Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books I have a shotgun question, need expert opinions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    corey-marsh

I am about to get a home defense shotgun. I am trying to get my hands on the Benelli SuperNova Tactical. (the 5th and 6th gun down)

Two questions
    1) What style of stock is best for handling a shotgun as a striking or blocking weapon? I am wondering if I was in a very CQ situation where I was engaged with someone too close to shoot, would be more effective to have the pistol grip/fixed stock or just a traditional stock.

I have shot a few shot guns but never trained with one for fighting.
    It seems like the pistol grip out give you better control, but limited movement because of your wrist position, opposed to a traditional stock which would be easier to maneuver quickly.

2) I have heard it is not a good idea to keep a shell carrier on the side of the receiver because it is like having a bomb next to your face when you aim. He said if the shells were hit by a shot of bb they would go off. He recommended the shell carrier that goes on the stock instead.

Any thoughts or expert opinions would be helpful. BTW im not trying to build a video game style tack gun with lights a lasers and sights and a disco ball, I just want a solid pump gun, easy to maneuver, with ****ton of rounds.

Originally this wasnít a concern in my stock decision, I was only thinking what felt the best while aiming in a high stress situation, but Jeremy has been talking about the weapons class starting this summer and he said we would train with everything from knifes to long guns, and hopefully get some shotgun practice in there

bull1189

Re: I have a shotgun question, need expert opinions

As to your first question, the gun is a lot less important than practicing with it. Get whichever one feels better in your hand. Don’t look to these as parrying weapons, if somone comes in your house, lock yourself in your bedroom, with your shotgun, and call 911.

As to the question about shell carrier, let me guess, the model with the shells in the stock is more expensive, right? Think about the premise of that statement: a pellet from another shotgun hits the shell carrier, which is next to your face and mounted on your shoulder already, and you are going to be worried about the shells exploding??? You’ve got bigger worries at that point than the shells exploding.

Lastly, how you going to store the weapon? Do you have kids? Kids come around? Lots of stuff to think about over the weapons effectiveness at room clearing.

ETA: nice shotguns, btw, you have good taste.

russell

i second the speed feed stock option(the one that hold’s the extra shells in the stock)if they make it for the benelli, as for your remark about lasers and a disco ball(lol) i would say a flash light on the forestock would be a gread addition, the light would disorent and blind the attacker (why do you think swat teams have them?)

just my 2cents
    russell

Corey,
    Ask me at class.

unstpabl1

quote corEy Marsh:

Jeremy has been talking about the weapons class starting this summer and he said we would train with everything from knifes to long guns, and hopefully get some shotgun practice in there

:woohoo:That sounds like the place to train:beer:

benelli

Very nice piece indeed.

Rather then expounding of the benefits of one vrs the other my suggestion would be to discuss it with Mr. Stafford as I have read several of his weapon related posts and have no doubt he is extremely knowledgeable on the subject. I seem to remember him saying he was a range master at some point so it seems as his student you are in good hands.

Good luck with your purchase~

corey-marsh

quote Bull1189:

As to the question about shell carrier, let me guess, the model with the shells in the stock is more expensive, right? Think about the premise of that statement: a pellet from another shotgun hits the shell carrier, which is next to your face and mounted on your shoulder already, and you are going to be worried about the shells exploding??? You’ve got bigger worries at that point than the shells exploding.

Lastly, how you going to store the weapon? Do you have kids? Kids come around? Lots of stuff to think about over the weapons effectiveness at room clearing.

ETA: nice shotguns, btw, you have good taste.

You are 100% right, if shots are that close, its pretty much game over anyways.

And no, i dont live with kids or have any over. I live in a really nice nieghborhood with my cuz ad her B/f all in mid 20s.

But i have a 1st floor corner apt which is next to a main street. So if i were a criminal it would seem like prime terittory. That and i also park my street bike on my porch so i can see it from my bedroom or living room. And while a random break-in is unlikely, (but possible) im more concerned about someone scoping out my bike and getting a buddy to take off with it.

quote russell:

i second the speed feed stock option(the one that hold’s the extra shells in the stock)if they make it for the benelli, as for your remark about lasers and a disco ball(lol) i would say a flash light on the forestock would be a gread addition, the light would disorent and blind the attacker (why do you think swat teams have them?)

just my 2cents
    russell

I do like the flashlight forestock and it would be very intimidating (as well as blinding) shining through my window at someone trying to take my bike.
    However i have never handled a shotgun with such a forestock and am concerned about the bulkiness it adds and the weight of it. Plus it never gets so dark in my apt that i could not identify a person at night.

And for the shell carrier, not sure if they have a speed feed for Benelli. I would be surprised if they did. The SuperNova is a newer gun still, so not as much aftermarket.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Corey have you been by Gretas? might want to stop in and do some window shopping.

russell

quote corEy Marsh:

I do like the flashlight forestock and it would be very intimidating (as well as blinding) shining through my window at someone trying to take my bike.
    However i have never handled a shotgun with such a forestock and am concerned about the bulkiness it adds and the weight of it. Plus it never gets so dark in my apt that i could not identify a person at night.

And for the shell carrier, not sure if they have a speed feed for Benelli. I would be surprised if they did. The SuperNova is a newer gun still, so not as much aftermarket.

yes it will add weight but not much
    good luck in whatever you decide

russell

ps it’s nice to see some one want a home defense weapon and think of a shotgun

kirsten

Shotgun is great for home defense. We use the tac light on the shotgun for purposes of seeing, the rest is a hopeful addition but not counted on. If you dont practice with the light it will be useless, so get to the range and go through a low-light class. Most ranges worth anything have them. I prefer no pistol grip, but it is purely up to what feels best for you.

I purchased an elastic shell carrier for my stock because I have seen people get hit with the other ones. But as for the shells blowing up in my face… if I get blasted at that range and by chance that were to happen, the shells on the stock are the least of my problems.
    I prefer to save my “but what if’s” for fights between Elvis and Bruce Lee.. LOL

You sound like you have great resources at your hands with training partners and friends so keep picking their brains and see if you can borrow one to take to the range. But remember, train, train, and more training is imperative.

Dang it, I keep adding to this post… sorry for all the edits. Surefire makes a great little tactical light for rifles. I had one on my AR-15 and one for the Shotgun and another for the handgun… love ’em.

miche

quote Kirsten:

I had one on my AR-15 and one for the Shotgun and another for the handgun… love ’em.

Kirsten you are my new hero

benelli

Nothing more comforting then a well armed spouse, especially one with good taste in firearms

rcaz01

You may want to try and contact Thunder Ranch (in Oregon) and see if you can get a recommendation out of them. They are one of the top training facitilities in the country for tactical firearms use, AR, Pistol, and shotgun. I believe they work with a number of mfg’s. Both Wilson Combat and Robar do work in law enforcement and for the military, you may want to check out their offerings. They are usually crazy as far as price goes and I realize you said you did not want every bell and whistle out there but their sites are probably useful in determining how to properly choose any options you do want and the setup such as what kind of shell carrier they use.

As for other features make sure you like the safety, and action and that it is second nature to you. Any synthetic stock that is not plastic will be virtually indestructable.

kirsten

Lol… well I have led an interesting life and been able to use many a nice weapon in my day! I highly recommend everyone take a shooting class, regardless if you carry or not. Thunder Ranch is just as pricey as most and you will pay for the hype of such a large, well known organization. Most states have great ranges, you just have to look. I would guess that you could ask each firearms instructor at TR what they thought and each one would give you a different answer, adding “but use what feels best for you or you won’t use it”… Because that is solid cop-mantra.

Good luck and tell us what you decide and if you took a class.

rcaz01

Thanks for the correction.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: