Hwa Rang Do (sp?) as a quality Martial Art. But I think the ‘too complicated to me’ part you’re talking about Daver, is the difference between a Martial Art and a Fighting System (where I IMHO think Krav lies).

I just pinged a co-worker who studies a TMA that has similar technique, and says everything she saw in the video was sound. Coming from a TMA myself, I agree. But to get to THAT level of proficiency quickly….I honestly can’t see that happening for a lot of people. I’d take any of our L2 students over any other TMA’s students at the same level in terms of time-committment.

Happily there’s room for both disciplines in this city. I wish them every success. They are our cousins in helping people defend themselves. I DO have to give them props for doing a comparison to Krav. I think it was the first time I’ve ever seen that.

Think people are noticing the good we’re doing for (and with) our students? 🙂

Mario

psyops

Weird,

We should send them a letter and thank them for mentioning the system in their ad. Why even bring up Krav Maga? Hwa Rang Do or whatever it is should be able to stand on its own merit. Just another system trying to eat off our plate. Come on now Traditional Martial Arts, you can do better than that.

thedaver

And, they include a lengthy description of KM and it’s origins on their link! The Hwa Rang Do studio is by the way very close to the NTC(Pico and Sawtelle) –

kmcat

I’m not sure about this guy. I watched the video and some of the “example attackers” looked like they were really getting hurt.

There was the one guy that looked like he had a some hurtful joint locks on and was grimacing and trying to tap out against the floor.

saruotoko

quote KMCat:

I’m not sure about this guy. I watched the video and some of the “example attackers” looked like they were really getting hurt.

There was the one guy that looked like he had a some hurtful joint locks on and was grimacing and trying to tap out against the floor.

Ever seen any of our OWN “Sample Attackers” (i.e. KM Assistant Instructors)? We kinda DO get hurt on occasion, too! 😉

The Occasionally “Dinged” Mario

maddogmean

I know that every martial arts has it’s own merits, but after comparing it to KM it opens the door to criticism. I saw at least two moves where the attacker was left with a weapon in hand where the attacker can still deliver lethal strikes. The defender went for a take down at the ankles while the attacker can come down hard with the stick he was wielding. The defender also went for a rear choke while the attacker still held the knife. Personally, I wouldn’t trust my life with these moves.

blokrocbet

WOW whats up with all the krav maga plugs?

leejam99

here is a simple test. take 2 people that have never taken any type of self defense or martial art. put one in this system and the other in KM. have them learn 1 technique for 1 hours…let say a defense from a big looping punch which would be a common attack in the street.

in KM, we would teach you 360 with a simultaneous counter attack(punch to the face). A very instinctive move (your hand coming out to block). HRD would teach you some type of movement with a joint lock. Completely non instinctive move.

After 1 hours and maybe after they are physically exhausted and under stress, attack them full speed and power with the same punch and see who can perform their technique. I would bet on KM.

Why? a normal person without extensive training will most likely not be able to perform a complicated join manipulation during stress. I would even go as far as to say even a person WITH extensive training will not be able to. I don’t know if anybody here has ever been in a real fight but…your brain really isn’t functioning 100% when your under extreme stress and adrenaline kicks in.

Its just like the people that practice Kali and Escrima. in the system, there are a lot traping, redirection, fancy movements. Now, go watch the Dog Brothers spar 100%. you will rarely ever see any of the fancy stuff.

fancy shamancy does not work under stress for most people. Krav Maga was created for the majority.

BTW, this website even states in BOLD, “KRAV MAGA OFFERS THE QUICK FIX…”. uh yeah! i want to stop my attacker/threat quick as i can and go home!

t-j

WTF?!?!?!? That was one of the weirdest advertisemnts I’ve ever seen. I don’t even know how to respond.

blokrocbet

i dont see how this could work with mulitple attackers

kirk

looks like it has some good, but a lot I don’t like. From what I recall from the video their was a straight stab with a knife, when it was defensed he let go of control of weapon. I would never want to give up control. I didn’t like a lot of the ground and leg attacks, I wouldn’t feel comfortable with diving my head into my attacker.

Just a couple points I saw with watching the vid once through.

maddogmean

I saw the same thing.

thedaver

I’ve never understood how all the trapping stuff etc would work in a fast and furious encounter, especially against multiple attackers. It looks cool but the effectiveness escapes me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: